“Not very good value”

Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Visited Yiannis Beeston at the end of December. The place seems bit bleak but was quite busy and the staff were very friendly. The food was OK but nothing special. Four of us shared a starter for two and then had a main course each. The portions seemed quite meagre and the French fries seem an odd accompaniment to a lamb kebab. A bottle of wine, one small bottle of beer and a bottle of mineral water and the bill with tip came to nearly £100. As a comparison two of us visited the Turkish restaurant in Nottingham, Antalya, and had a similar meal. This, without wine but with two beers each came in at £20 each including tip and I have to be honest and say the quality was much better. Would I go to Yiannis again? yes I would give it another go and I would try something different next time but I was not particularly impressed and I had been hoping very much that it would be as good as it looks from the outside and as the menu seems to promise because Beeston needs more restaurant choice.

2  Thank sunhouse60

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Decided to give it a try even though a little apprehensive considering some of the reviews, we are really glad we did, a great experience from start to finish, just the two of us.We were greeted with a smile made to feel very welcome and comfortable, had a drink whilst deciding what to eat, try FIX a Greek beer very nice!House wine £14 a bottle and very nice also, we decided on the Mezze at £23.90 each and were not disappointed, the food was superb, tasty, hot and plentiful. Give this restaurant a try you will not be disappointed!Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

First time i tried this restaurant and will not be going back.
The HOUSE SPECIALITY was off the menu also another lamb dish the only lamb dishes available was lamb chops and a kebab-i was told when the choices were not available-it is an excuse to revisit us and they may be available then.

Unprofessional and overpriced food that was delivered just mediocre.

3  Thank scottnad
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Visited Yiannis Beeston with 30 work colleagues on a busy Friday night two weeks after the restaurant had open. Yiannis was busy with a great atmosphere, we didn't have to wait long for our food which was great. We all struggled with our choices as everything looked lovely. I would highly recommend Yiannis. They may have had teething problems when they first opened but our experience was great. Will be dining there again

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Greek food can be delicious, with melt-in-the-mouth aubergines and rich flavours. The menu at Yiannis' new outlet in Beeston looked amazing, and I couldn't wait to go.

The restuarant was packed with not a spare seat, and the staff were rushed off their feet. Nonetheless, our drinks came quickly and the table linen and settings were of good quality, which made up for the bare whitewashed walls and rather austere interior (I'm not expecting a cliched Greek interior with plates and pictures of Greek scenes, but it would have been a bit bleak inside if the place hadn't been busy).

I ordered a Greek Meze starter which was a bit disappointing - a pitta bread cut in two, a bowl of hummous, a bowl of tzadziki,, one stuffed vine leaf, one mini stuffed pepper (thumb size) and two cherry tomatoes - sort of OK, but nothing I couldn't have done myself with a quick trip to Sainsburys, just 500m down the road.

Everyone's main courses arrived. But mine didn't. I was impressed with the huge piles of fries that everyone had, even though they seemed rather declasse in a £19.95 set menu. And when your food doesn't arrive it does rather make you focus on everyone else's food.

After about 10 minutes my aubergine dish arrived - horrah! I looked very nice; two towers of aubergine in a tomato/thyme sauce, a pile of lemon roast potatoes. The latter were very hot (suspciously so - microwave?) and tasty. Unfortunately, the aubergine was not. It was cold in the middle and I knew what had happened. The staff had forgotten about my food and rather than admitting this ("one minue! one minute") had shoved something from the fridge into a hot oven. This meant that (apart from it being cold) the melt-in-the-mouth aubergine sensastion I had been expecting was lacking. Quite honestly, I've had better cooked aubergine on Turkish Airlines (not as bad an insult as it sounds, the food on Turkish Airlines is great). Didn't complain at the time as I was too hungry and couldn't be bothered to lose my food for another 10 minutes.

Then - dessert! I don't usually bother with this, and really wish I hadn't. Earlier today, I gave my daughter a bowl of yogurt for her tea. My 'lemon Greek yogurt with biscuits' looked EXACTLY THE SAME - a bowl of yogurt. No biscuits. We asked the a waitress where they were: "Are they at the bottom?" she asked before running away, never to return.

Some friends had other chocolate-based dishes which looked fairly robust, not least because of the squeezy chocolate sauce which was unceremoniously blasted over each dish with the finesse of a five-year-old.

I suspect that our dining experience would have been better if the restaurant had been less busy, and the staff not so new, but still a lot of basics in terms of presentation, care, and attention to detail were lacking. Also, £19.95 for a meal I could have cooked myself made me feel rather ripped off, when I could have popped across the road to The Library Tapas Bar and spent less and had a meal which was memorable for the right reasons.

I really hope the Yiannis improves as the staff gather experience and confidence as Beeston needs more restaurant choice, but I'll wait a while for better reviews before heading back.

1  Thank Liz B