“Mild chili...I don't think so!”
Review of Georgetown - Nottingham - CLOSED

Georgetown - Nottingham
Georgetown - Nottingham
Cuisines: Malaysian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Booked a table for a dinner with some business contacts we had come to Nottingham to meet up with. The actual reservation process was somewhat tricky as the man I spoke struggled to understand me as his English was not very good.

The menu looked quite exciting & there was one special available on the blackboard. The starters were perfectly acceptable but myself & one of our guests chose "Rendang Ayam, breast of chicken flavoured with aromatic lemon grass, mild chilli and coconut" for our main course. When it arrived I was concerned as the paste on the top of the chicken was very dark in colour! Our guest was even more concerned as she cannot eat very spicy food, so she asked me to try mine first. Within seconds of tasting the back of my throat started to burn! This dish was almost chicken with hot chili paste on a bed of rice; you could not taste the lemon grass or coconut & I certainly wouldn't have described the chili as mild! When the waiter came to ask if all was ok we said we were not happy & that this dish was very spicy & not as described on the menu, he was polite & said he would speak to chef, he promptly returned with 2 glasses of orange juice. Although we felt that this was some sort of apology we were not happy. I ended up scraping the chili paste off my chicken but our guess couldn't eat hers & actually left it.

Colwick Hall didn't charge us for these dishes.

In all it was an embarrassing experience as our guests are very important business suppliers & we had hoped taking them to such an idyllic setting would be an enjoyable evening but we were mistaken.

I did email the management at Colwick about this but sadly they have not replied to my message! Next time we visit this area it will not be Colwick Hall that we stay at or eat at either.

1  Thank Melinda_Stuart

Reviewed August 6, 2012

My husband and I had a great time at this restaurant. We went there for dinner on a Saturday night. The service was very good and the food was great. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

I have been for lunch a couple to times at the Georgetown Restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The food was excellent, the Singapore Sling is now my favourite cocktail, the venue is first class and ideal to take corporate clients as it is near the city centre with plenty of parking and will impress. I look forward to returning very soon. Try it and be impressed!

Reviewed May 10, 2012

The sandwiches were very chilled. The ginger cake and fondant icing mini cake were Mr Kiplings. The cream for the two small scones were from a can and had reduced to half its size and was foamy by the time we used it. This was a birthday treat from my daughter, even though it was from a groupon offer which meant we got it at a discount, the food was definately sub-standard. The service and decour was excellent, just the food that let it down so badly.

Reviewed March 17, 2012

This was our second visit to Georgetown. We were intrigued to find the menu had changed significantly since our earlier visit, with seemingly less focus on the Malaysian cuisine the restaurant was known for. The restaurant itself is welcoming, with lovely views over Colwick Park, and the staff are incredibly friendly.
For a starter I had an amazing Laksa, which was full of flavour and really whetted my appetite. Though my main (Beef Rendang) was nice, it perhaps lost something in the attempt to present it as high-class hotel food; a pile of rice, with beef slices arranged on top and a little (not enough) sauce. On the side was some fried okra, which was lovely. Desserts were also nice - homemade strawberry ice cream livened up a generic chocolate tart - but nothing out of the ordinary.
It felt a little as though they've been advised to focus more on traditional hotel food (Steak. Cajun fish) when they should be showcasing the magnificant Malaysian food that sets them apart from other restaurants in Nottingham. Worth a visit.