“Not a 'Run of the Mill' Indian Indian Restaurant”
Review of Kayal

Kayal
Ranked #21 of 1,266 Restaurants in Nottingham
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Kayal - The first authentic Kerala seafood speciality - has become the most popular of its kind to the people of Britain and this family run group of restaurant has become a favourite with dedication and passion for good food. Numerous awards and recognitions proved them distinctive to the normal fellow restaurants. 'Healthiest Restaurant Award' proved that Kayal do care about healthy food. Kayal is all about tradition, qualities, discoveries, fresh ingredients and aromas. Facilities: Entertaining Clients, Groups, Private Dining, Reservations, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Dessert and Bar Scene.
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I visited this restaurant as part of a small family group and was pleasantly surprised by how good the food was. Having said that we began by having a starter called ‘Pappadavada’ which was fairly disappointing. The dish itself was quite bland and the relishes that accompanied it did not improve the dish too much. The main course however was excellent. All of my party was pleased with their selection. Kayal is south Indian cuisine which differs significantly from the more widespread, and popular, northern Indian cuisine. Those from the south tend to be more delicately flavoured and less highly spiced. For my main course I chose the Alappuzha Konju Masala, a dish of king prawns cooked in a sauce with coconut, ginger, curry leaves and onions. The dish was excellent though I didn’t like the fact that some of the king prawns still had their shells on. The décor in the restaurant is pleasant and the prices very reasonable. The total bill for two courses with two bottles of wine and a few soft drinks came to less than £120 fopr the five of us, which represented good value for the quality of the food. I look forward to making a return visit to Kayal and further sampling south Indian cuisine.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I went there with a party of 8 on saturday night. The service was snail pace taking half hour to get our drink order only to then have a glass of wine split on 2 of my friends when the drinks finally came. Not a good start. The food came about 45 mins later and was Delicious. Unfortunately the bill came with no discount or apology for the bad service and wine incident. But after making the manager aware of what had happened we were given a 15% discount, a free round of drinks and an offer to pick up the dry cleaning bill resolving any bad feelings. Will definitely go again but probably on a quieter night.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have been there three times and thought it was fine the first two times. I ordered the same food so couldn't find anything bad about it - it seemed great! However me and my boyfriend tried something different the third time and realised that all food just tasted the same - of coconut! It's fine if you have several dishes that have the same curry base, however you couldn't taste the fish or meat in those dishes which could only lead to thinking they must be hiding poor quality of the produce, more or less how curry was invented anyway. One of our dishes was too watery and almost spilling out of the plate. I was quite disappointed and I won't be going there again.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Popped in for lunch when I was in town with my wife the other day. You can't complain about the price of the "business" lunch at £5.95. There was plenty of food for the money and it was obviously freshly prepared. The Dosa was very good, the curries though were a bit "samey", the flavours of them were not very distinctive, though they were pleasant enough. My wife as a vegetarian especially enjoyed her meal as the other (non-Indian) restaurants we cast our eye over, on the way to the Kayal seemed to have a notion that lunch for a vegetarian, had to involve cheese in the starter and main courses! Service was pleasant, though we were sat at the front of the restaurant by some doors and it was a bit chilly. We will return but ask to seated elsewhere!

Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

After an amazing meal in their Leicester restaurant I was excited to visit them in a Nottingham.

I wasn't disappointed. The aubergine curry is to die for.

Excellent value and good sized dishes.

I enjoyed it so much that ten of us returned the next night for a work dinner and everyone was very impressed.

This is certainly not your ordinary curry!