“About average I think”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“About average I think”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My first time in this pub. Went for a birthday celebration (not mine) and there were 14 of us. I liked the decor and layout of the pub which had a cosy and comfortable feel about it, and I also liked the seating area outside which was really pleasant on a summer evening. The staff were all pleasant and friendly but the service was slow. I don't normally complain about slow service because food does take time to prepare but this was very slow.

The menu had a good choice of dishes, I chose lasagne for main course and Eton Mess cheesecake for dessert. I have no complaints about the food I had, both dishes were really good. However, a couple of other people at the table said their chips were barely warm but neither complained because by the time it arrived they were ravenous and just wanted to eat! My partner had sirloin which he said was ok but nothing spectacular. I think the food is a bit over-priced for what it is, but it was ok and they do have offers Monday to Thursday on some dishes.

So overall I would say it was average. If the service had been a bit quicker and the bill a bit cheaper it might have got a very good, but having said that I will possibly give it another try as it's within walking distance for us.

• Visited June 2013
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Ferry Inn, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Lorraine810, thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback was a concern to hear and I would like to investigate these comments further with the Management Team of the pub. I have sent you a direct message to discuss this further and look forward to hearing from you soon. Kind Regards, Chef & Brewer.

“Tastes like microwave meals”
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

We had two of the most expensive mains on the menu the rib of beef which was bland and the lamb which tasted like a frozen lamb shank microwaved. Was just about edible as I was so hungry. Won't return. Disappointing as we heard such great things about this place.

• Visited April 2013
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Ferry Inn, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Sophiadvisor, thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your feedback was a concern to hear and I would like to investigate these comments further with the Management Team of the pub. I have sent you a direct message to discuss this further and look forward to hearing from you soon. Kind Regards, Chef & Brewer
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Good food and atmosphere”
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

This pub has great setting, nice building, funky decor and nice food when it's served on time. They just have to try to get the service sorted out.

We have been goin for years and keep giving it a try and it's always it's one downfall. But the foods ok for the price

• Visited May 2013
“Birthday lunch”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

On the plus side we were given a private dining area as there were 15 of us including children and the waitress who was dedicated to us was very friendly and constantly checking we were all okay for food and drinks. The desserts got a big thumbs up but the mains fared slightly worse. Those who had the Sunday dinner complained of huge Yorkshires in place of mash and a decent amount of veg - the veg on all the mains was quite hard. I'm all for retaining the flavour but there's al dente and raw. My main of venison pie had a fabulous gravy but the pie was all pastry and little meat, what there was was fatty and i could not finish it.
We have been a few times now and this was the worst, whether it was the size of the group or the lateness (3pm) but this wasn't near the standard we'd had previously when visiting with friends and family. We will come again and give it another chance so fingers crossed!

Visited April 2013
“Not the best.”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I booked a table online and received two comfirmation e-mails as a reminder of my booking for the Sunday. My partner had never been to The Ferry Inn before, I and my friends wanted to show him what a great little pub it was....we arrived on time and were promptly shown to our table under my surname. Once we had ordered our drinks and looked at the menu I was approached by a manager who began to interrogate me about my name, when and how I had booked the table, his manner was rude and suspicious as it transpired that we had been seated at the wrong table and a party were ushered in as we were left to make our excuses, embarrassed, and sit outside till a table could be arranged for us. This was not a great start and to be honest the manager even made a point of telling us that they knew nothing of our booking, we really felt unwelcome and were pretty much made to feel as if we had tried to walk in and steal a reserved table from guests. The food was fine and the server Dan was brilliant but we just felt really annoyed and deflated by our treatment. You should not have to justify your own booking. Yes, accidents happen and things get overlooked but do not treat your guests like an inconvenient 'chancers' who just turn up and try to pinch tables!!!! thoroughly annoyed and disappointed despite spending over £150 I can honsetly say I will not bother again, we did not even get an apology once I had shown my confirmation e-mails which, It beggars belief I actually had to do in order to convince the staff I had made the booking in the first place. All of our group live in the city centre and really made a point of wanting to get out of town and enjoy ourselves for the day...it could not have been more of a wasted journey.

• Visited March 2013
4 Thank Lerob17
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Ferry Inn, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Lerob17,

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Ferry Inn in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards