“Just like being in France!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of French Living

French Living
Ranked #95 of 1,405 Restaurants in Nottingham
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A family owned brasserie in a French provincial town...Nottingham! Since 1994, this delicious Gallic haven, presided by charismatic Corsican Stephane Luiggi, has created a tiny piece of France in the centre of Nottingham. Today it's a thriving, bustling restaurant on two floors, with a ground floor dining area for up to 40 customers boasting a unique Deli Corner, offering farmhouse unpasteurised cheese, wines from small growers, French grocery essentials, as well as some rare brocante finds. A large red-bricked basement room, for up to 44 diners, is reminiscent of Toulousain restaurants, La Ville Rose, where Stephane met his Nottingham-born wife Louise. The dishes and menus are typical of a French bistro; simple, classic recipes, all home-made from fresh ingredients. Stephane and Louise aim to serve meals that make the French feel at home, and the British remember their holidays. Authenticity, combined with a desire to share French culture, to pass on knowledge, from translations to the hidden gems of Corsica, makes French Living a truely unique, warm and memorable experience.
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
“Just like being in France!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

The service was excellent and the food was authentic, simple and delicious. Good house wine and a nice relaxed atmosphere. Very reasonable price.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Aimee B

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Did not get it right!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

I ate with friends on the 8th March. Trying to be very fair on the plus side it was great to be served by French waiters. The wine was good and the waiters were more than pleasant and helpful. The down side was the food. We all had mussels to start. They were over cooked and had been left out for too long before coming to the table. Cold on top. Served without bread. Really poor. My main course was sea bass. It was over cooked and swimming in oil. A really small portion too. My friend had the beef which was cold. The other two mains were both over cooked. A real shame.
They were busy but if you get that busy the standards should not slip.
So, comparing this or others restaurants in Nottm it was a poor experience. Perhaps I had a bad experience but looking around I could see others were not impressed.

• Visited March 2014
FrenchLivingUK, Owner at French Living, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Our French waiting team work extremely hard in our small business structure, so I love being able to reward them with positive feed-back. This really does motivate and uplift spirits, so thank you. In terms of your food, the absolutely perfect situation would be for the dishes to reach you piping hot. If any dish arrives cold then this is unacceptable and you should notify the staff. We are constantly striving to improve our systems in order for extremely busy services to be managed smoothly so I thank you for pointing out these eroors and I apologise unreservedly for not delivering a delicious evening for you and your guests.
In terms of bread, we are probably the only restaurant in town that offers free baskets of baguette throughout the meal. You would have been given a basket of bread before your starters arrived. If you ate all the bread before the starters arrived then usually you would be offered more by the waiting staff, or you could have asked the waiter for a re-fill at no extra charge.
The ideal scenario for any restaurant would be to have reasonably busy services every day and evening, evenly spread and balanced. Instead we have to contend with calm, followed by comforatble, culminating in wildly, busy. Striving to perfect the wildly busy service is an on-going puzzle and one we are always aiming to solve. I do hope you will give us another go - why not treat yourself to the mid-week "comfortable "service?
Nottingham
“Ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

We sat downstairs and it did smell damp. My friend had soup of the day... Mushroom only it was not. She said it was rather bland. The snails I had were good. A very long wait for the main course which was nice but nothing special. The creme brûlée was lovely. There was a nice atmosphere but the staffing seemed disorganised. We did not even get a side plate for the bread and were only given a spoon for dessert. I expected more sadly.

FrenchLivingUK, Owner at French Living, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
It took me a long time to recover from the shame of watching my French husband, when he first arrived in the UK, by-passing the side plate and putting his bread directly on the table! In French homes, in French restaurants, cafes and bistros like ours - that's to say with paper tablecloths, there are no side plates. It does feel awkward at first. most customers start by perching their baguette on the corner of their plate before progressing to total liberation, pure Frenchness and placing it on the table!!! Being able to break away from our conditioning is not easy, but I have found that it enables me to enjoy experiences so much more, without judging, simply with an openess and freedom of heart.
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Close your eyes and think of France”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

My fifth visit to this venue, and I can say that I really do not need to choose anywhere else for my pre-concert theatre dining. It is authentically French, the menu mixed and exciting, the wine list adequate and the value just about right. You can't beat the location for Theatreland in Nottingham. If you speak a little of the language, the staff are only too helpful to let you have a go which simply adds to the experience. It was a wonderful experience for my lady guest to start off celebrations for her 60th Birthday. Special thanks to our fabulous waiter Francois. (not sure whether you were giving me the book as a gift to take home ? - sorry we had to dash....) Désolé nous avons quitté avant de dire au revoir...........

• Visited March 2014
“Un bon endroit pour légionnaires étrangers ...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

One of our long term eating houses, and this is my first review... A place full of character and traditional food we idled away a couple of lunch time hours chewing the fat together. Comes highly recommended...