“A voyage of discovery menus over the past 18 months - give it a try!”
Review of French Living

French Living
Ranked #93 of 1,438 Restaurants in Nottingham
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A family owned brasserie in a French provincial town...Nottingham! Since 1994, this delicious Gallic haven, presided by charismatic Corsican Stephane Luiggi, has created a tiny piece of France in the centre of Nottingham. Today it's a thriving, bustling restaurant on two floors, with a ground floor dining area for up to 40 customers boasting a unique Deli Corner, offering farmhouse unpasteurised cheese, wines from small growers, French grocery essentials, as well as some rare brocante finds. A large red-bricked basement room, for up to 44 diners, is reminiscent of Toulousain restaurants, La Ville Rose, where Stephane met his Nottingham-born wife Louise. The dishes and menus are typical of a French bistro; simple, classic recipes, all home-made from fresh ingredients. Stephane and Louise aim to serve meals that make the French feel at home, and the British remember their holidays. Authenticity, combined with a desire to share French culture, to pass on knowledge, from translations to the hidden gems of Corsica, makes French Living a truely unique, warm and memorable experience.
UK
“A voyage of discovery menus over the past 18 months - give it a try!”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

It has come to my realisation that I've yet to do a review for French Living and I've been to pretty much most if not all of their regional discovery special menu evenings that are held on a quarterly basis on weds and thursday evenings (from recollection) for the past 18 months. Initially we were invited here by friends who were curious as to whether me and my french OH would consider the cuisine to be authentic French and enjoy it as much as they clearly do! Well, we rate our friends good taste so we gave it a whirl. I have to say, for the first time I did check it out with my friends without my French OH (he was in France that week) and this gave me the confidence then to wholeheartedly recommend it to him, as he can be a pretty blunt critic in matters of food and other things!. Needless to say, he always suggests we return to try out other regions of France cuisine. We particularly enjoyed the Corsican cuisine, as at that time we had recently returned from a holiday there and it brought back happy memories of that beautiful island, its sun-infused foods and wines. You will need to pre-book these several course fixed regional menus where each course is accompanied by a matching glass of wine. You will not be disappointed if you are prepared to cave in, submit and be guided by their choices, even if that is not your normal style of approaching food and drink choices!. My last visit was in January and we are due our next evening amongst friends there in May but I suspect I might try out the daytime lunch menu for the first time before then. The staff are genuinely charming and without artifice, true pieds sur terre!. That is a refreshing change in an increasingly anglo-saxon americanised superficial global culture we live in that is full of branded high street eatery chains. Guard this gem close to your heart so it remains the case for decades to come!

A bientot et bon appetit!

• Visited January 2013
FrenchLivingUK, Owner at French Living, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
I would like to thank you for your descriptive and passionately written review. This one almost brought me to tears, particularly your last line describing us as a "true gem". Creating and building French Living into the business it is now has not been easy, and we have had to work hard at maintaining its unique identity and French values. It could have been very easy to sweep some of them away (particularly when you receive bad reviews from customers who simply do not understand us) but I am proud of our resistance and of not blending in with the bland, high street crowd. I too hope French Living will be around to put more smiles on faces for many more years to come.

willoughby
“Comfort food.”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Revisited this bistro/restaurant after a gap of several years, to find little changed. That is part of the charm of French Living, which has a slightly old fashioned approach to food. Much like eating in a family run restaurant in France twenty or thirty years ago. Straightforward dishes, with no trendy `towers` of multiple ingredients surrounded by slicks of trailing `jus`. The kidney starter was first class, rich and flavourful, as was the venison. Despite being nearly full, the service was excellent; most (?all) of the staff being French. A good value meal with a pleasant buzzy atmosphere made for a great evening.

• Visited March 2013
“Value & Service”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was my third visit to French Living, over a 10 year period and I am pleased to report that it is still as good now as it was the first time.

We chose to take advantage of the "Pre Theatre Menu" on this occasion, as were on our way to the theatre and needed a quick meal. This menu offers excellent value for money - £7.90 for the one course we had. My beef casserole was beautifully tender and my partner's omelette perfectly cooked. Both were served with home made chips, side salad and their signature garlicky French beans.

Service was excellent, polite and quick, but we didn't feel we were rushed and we were finished in time to walk across the road to the theatre.

I would thoroughly recommend French Living for either a quick economical meal or for a full blown French dining experience. The food is genuine French restaurant fare - so pay them a visit for a taste of France without the channel crossing!

• Visited March 2013
“A Gallic Gem”
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

After a morning's shopping, we popped in to French Living for a lunch off its Fixed Price Menu. As always the quality of food is excellent , and it feels like eating in France rather than being in the centre of Nottingham. There is a great feel to the place and never been disappointed with my meals there. The menu changes frequently and on today's menu was an excellent apple and celeriac soup , and a lovely beef daube stew.

“Always great food”
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

We come here occassionally and always find the food is great. The venison in blueberry sauce is my favorite. Its a little pricey but worth it for a treat.