“Peaceful country retreat”

Stanshope Hall
Surrey
“Peaceful country retreat”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Spent four nights at Stanshope Hall. A perfect "away from it all" retreat. A wonderful breakfast served each morning by excellent staff. I still wasn't hungry by lunchtime!! The 17th century house is surrounded by a lovely English country garden. On my arrival on day one I was welcomed with a tray of tea and cake, served in the lovely garden. The area has much to offer, and is a walker's paradise. I was in the area to attend a family wedding in the beautiful Tissington Hall, which is open to the public, but not every day. Worth checking this out if you are in this area. I hope to visit Stanhope Hall again - this area is now on my revisiting list.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank venus2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I was charmed by this place. We only stayed one night, wanting somewhere to stop for the night so that we were closer to Alton Towers (the outing for the next day).

We made good time from London and stopped on the way for a not-very-good meal in a pub. So it was a delightful surprise to be offered a wine list after we'd settled in at Stanshope Hall. A B&B with a wine list?! A new one on me but an excellent idea. We opted for a very decent bottle of burgundy and the fire was lit for us in the comfortable living room. Perfect!

The welcome was very warm and genial. The decor of the place is definitely 'quirky'; the walls are all covered with murals and the furniture is of the mismatched variety. But the rooms have wonderful proportions and great high ceilings (and the odd draught to match). The building is also set amongst some stunning countryside ... just be prepared for the cows and birds early in the morning.

The next morning, we were introduced to Lynn who was on cooking duty. If we'd had more room in the car we would have kidnapped her! Breakfast was fabulous. I have no hesitation in recommending this place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ilkeston Derbyshire
Reviewed March 13, 2012

While we were visiting and I was reminiscing over Leek in North Staffs where I was born, we agreed that we couldn't do it all in one day. Looking on the internet on tripadvisor and other sites my husband found the the starkly beautiful Stanshope Hall. One glance at the bedrooms, dining room and drawing room told us all we wanted to know. We couldn't wait to see the place. We booked the striped room on tuesday and headed over to the Peak District National Park the following day. During my teens with my brothers, all of us members of the Youth Hostelling Association, I spent many happy hours hiking around the peaks, so coming here was like coming home. My husband, born and bred in Leeds West Yorks had no idea that the Peak District National Park was so stunning. Now he knows. After leaving Leek we made our way over to this fabulous house following the sat nav through the Manifold Valley. onto Butterton Moor.There are at least three different ways to reach Stanshope Hall possibly more, we found the worst or the best depending on how you view steep muddy winding roads. Turned out there were easier more direct routes but we missed those.

The first thing we noticed on entering this imposing house was the stone staircase upto the bedrooms. Now that was right on! I'm thinking I'd like like a stone staircase in my own house. We were made very welcome and offered tea or coffee with biscuits. We were shown around the dining room and the drawing room and then the bedrooms. The walls in the Victorian dining room are painted with murals of wildlife and the views from the house. I was very inspired as my grandfather used to paint scenes on the walls. There was a big open log fire, comfortable furniture and a wonderful coffee table. We were told we could light the fire in there in the evening. Our bedroom was spacious and warm, the mattress and pillows were lovely and soft. I sank right into the pillows. The wardrobe door kept opening by itself. and the creaking floorboards reminded us of home. It was perfect.

When we arrived the only other occupant apart from Alison who welcomed us in was a gorgeous three leggied cat who wanted lots of cuddles which I gave him regularly. He was so cute I would liked to have taken him home. In the evening we lit the fire and the two of us and the cat sat in the drawing room with a bottle of wine. Alcohol and soft drinks are available and nicely priced. We are retired we don't have alot of money to throw around so this wonderful B&B
was ideal. At £70 for the room and breakfast in such an outstanding place you can't go wrong. We loved it and we're going back. It's a piece of serenity nestling in the Peaks and we hope it will be there for a long time yet. Nothing can beat sitting in front of a log fire in the Victorian drawing room with the full moon shining through the windows in the middle of the Moor. and yes breakfast was cooked to perfection. Try their homemade granola cereal it's delicious. I could go on and on but I mustn't. See it and stay there you will adore it.

Marilyn and David
Derbyshire.

Room Tip: The Kings room and the Striped room have beautiful views over the moor and the cheapest of the rooms...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ozellucia
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Located at the head of Hall Dale that runs down into Dovedale, Stanshope Hall is in a great location. You can walk straight down into Dovedale or go via Alstonefield or head off to the Manifold Valley. It is also a top notch B&B - which is a bit of an understatement. We stayed in the King's Room, which was very large with a comfortable bed and sofa. The windows provided wonderful views - even from the bathroom, which had a great bath. The room also looked good with the curtains drawn, which made it very cosy.
We had a light supper when we arrived late on Friday night which was very filling, and the cooked breakfasts were first rate - quality food (be it kippers, or the traditional English breakfast) prepared to order supplemented by fresh fruit and homemade muesli.
The lounge was spacious, comfortable and had a roaring log fire when we arrived. The decor was an eclectic mix – traditional with quirky touches - with the lounge, the bedroom and the bathroom having murals
The staff were helpful and welcoming.
A truly great place to stay .
If I had to find points to quibble about.......the perspective of the mural in the bathroom and they served Derbyshire and not Staffordshire oatcakes - but I still want to go back

Room Tip: Romantic weekend - the King's Room
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Staffstyke
Reviewed February 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a few nights in November 2011 as we had hired a car and were exploring the beautiful peak district.

We wanted somewhere secluded and quiet and somewhere we could walk out of and go off on a hike. We got more than we expected, this place is a beautiful old building set amongst the peak districts stunning landscape and we really did just set off out the front door along the public trails. We stayed in the king room with windows facing out every direction, very comfortable bed and lovely bath! The room was clean and very spacious, just a little bit chilly sometimes a few draughts through the windows.

Breakfast was cooked fresh every morning and there was delicious fresh fruit and home made muesli too. We especially loved the sitting room with the open fire that was prepared daily for us to light if we wished to (we did!)

Staff were wonderful and welcoming and we especially enjoyed the cake and tea on arrival! Would love to come back here again someday.

• Stayed November 2011
Whittlebury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We wanted a get-away couple of days in rural Peak District with great walking and this place was ideal. The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful and the decor and surroundings were first class. Breakfasts were full and fresh even if the AGA did take half the morning to heat up. We had the king room at the front with great views but dubious wallpaper. Only downside - TV was broken for Rugby World Cup final but they let us use the snug in the private quarters to watch the game on the big TV

Room Tip: They are all good!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2011

The hotel staff were so friendly, we were made to feel as though we were staying in a family home. The breakfast was marvellous with plenty of choice and all freshly prepared.
A very nice touch was a full sized guest fridge situated outside of the bedroom area.
We were invited to light the prepared open fire, which we did and enjoyed a picnic meal in front of a blazing fire, using crockery and cutlery provided by the hotel.
There are no eating places nearby so this is something to bear in mind.
A lovely stay and thank you to all the staff. Patricia and Lewis

Room Tip: There are only 3 bedrooms, master, double and twin and each has an individual theme so when booking...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese Inn
Old Shoulder of Mutton
Old Shoulder of Mutton
#1 of 4 in Winster

Been to Stanshope Hall? Share your experiences!