“Amazing place, quiet, peaceful and spectacular!”
Review of Derwent Dam

Derwent Dam
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We were in the area driving to Sheffield and we had some time to kill so we thought we would go and have a look. What an amazing discovery, I have been to Hoover Dam in Arizona and although Derwent is not as tall, you can get really close to the face of the dam here at Derwent. It's amazing to see the water cascading over the edge. The surrounding area and countyside is outstanding and we wished we could have stayed longer. (a return visit pehaps) We really wanted to walk up the valley further to Howden Dam, but we didn't have enough time. The visitors centre has enough to offer, food, drinks, information and toilet facilities. Have have to pay for parking but it's not too bad if you want to stay for a few hours or even the day?
One thing I did learn from this visit was that two villages were flooded in order to make the reservoir that leads out from below the dam, Derwent (some ruins can still be seen if the water levels are right) and Ashopton.
Bring your camera, there are plenty of great photo opportunities. There also plenty of picnic tables and seating near to the visitors centre.

3  Thank ManHeadingNorth

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We parked in the car park of Upper Derwent Visitor Centre. You can pay for a 2-hr stay or pay for the all day parking. They have a beautiful cafe. We got some veggie pastie, sausages and coffee from the cafe and sat on the outdoor seating overlooking the reservoir. The view was beautiful and the food tasted so yum.

Then we walked to the Derwent dam. Derwent Reservoir is around 1.5 miles with Howden Dam at the north and Derwent Dam at the southern end. There are some steps and gate next to the Derwent dam that take you to a higher level and you can then continue your walk to the nothern part of the reservior. The walk is beautiful and it is lovely to see how the water flows on the dam.

We were having such a wonderful time in the valley that we never wanted to return back to the hotel.

1  Thank LotusLakeland
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I have visited this place during my Peak District birthday weekend and I don't regret it at all. My wife an I had a 3-4 h ride (on our bikes) around the dam from the main car park and we enjoyed it a lot. We were surprised to see it that busy at the beginning of the spring and we can only imagine how busy it might be during the summer months.

The car park is big enough to accommodate a lot of cars but there are also a few other smaller car parks around so I don't think parking will be a problem. The road goes round the dam with the water on one side and forest on the other side. There are a few other roads going deeper in the woods if you have the time or energy to follow them.

Be aware of the ducks in the car park, they are begging for food and they surround you like a pack of hungry dogs but they are quite funny in their attempts of getting your attention. They are harmless but they can be a nuisance if they see yourself eating.

A great day out for the family.

1  Thank Daniel T
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I drive across the Snake Pass from Manchester to Sheffield regularly and one sunny afternoon we decided to follow the sign to Derwent Dam before we got to Sheffield. I hadn't been there for many years so I wanted to remind myself what it was like and show the kids as well. We drove all along the road to the main car park where there is are picnic tables, a souvenir shop and a café. We parked the car and watched everyone feeding the ducks and then as it was warm we went for a walk round the dam.
I had forgotten how lovely it was here and how fantastic the views were. The Dam and the surrounding area are beautiful and we all really enjoyed it. My niece from Canada was with us and she thought the place was lovely. Will definitely be back when the weather allows.

3  Thank rollergirl52
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I have come to this place more times that I can mention. And I probably always will.
Many years ago (as a teen) myself and a friend climbed the dam wall only to swing my over the top and hit water - it was that full. While I was young and stupid, I return often.

There is a superb visitors center with shop and amenities and of course car parking.
Sometimes when the water is low you can see the old village ruins in the bottom, at other times the water cascades right over the dam wall.

There one other thing of course... This is where 633 sqn under the command of Guy Gibson practiced their WW2 attack on the great Dams of Germany and there is a memorial to that and to those young souls lost.

In the splendor of this stunning countryside and in the land I know so well - I'll always return here from time to time.

I hope you enjoy it as much.

4  Thank Simon W