“Unfriendly and awkward”

Danielle's Bistro
Ranked #8 of 113 Restaurants in Hexham
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Danielles' Bistro is an excellent restaurant just tucked away off the main street in Hexham. The cuisine is British and Mediterranean and the servings are generous. This restaurant also offers a set 2-course lunch menu for a mere £10.95 And a set evening menu from £15.75 Which is available all night Tuesday - Friday. The interior is rustic and traditional and offers seating for up to 60 covers. It is advisable to book your table as Danielles' is regularly busy.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We chose this venue as a birthday celebration last night to celebrate my friends 21st birthday,we were all in good spirits and looking forward to our meal however it pretty soon became apparant that we were not being made to feel welcome,firstly we sat and watched other tables being offered bread which we were not,and as we sang happy birthday it would appear one or two of the staff were sneering at us and were being very awkward to say the least.the icing on the unsavoury cake was having to approach a member of staff for our change for what she must have thought was a £15.00 tip,shocking,we spent over £200 in your restaurant,this sort of service is not what you would expect,poor service and snobbish staff.

4  Thank Shellglen

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have lived in Hexham for 17 years, and have lost count of the number of times I've eaten at Danielle's.
It has changed since the new owner took over. The blackboard menu has gone. The creativity in the food has gone. The flavours in the food have gone.
The service was very slow. Ten minutes to get menus and a drink, a further 15 minutes to have our order taken, and a further 15 minutes to get our starters: 40 minutes from entering the restaurant to eating.
The meat was good, and well cooked. Vegetables were plentiful, fresh and lightly cooked. Everything else was terrible. I ate a chicken starter with 'Sweet Chilli Sauce': actually a tasteless, gelatinous orange goo. I ate Guinea Fowl Breast and Wild Boar Sausages with 'Red Wine & Mushroom Sauce': actually a tasteless, gelatinous red goo.
The restarant looks the same, the menu is similar, the prices are the same, but it's almost a pastiche of the original Danielle's. Avoid.

3  Thank Manic_Traveller
rickyfroldi, Owner at Danielle's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Thankyou for taking the time to post a review and let me apologise that you have not enjoyed your visit to Danielles Bistro.

I can only assume that from your description of the delays in service that it must of been an extremely busy night as this is most unusual as we do tend to greet customers and seat them immediately with menus and a basket of bread along with taking their drinks order. With regard to your 15 minute wait to place your order, generally, we would give a customer 5-10 minutes to look through the menu and decide on their dishes, so yes 15 minutes is a little excessive. We do aim to get all our starters out within 20 minutes of the order. As all our food is cooked fresh to order certain dishes, such as chicken will take approximately 15 minutes especially when you take into consideration other orders are being taken at a similar time on a busy evening.

As the owner and previously head chef at Danielles for 10 years prior to that it seems that your main complaint was the sauces, as you have stated that the meat was well cooked and the veg was fresh and plentiful. The Sweet Chilli sauce recipe has remained the same throughout my time at Danielles and can not see how a sauce with such powerful flavour profiles can be described as tasteless, vinegar, sugar, tomato puree, onion, peppers and chilli peppers, surely it would be an achievement to make that lack in flavour!!

With regards to the Red Wine and Mushroom sauce this is made from freshly made stock using beef, lamb and chicken bones combined with a good quality red wine and port. The drawback to using any fresh stock is that it can go slightly gelatinous as it cools down, we counteract this by using piping hot plates.

It seems a shame that you feel the need to warn people off Danielles because you had one poor experience in 17 years. Yes, a few changes have been made in the restaurant but these were all made after careful consideration and listening to customer feedback over the years. We have always remained focused on producing high quality dishes using the best produce. It is a disappointment when someone wishes to write negative comments on a public site without being given the chance to rectify those problems. At no point during your visit was i made aware of any issues with your meal. As a person from the local area it is equally important to get feedback as that is our core customer base but i would of been alot more appreciative if this matter had been raised in person rather than on a public forum.

Please feel free to drop by anytime or give me a call if you wish to discuss anything further, as i said it seems a shame to lose a loyal customer after 17 years.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Another trip to Daniells Bistro, this time for my Birthday meal with friends and I was once again extremely happy with the great food and great service from all the staff.
Its certainly my favourite place to eat in Hexham.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Having moved to the area 7 years ago, there was no doubt where the venue would be for my birthday meal last month having become a regular at Danielle's ever since my first visit. And boy did it not disappoint!

With there being 10 of us most chose to go off the evening set menu which is great value for money and portion size is not compromised like you find at a lot of great restaurants. I had the ravioli starter - a favourite of mine, followed by a fillet. Perfectly-cooked, served with well-seasoned veg and crispy roast potatoes... I was almost struggling to make room for dessert. But I knew I couldn't leave without having my favourite - the Brandy Snap Basket!

The amazing food, on top of attentive service, top quality food and a fantastic atmosphere is what makes me come back here time after time again and I recommend it to everyone as I know they won't be disappointed.. and trust me - you won't be either!

1  Thank sinclair_109
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Stopped by on the off chance of an early evening table for 4 & amazed to get in on a Saturday. One of the best meals ever! Salmon smoked haddock fishcake starter & twice baked souffle prepared to perfection. Followed with succulent duck and generous sea bass mains. Beg cooked just right. Staff attentive in a busy bistro never faltered. Finished with parfait & sticky toffee pud & coffees/mints. Cannot rate highly enough. Packed out, so will make sure we book next time. Very lucky, & wonderful evening. Thanks to talented chef & great waiting staff. 5* restaurant.

rickyfroldi, Owner at Danielle's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Many thanks for your positive review. We appreciate it greatly and your comments will be passed on to the staff. We hope to see you again soon.