Falstone Barns
  • Breakfast included
$95
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewspheasant innversace glamourfrench bourgeoiskielder waterthe barnfrench apartmentblack cock innkielder observatorymain bedroomsky tvlocal pubtwo nightsself cateringwood burnerpower showermobile phone receptionnearest shop
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Me and my partner stayed at Falstone Barns last year and were very impressed, and we decided to go again hoping for the same level of peace, quiet and relaxation....and we weren't disappointed!

Got to meet the owner this time, and she was very pleasant and very informative of the barn, the area and local amenities which we were very grateful for. The apartment we stay in was the Classic Opulence, and was located on the first floor. I have read a few reviews of people staying downstairs and hearing nothing but the people upstairs banging around.....so we played it safe and got the upstairs apartment! But made sure we were quite and respectful for anyone downstairs! I hate inconsiderate people....anyway!......

The apartment was fantastic, very clean and fresh with everything you could need in the kitchen to cook a good meal, which we did. The bathroom en-suite was lovely, with a nice deep bath and a good walk in shower. The bed was comfortable, two beds pushed together, but still very comfortable.

All in all, this is our second visit and loved it just as much as the first, can't recommend it enough!
But the only advice is, after reading many similar stories, maybe try to always get the upstairs apartment!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2014

This is a difficult review - the Barn itself was beautiful and did cater for everything. spacious and thoughtfully decorated . We went to relax and unwind and did tell the owner Nicky when she greeted us shortly after arrival ( I found her to be pleasant and informative ) .We couldn't have been more explicit in our 'need's' in that we wanted to relax unwind and have PEACE and QUIET . The first night offered all of the above we had a great meal at the Pheasant Inn and a good nights sleep in a tranquil country setting . We went out for the day and completed a great walk feeling refreshed and ready for another quiet night with a quiet meal and a final nights sleep . When we got back to the barn a 'family ( nee heard of Elephants ) had 'moved' in upstairs . I'm a parent however is there any need to let your child run and I mean run up and down shrieking !! I wanted a nice realxing soak in the huge rolled top bath - lit candles put bubbles in and had my i pod on I could still hear the child running and shrieking so much for an unwinding bath ! we went for dinner . We returned it was quiet - yeah !! however 7:00 am we were woken by the child running and shouting -so we got up dressed and left ! so much for a quiet break in the country - would I recommend Falstone - yes I would HOWEVER I would be careful which room you choose - we were in the bourgous appt and this is downstairs and if like us you want peace and quiet you won't get it if you have anyone above you you can hear everything ! I mean everything ! note to the owners - yes there were a few cobwebs I can put up with that - but more information regarding 1st floor and ground floor and maybe recommendations if wanting a tranquil stay to book a top floor appt ?? just a thought as the family upstairs really ruined what should have been a relaxing weekend and let's be honest it's not cheap !! would I go back no but as I said I would recommend with the caveat in place .

Room Tip: Choose upstairs !
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank auntygin
NickeyFalstone, Owner at Falstone Barns, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

I appreciate the thought spent in putting this review together. It is clear that the guest was hoping to have a relaxing stay with us.

There are 2 points to be raised here. The first is that the French Bourgeois is advertised as the apartment which is family friendly and has VisitBritain status as such.

The hope therefore is that young families will take advantage of booking this apartment. However, our business is very busy and it may be that due to the demand for accommodation, this doesn't always happen. Indeed sometimes young families do book the Classic Opulent apartment.

What I would say, is that the language we use in the descriptions of apartments, influences the mood and aim of the delivery. We describe the Classic Opulent apartment as Very Grown Up.

However to take the guest's point, I will certainly look at altering the age criteria of 2nd bedroom guests for this apartment. Although it has to be said, that we have entertained young families in this situation before, without any problems. This is borne out by the quantity of positive reviews which can be viewed on our website as well as tripadvisor.

As to cost of our accommodation, our 2 bedroomed apartments at the time of this booking were between £85-£120 per night. Given that this calculates at between £22.50-£30 per person per night; I would suggest that this might be difficult to achieve in the most modest 3* B & B.

Finally, and on balance; I would say that we are disappointed that this guest would choose not to return, however would emphasise that we are happy to deliberate the suggestions they have made in this review.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

We have stayed at Falstone Barns many times before, however, this time the owner Nicky was very rude and had a poor attitude towards me.
The place looks its age now with cob webs everywhere, light bulbs not working and grease on the oven and extractor hood.
Its not worth the money she is charging and there are much better places cheaper with a better service.
I will not be going back to stay

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank DarlingtonDave_10

It's such a shame this guest has had recourse to stating his experience in this light. The reality of this visit is that the guest was disappointed that the price of his accommodation was not what he was hoping for. There was no mention of the in house issues raised in his review at the time and in a subsequent conversation with him.

In the spirit of the excellent customer care we deliver on an ongoing and regular basis and in the light of his previous stays we honoured his request. However I would note in my response that it would not be in my interest to take a rude and poor attitude to any of my guests.

I am pleased that the vast majority of our visitors, experience a wholly contrasting attitude and hope that the reader will respect and understand this sentiment.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Stayed here july 2013. Overall was beautiful but not too impressed with a couple of things. On arrival the owners were no whers in sight so we guessed our room, it had a key in the doorand wasthe same as pictures. The medieval apartment. The treethat lights up is amazing, providing you can find the switch. Afterfinding the owners they were nice, and showed us. The next morning there was no hot water. The t didnt work also. Shame , most resolvable issues howevr for the price we paid would have liked better. Beautiful apartment, lovely helpful owners.

Room Tip: French looked nice, lots bigger than medieval
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank markandbeth2014
NickeyFalstone, Owner at Falstone Barns, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

So sorry to have heard you had trouble locating your apartment, All guests are sent a Welcome letter outlining general information about the area and also instructions as to how to locate their apartment and access the key. Guests are advised to bring the Welcome letter with them as a reminder.

The Welcome letter outlines that we meet and greet between 4-6pm and advises to let us know in advance if a guest is planning to arrive later, so that the key can be made accessible to them.

Had we known about issues with a shower, we would have endevoured to address the problem immediately; since we aim to achieve the highest possible customer care standards.

Since reading this review we have assessed the shower concerned and have found no issues. We are neverthless grateful that the reviewer at least alerted us to the potential problem.

We are delighted that the guest had a lovely stay, however it sounds as though one of our other apartments might have been more suited to their tastes.

At Falstone Barns we offer a wide variety of themed apartments which means that we have repeat visits from guests who like to enjoy each space independantly.

So sorry you could not locate the tree lights. Will make sure the switch is clearly marked in the guest handbook.

Would love to see you again, maybe next time in the French Bourgeois apartment.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed at Falstone Barns just before setting off to Keilder Winter Wonderland. We had booked two rooms, French Bourgeois, Versace Glamour. The stay was fantastic with every home comfort catered for. We were contacted on the day of travel to get us to book in a little earlier, if we wanted, as the weather was fantastic and the night sky was amazing.
Great customer service and a wonderful stay. I would thoroughly recommend this accommodation and we are already arranging dates to revisit.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family