“EXCELLENT”

Ranked #10 of 130 Restaurants in Hexham
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Winner of the Best European Restaurant honour at the North East Restaurant Awards and conveniently situated opposite Hexham old swimming pool on Gilesgate, Bouchon Bistrot serves straightforward country style French cuisine, including daily specials in the evening. Born in the Loire Valley and having plenty of experience from working in Michelin starred restaurants throughout France, the owner of Bouchon Bistrot is an expert when it comes to traditional country cooking in France. The culinary delights of the French countryside have now been brought to the North of England and are served in Bouchon Bistrot at reasonable prices. Sample tasty starters such as Pork Terrine with herb salad, followed by delicious main courses including Roasted Skate Wing with beurre noisette and capers. With each dish prepared and cooked in a simple fashion, Bouchon Bistrot is the ideal spot to enjoy an informal and family-friendly dining atmosphere in the heart of Hexham.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Superb dinner with interesting menu. Could be in the heart of France. Definitely worth a detour. Escargots are excellent!

Date of visit: May 2019
Write a ReviewReviews (1,014)

Reviewed June 8, 2019

First time in this restaurant. My husband and I came for our anniversary. We had a drink at the bar, had a look at the menu then we were taken upstairs to our table. The restaurant ran like clockwork. The food was very delicious and we would return.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed June 4, 2019

A most unusual restaurant on what appears to be just a small town. Hexham is lovely and this place was an excellent place to eat. The menu was interesting and a little out of the ordinary, with a varied wine list.

Reviewed June 2, 2019 via mobile

This is my second review of Bouchon following my visit last year in which I gave 5 stars. This time it's only getting three. Arrived for a family meal. The restaurant was extremely busy. Full upstairs and down, and with a large party in the rear room. Service was friendly but incredibly slow. Nobody wants to feel rushed but 30 minutes from finishing a course to ordering the next and then a thirty minute wait before that arrived is not acceptable. It was obvious this was because there were too many covers.
So what about the food. A bit mixed for me. The French onion soup I had was perfect. I can't fault this in any way. For main I had rump steak. Again cooked perfectly to my order, but the duck fat chips were hard and chewy, the steak sauce not very flavoursome and the buttered vegetables were almost raw. Don't get me wrong, I hate sloppy veg but I do like it to be cooked at least slightly.
Coffee was not great. I didn't have a dessert but the other members of our party did and they looked really good and were enjoyed. So overall the food varies from poor to great, ambiance was good, it's a really nice place to eat ( apart from the table of drunks behind us) and I'm guessing the service is good as long as you don't go on the busiest nights.
I'll go again, but I'll pick a quieter night and hope things are better. So just average for this review, and I think that may be being generous.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed May 31, 2019 via mobile

We booked by email and received a prompt confirmation. Staff were charming and attentive. We chose from the set menu - the food did not disappoint and both of us were extremely happy with the flavoursome choices we had made. The chocolate mousse with peanut butter crackle was to ‘die for’! Overall a great pre-theatre meal and good value for the three courses that we had. Many thanks!