“Very good”
Review of Bouchon

Bouchon
Reserve with OpenTable
Bouchon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 114 Restaurants in Hexham
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Winner of the Best European Restaurant honour at the North East Restaurant Awards and conveniently situated opposite Hexham old swimming pool on Gilesgate, Bouchon Bistrot serves straightforward country style French cuisine, including daily specials in the evening. Born in the Loire Valley and having plenty of experience from working in Michelin starred restaurants throughout France, the owner of Bouchon Bistrot is an expert when it comes to traditional country cooking in France. The culinary delights of the French countryside have now been brought to the North of England and are served in Bouchon Bistrot at reasonable prices. Sample tasty starters such as Pork Terrine with herb salad, followed by delicious main courses including Roasted Skate Wing with beurre noisette and capers. With each dish prepared and cooked in a simple fashion, Bouchon Bistrot is the ideal spot to enjoy an informal and family-friendly dining atmosphere in the heart of Hexham.
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Good food and good service - what more can you ask? Ask for more characters- why my comments say it all!

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I had a friend to stay for the weekend and we tried this restaurant on the off-chance. Despite it being 1.30 and being busy, we were seated at the bar, served drinks and seated within 5 minutes.

The tables were beautifully laid with heavy linen napkins and good cutlery.

We went with the prix fixe £12.95 for 2 courses with a choice of 4 dishes in each section. Delicious terrine and steak frites and my friend had bream. Although they stopped serving food at 3pm, we were not hurried in finishing our meal.

I will be back.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We walked in on a Thursday at approx. 13:15 hrs for lunch, no reservation. We're received with a smile and a warm greeting. No question of "have you made a resevation?", we asked if they had a table for three and were very promptly accommodated on the upper level.

Drink orders were taken almost instantly and the menu followed. The staff were professional, efficient and approachable.
Food orders were taken at approx. 13:35hrs and the staters delivered soon after that. The main course arrived at 14:20hrs. We were allowed to converse and digest our starter without being rushed with the main course.
In all, a truly relaxing and enjoyable lunch.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Some nights everything just clicks. last night was one of those. We booked ahead and arrived at 8:30 to find the patron and his staff keeping the momentum going beautifully. Our table was ready and the rest of the restaurant was full. It does have a wonderful warm feeling to it and having a lot of very nice clients must help enormously to the vibe.

It is, of course the food, we go for. We did push the boat out last night and used Greg's (the patron) knowledge of accompanying wine for the various courses. I had the impeccable french Onion Soup to start - served with gruyere cheese and croutons. It was sublime. I had that with the remains of a fino sherry. Next was the incomparable Rib Eye steak, with duck fat chips - so nice my fellow diner had some to complement his duck. The steak was perfectly cooked and the pepper sauce was smashing!

Cheese boards followed (I had port with mine - perfect) and this really is a winner with a varied selection of delicious cheeses each different, but tasty and served with a small bread roll.

I had a sweet - clafoutis and this again came with a suitable pudding wine. I have tried most of the puddings, and I really do like the clafoutis - hot, rich and sweet. A perfect ending.

Coffee followed and we rounded it off with some calvados.

It was three hours of well-paced, beautifully prepared and served food in a very relaxed atmosphere. The staff are a delight and add enormously to the experience - take my tip and have them guide you though the wines, it really enhances the experience.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Booked a table for my birthday to this amazing French restaurant again. it is truly delightful with the most amazing food. Staff are helpful and chef very accommodating, as prepared to make an assiette of desserts as I was undecided!
Not able to offer a single suggestions as to how the dining experience could be enhanced. It's just perfect!