The Twice Brewed Inn
The George Hotel(Chollerford)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewshadrian's wallsteak piebeer gardenpennine waywelcome sightsteel riggreal alesycamore gapgreat stopate herebelly porkmilitary roadstayed two nightslovely mealsunday lunchbar foodhousesteads fort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Me and my fiancé stayed here on 1 Feb for one night - we got a Groupon as a Christmas gift.

Arrived at about 7pm as we had been at work all day, the staff were friendly and polite and had us checked in within a few minutes.

We were taken to our room and I was surprised at how nice it was. I don't know what I was expecting but it was better than what I thought it would be. Double bed, sofa, wardrobe, TV with freeview. Our room overlooked the beer garden and had a view of fields further on, quite pretty to look at the next day in the light. The bathroom was clean but could do with updating - the water pressure from the shower was poor but at least the water was hot!

We went to the bar area for food and both had the steak pie - it was one of the nicest things I have ever eaten! You got loads for your money and the pieces of steak just melted in your mouth, delicious! We didn't have to wait long for the food to come either, there were others in the bar but it wasn't busy.

We had breakfast and left early-ish the next morning and didn't go on any walks (it was more just to have a night away than to go out on walks). Breakfast was good, we had a full english, you didn't get loads but there was enough. They also put out a selection of cereal/tea/coffee that you can help yourself to.

We checked out and paid our tab (another good thing, you could just put everything on your room and pay when you left).

If you're looking for somewhere nice and quiet with what I understand to be a good location for Hadrians Wall then I'd recommend The Twice Brewed Inn. I know we will be going back, at least for the steak pie!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband and I booked this weekend away in November last year as a little treat to look forward to after Christmas and in the depths of the January depression and we are so pleased we did!
Lovely relaxing place and then perfect venue to relax on a Saturday afternoon with a glass of wine in front of the fire.
Our bedroom had a wonderful view and we were lucky to be there during the snow which made it even prettier. We felt like we had driven to the middle of nowhere yet in reality were only 45 mins away from home.
We came down for dinner on Saturday evening to find a lot of people from the afternoon were still there enjoying a pint or two! We had a lovely pub meal a few more drinks and then a very pleasant sleep indeed.
All of this followed by a delightful breakfast the following morning.
Highly recommended and a well worth the money, we will definitely return!

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We were a large walking group of ten who called in here for our after-walk pint having been soaked from a very wet walk. The welcome was warm, the lady behind the bar was very helpful when it came to choosing our brew especially as she knew what she was talking about beerwise.
The Red Dust (Consett) was well-kept and tasted delicious.
A perfect end to a tough walking day.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Twice Brewed Inn was a welcome retreat from the bracing winter weather. The owner was especially helpful, seeing as we'd turned up to walk Hadrian's wall without a map! We were able to check in early, leave our things in the lovely double bedroom which looked out onto the snowy hills, and then get out into that same wilderness. We were directed to a lovely 8 mile circular route which led us directly alongside a part of the wall and then across to two of the old forts, both of which have museums attached. Even the hardy northerners had been kept away by the snow, so we didn't learn much more than you can make up with a quick peek!

When we returned to the Inn, it was great to see the roaring fire and notice the range of real ales at the bar. We settled down in the lounge, chose from their range of board games and chatted with our fellow travellers. One of the things I especially liked in the bar was a map with hundreds of tiny pins, denoting the cities all the visitors had come from.

In the evening we ate in the restaurant and I can heartily recommend the homemade steak pie. All the meat is locally sourced and with the tender beef falling off my fork in strips, it showed! Breakfast was also tasty, and plentiful. You may be surprised I'm adding this after my ode to the steak pie, but they do provide veggie options, including a cooked vegetarian breakfast.

The decour of the inn is a little dated, and you can tell it's been a family run business for a while.

Overall really enjoyed my stay and the only stressful part was trying to make it out to the main road in the snow!

1  Thank Sc0tswahey
Reviewed January 26, 2013

On a snowy night was lovely to be met by a real log fire.
evening meal was to die for we both had steak pie and it was homemade jammed full of meat.
Room was to a good standard.
Owners care for enviroment and let you know what steps they have taken to do this in their information in the room.
The staff we met were friendly.