“Friendly to both people and dogs” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Seating, Takeout
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Friendly to both people and dogs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Cafe Nero in Hexham is staffed by friendly people who greet you with a smile and thank you for your custom as you leave. Exceptional enough in todays society but they also welcome well behaved dogs, making a shopping trip to Hexham as pleasing as it is typically in Keswick.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

“What one would expect from a coffee shop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Nice decor, nice coffee, soups, paninis and sweet stuff. My only complaint is it's a little noisy downstairs because of the coffee machine, but this doesn't really matter because most of the seating is upstairs.

Visited January 2014
Prudhoe, United Kingdom
“Not As Expected”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

I'm no expert, but I do know when things are wrong since, in my town, there’s the benefit of a world class coffee shop (Ginevra Espresso Bar) which makes it easy for me to compare with other coffee outlets.

A few months ago, I had my first experience of Caffe Nero in Fenwicks Newcastle store where I ordered a cappuccino but was served a below average coffee in a latte glass!

I do have to say that the staff were first class, apologised & served me the correct product immediately.

It wasn’t great as the coffee flavour wasn’t particularly well developed but it was palatable & the topping was reasonable dense & creamy. I’d give it 7/10.

Also, although a busy store, there were plenty of cheerful staff & the store, which had a nice ambience, looked fairly clean & tidy.

Yesterday, myself & a friend visited the Hexham outlet but here the experience was much worse I’m sad to say.

I ordered a pair of ‘skinny’ drinks...a grande cappuccino & a small latte. While I was waiting, I couldn’t help noticing the lack of cleanliness.

The work surfaces & equipment were stained & the chrome tray on the espresso machine looked more than overdue for a good wipe. Regrettably, those poor standards were reflected in the product.

My cappuccino was, at best, worth 4/10. The coffee flavour was weak & also tasted strangely stale. Additionally, the expected dense cream topping could only be described as a weak froth.

My friend also noticed that the coffee flavour in the latte was weak. The milk & froth were acceptable but again, not as dense as would be expected. I scored this drink 6/10.

In view of the cleanliness I’d already spotted at the counter, I had a closer look at the area where we seated.

The surrounding surfaces were dusty & the table clearly hadn’t been wiped since the previous customer.

However, this wasn’t the end of the problems. When paying for my coffees, only one of the tills was working which meant I had to stand around while other customers were being served.

There were only two staff working which may be part of the problem here as the Hexham outlet is comfortable & cosy and located in an excellent & busy pedestrian only position.

Maybe I’ve been unlucky or maybe the sheer excellence of my local outlet has made me extra fussy. Mistakes can happen & I can forgive the Newcastle store.

The problems in Hexham however look much more serious & certainly do the Nero brand no favours. Other outlets nearby seemed to be more busy. I wonder why.

And what was consistent in both outlets was a lack of flavour strength in the coffees as evidenced by 3 drinks in 2 different outlets by 2 separate customers.

On a separate note, I didn’t notice, and wasn’t offered, any of the survey cards mentioned on the Caffe Nero website.

In view of Nero's group performance, I can’t imagine that these issues are general. However, for now at least, I’m not inclined to visit Caffe Nero again.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Hannamrj
Hexham
“Caffe Nero was here first!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I like Caffe Nero. The staff are friendly and helpful, it's warm, they have comfy seats and wifi and it's never too busy. You can buy a coffee and sit all afternoon with a paper if you want - nobody will mind. The coffee is okay (but not my favourite) the food is okay (but expensive) But that doesn't matter. It's just a nice place to take a break. Costa has arrived in Hexham in a big way but for me I think I'll keep going to Nero. It's a nicer atmosphere (though I do prefer Costa Coffee.
Caffe Nero was the first of the 'premium' coffee places to come to Hexham and I think still the best. If the coffee was more to my liking I'd give it 5 stars.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Hedgehog344
hexham
“Expensive but worth it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Nero's is a great cafe for food or drinks. The atmosphere is light and the food is tasty and the drinks are great but I don't think that the food and drinks are worth as much as you pay so I don't go often but when I do I love it. It's a very clean cafe too with a good well-thought-out seating plan.

• Visited July 2013