“Excellent Day Out”
Review of Falconry Days

Falconry Days
Ranked #1 of 36 things to do in Hexham
More attraction details
Owner description: Bird Of Prey Centre with over 75 birds of prey from around the world located in the middle of Northumberlands National Park.Visitor centre open every day from 11am, picnic area, hot/cold drinks and light snacks.
Reviewed April 20, 2013

An exceptional experience set in an exquisite location. Mandy was really informative and I learnt a lot of interesting facts about owls. Delicious homemade soup was served up by Mark. I can’t wait to go back. Thank You Falconry Days Northumberland.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I had the privelage to experience this fantastic day out along with my daughter and granddaughter on Sunday the 14th of April. Mandy, Mark and Steve were very friendly and welcoming, Marks home made broth was beautiful, sorry to say better than mine.
The whole experience was very informative and interesting. The best part was actually holding the birds and having the opportunity to be up close and touch them. Highly reccomended and would definately go back again. Good work Mandy and Mark and to your helper Steve, nice to see genuine people so passionate about their birds.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

What a fab experience! Knowledgeable, friendly staff, beautiful birds who seemed really well cared for and the opportunity to fly a number of different owls. My friend and I are already planning to go back! Would definitely recommend it.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Decided to treat my niece to an owl experience, but to be honest I was really looking forward to it too! We had no idea what to expect as kept being told by others, who'd been, that it was at Kielder and I kept saying it wasn't, I thought it was near Simonburn. It turns out there are two entirely different and separate organisations doing something similar. When we polled up I immediately recognised their branding, having watched them at the Northumberland County Show some time ago and remembered they were very professional and enjoyable.

It was a very cold day, although the freezing easterly wind had abated, but it was rather damp and misty. We were all given a special glove and then we met a number of different owls and given a very entertaining, but highly informative, talk about their anatomy, behaviour and various other aspects of their origin and behaviour.

After this we went to a gazebo where there were hot drinks and the opportunity to buy very welcoming and delicious home-made broth. We were then treated to a wonderful experience of allowing the various birds to fly to us one at a time. Although this may appear to be rather tedious whilst others were getting their turn, in fact it gave us an opportunity to take wonderful photos and learn even more about their behaviour.

I have to say the couple who run the place are very entertaining and give a warm welcome but also a really good insight into the work they do. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and I even volunteered my son and nephew to possibly do a voluntary day mid-week, when exams are finished as, although they have plenty of help at weekends, during the week they don’t.

I will definitely go back for the falconry experience but I think the 2 hour owl experience was well worth while, very enjoyable and probably enough for youngsters. Be warned, take warm clothing for feet, body, hands and head – it can be very cold but the warm welcome and the birds are well worth the effort!

1  Thank SLD60
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have visited Falconry Days many times over the last few years and have partaken in most of their experience days and I can only say it gets better and better. The staff are knowledgeable and friendly and the birds are always beautiful and well cared for. It is nice to see people who are so passionate about what they do! Defiantly visit again!