“Beer Garden”

Ranked #29 of 128 Restaurants in Hexham
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Lovely half way stop when walking from Hexham to Warden and back.The biggest draw is the beer garden and outside eating area.
Inside is lovely and very traditional decorated to a high standard,it has the advantage of a real fire if cool.
More restaurant than pub,food not cheap and it's a while since I've eaten there but it remains popular

Date of visit: May 2019

Reviewed May 5, 2019 via mobile

Called in for lunch today and found it very disappointing, I opted for the half portion which was a child size portion which still cost me £9 as opposed to £11 for the standard portion and beef was very tough and chewy and thin , we left feeling like we had been overcharged.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed April 28, 2019

Visted for an evening meal to celebrate two family birthdays. Main reason for this review is the fact that I was served the most appalling steak I have ever had. So tough I couldnt even get my fork in it to hold it never mind trying to then cut it .. this after having to ask poorly trained waiting staff (slow, didnt offer menu options, ) for a steak knife. It literally was the cliched 'tough as old boots'... asked for medium to well done not incinerated..the chef, a professional I presume, should be embarrassed to have served it up or they clearly dont care yet have the nerve to charge £22.95 which is just an insult given they advertise as serving 'good honest food.' I left half of it as it was near impossible to chew. Add to this the fact that I have never seen such a dirty carpet in a restaurant, looked as though someone had scattered bread crumbs & food debris everywhere, nor such dirty cutlery , (asked to be replaced) and we definately wont be back. Other meals were average, bland, some items cold or so hot, inedible.. kitchen doesnt appear to know what its doing. Clearly from reviews others have had a better experience so maybe we were just unlucky, though people on a table near us were also complaining, but I am so outraged by the assumption that you think you can charge 'top dollar' and serve up dross (did bring it to the attention of waiting staff despite not wanting to spoil the evening who did nothing) that I feel compelled to write this. Incidentally if you use the online booking request you will still need to phone to confirm as they may book you in but wont let you know that they have received your request - apparently their internet was down - I waited 3 days for acknowlegement / confirmation and they had received the request via the internet as were fully aware of it when I phoned.

Reviewed April 28, 2019 via mobile

Food was delicious however menu prices a little deceiving with tax being added afterwards, increasing the bill by £10!! A very expensive Sunday lunch.

Reviewed April 23, 2019

Stopped here at theend of a 5 hour walk not thinking i was hungry but i managed to demolish everything from my plate.
The place has inside and outside sitting option and opted to enjoy the sunshi e little bit longer.
The place was very busy, it was a little wait for our food butit did not disappoint. My partner had a lamb roast and i had salmon. Both were very good and more than plentyful.
It was also good value fir money