“Wish I could give my stay a few more stars.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rye Hill Farm

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Rye Hill Farm
Ranked #13 of 63 Hexham B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Red Lodge, Montana
“Wish I could give my stay a few more stars.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed for 1 night as I drove through Northumberland on holiday and chose this B&B because of all of the 5 star reviews on tripadvisor, as well as they accepted pets. It was a beautiful converted barn. The room was a good size. There was a very large bed, leaving little room to walk around the sides or a place for the pup to sleep on his bedding on the floor. I do understand the desire to offer a large bed, especially for couples, and it was quite comfortable. My only concern was that the proprietor was not very friendly upon check-in or at breakfast. This was such a surprise, as the majority of the reviews said they found her to be quite friendly and helpful. I asked about the farm and expressed my interest in sheep, but was not invited to have a walk around the farm or see the livestock. She seemed short and to the point when showing me my room. The next morning at breakfast, she took orders for the 3 tables, but after delivering the food, didn't come back to ask if it was to our liking or to chat with the guests. The breakfast was good and I had a lovely time talking with the others, from Australia and the Netherlands, but not a word from the hostess. I found this in complete contrast to other B&Bs in the UK and Ireland where the proprietors have spent time to talk with guests. I looked back at my own behaviour to see if it was something I may have done. I arrived at 8 pm, about 2 hours later than I had planned. I was traveling in bad weather, had become lost, and didn't have reception on my mobile to call to say I would be late. Possibly my being late was an inconvenience, though 8 pm on a summer evening didn't seem excessively late. My dog was quiet, I cleaned his wet paws prior to entering the building, didn't allow him on the furniture, and picked up after him outdoors, so I don't believe it was the dog. It was a beautiful location and had I felt more welcome, I would have given the review more stars.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank FilbertSheep
hillrye, Owner at Rye Hill Farm, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
I am so sorry that you were disappointed in your stay with me, as your review is some time after your stay I am unable to identify you. Perhaps I was very busy and unable to give you as much attention as I usually give to my guests, running a one man band this is sometimes a bit of a problem as I cant be in more than one place at a time! Rest assured, I always genuinely welcome guests here and endeavour to give every one as much time as is possible. Tours of the farm are not practicable at this time of year as the stock is out at grass, but any queries are always addressed, if asked and I would have enjoyed to have had some discussions with you

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for the weekend with his parents and Grandmother so we could attend a family wedding. We were difficult guests as we arrived extremely late on Friday night (11:20pm) and had to leave very early (7:00am) on the Monday morning, but Elizabeth was wonderful. She couldn't have been more welcoming and helpful.

The rooms were very clean and nicely appointed, using original features and renovated farming equipment to highlight the farmyard feel of the B&B. The rooms/ensuite could be considered a little on the small side but my partner and I didn't trip over each other too much :).

Breakfast was great, cooked to order with a good variety of cereals and toast as well as conserves and fruit.

We had originally booked until Sunday but requested an extra night which was no problem at all, even though we would be leaving by 07:00am, Elizabeth left out bread and cereals so we could have breakfast before we left.

I would definitely stay here again as the locale is lovely and the service was wonderful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is our second visit to this B&B, there is also a campsite at the farm and some of our party stayed on the campsite. The farm is in a great location for exploring Northumberland and has a great pub 'Travellers Rest' within easy walking distance.
The B&B is spotless and very comfortable, the breakfast is made to order with good quality ingredients and sets you up for the day. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Crakehall, , United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed for two nights when attending an event nearby. The room was very warm, clean and comfortable with everything we needed. Elizabeth allowed us to have an earlier breakfast so we could leave to get a good start to the day. The farm is beautifully position in glorious countryside with some lovely views - ideal for exploring Hexham and surrounding area. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
hillrye, Owner at Rye Hill Farm, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. WE always try to meet our guests requirments.
Wakefield, West Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

This place was very good for a rural B&B in a fabulous Northumberland setting. Everything was very laid back and relaxed but equally well organised and straight forward. All the essentials and nice touches were provided in the room and the breakfast was equally laid back but very nice with a hot fry-up to set you on your way for the day. The surroundings of a living farm were a joy with newly born lambs and free range chickens around the quaint buildings and gardens. Just 10 minutes from the wonderful town of Hexham and surrounded by forests and highly scenic walks. Elizabeth was very friendly and informative with the suggestions to take dinner in the nearby Travellers Rest and a walk in Slaley Forest being absolute highlights.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
hillrye, Owner at Rye Hill Farm, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for your kind words, we look forward to your return.
preston, lancs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed one night B AND B. Very comfy and large bed. Modern room. Lots of little extras, tea, coffee, chocolate, soap, shampoo, cotton buds etc.

Was allowed to wander on the land and talke photos of view and even the pigs.

Elizabeth was friendly and most helpful. I would gladly stay again.

Room Tip: Take your wellies to get out and enjoy the farm.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank mikeonline1
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

What could be a perfect campsite has been spoilt by the attitude of the owner. We were met by a very wet and muddy site but decided to play it by ear and see if we could pay by the night in case the conditions deteriorated. Upon checking with the owner it was confirmed that was fine for us to do. On our 2nd night the heavens opened and the site was a mud bath so we decided to cut our stay short by one night. On settling our bill we were told that we now couldn't pay by the night but must pay for the night we weren't staying as it was after 12. At no point was this ever mentioned to us. I feel this should have been mentioned at our time of asking so we knew our timescale and repeat business has been lost.

• Stayed August 2012
hillrye, Owner at Rye Hill Farm, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
I am sorry there was some miss understanding with these campers but I was not allerted to their decision to leave early until well into the afternoon when I had no oportunity to offer it to other prospective campers. I was at home all day so there was no reason why they could not have contacted me, if this had happen before the normal departure time of mid day I would not have charged them for the extra night.The usual arrival time for members of the Caravan and Camping Club to a CL site is from mid day, all campers are expected to abide by their rules.
As for the weather and the state of the field, that is out of my hands as this year it has been the wettest for 100 years or more nationally.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hexham
Langley Castle Hotel
Slaley Hall
Slaley Hall
#1 of 1 in Slaley
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,745 reviews

Been to Rye Hill Farm? Share your experiences!