“Disappointing Spa Visit”

De Vere Slaley Hall Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Spas & Wellness in Hexham
More attraction details
Owner description: Not 100, not 500 but 1000 acres of Northumberland moorland and forest play home to this magnificent, elegant Edwardian mansion. That the interiors are almost as dramatic as the exterior says it all. This is very old world grandeur with a modern twist. Bask in the warmth of the reception you receive on arrival, dine at Hadrian's Brasserie, or at the Duke's Grill. Indulge with a vichy water spa treatment or just flop in the fantastic indoor pool. The great outdoors doesn’t get much greater. After a bracing country walk in the wilds, or round on our championship golf course, retire to the Claret Jug and the 19th Bar for a stiff brandy. Surely you deserve it ?
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Booked this using a voucher system. Wasn't very good value for money. The actual treatment was lovely but everything surrounding it was pretty 'tired'. The changing rooms were a mess, there were no lockers so we had to go back to reception with our bags etc and leave them there. The pool got very busy with children having swimming lessons. We had our treatments late in the afternoon and when we came out there is no where to relax, no water offered etc. The poolside cafe was busy with families etc and the changing rooms - well there wasn't even a space to put a bag down other than the very wet floor. It was chaos. Wont be rushing back.

1  Thank Jofog

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Maybe we just expected too much from Slaley Hall.

We'd heard many good things about this hotel, but being put in a small, ground floor room wasn't a good start. The size of the room was just about acceptable. Standard of cleanliness was not an issue.

Everyone loves value-for-money, it doesn't matter how much you have. £9.90 for a bottle of Brown Ale and an Archers & lemonade is daylight robbery, there's no other way of putting it.

Food and service in the restaurant was first class. We had an evening meal and breakfast. No complaints at all.

At all times we found the staff to be professional and courteous. They were a credit to the hotel.

Advantages: Very helpful staff and excellent restaurant.

Disadvantages: Ground floor room (hate them) and rip-off prices in the bar.

Would we return? Maybe. We prefer Lumley Castle and probably didn't find enough at Slaley to win us over on this occasion.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

DO NOT GO FOR A RELAXING SPA EXPERIENCE

The Spa

This was very dissapointing and a real let down and not worth the money

Positives (theres not many)

friendly staff
good range of treatments
Hot stone massage was very good

Negatives

tiny changing rooms
the smallest jacuzzi iv ever been in, ques forming to go in so when you finally get to go in theres no relaxation as theres people staring and willing you to hurry up and get out.
pathetic number of beds in relation to the amount of people in there. literally people sat around waiting for anyone to leave a bed then racing over to get the bed, really not creating a relaxing environment
Screaming kids everywhere, running around, jumping in and out of the pool, splashing and shouting. How can you possibly relax when all that is going on?
My treatment was at 3pm I was still waiting in reception at 3.15 and was back in the reception for 3.55. clearly not an hours treatment (however I must stress the massage was very very good and no way a critism of the girl who did it, just not the hour I was expecting)
On the second day the spa was no better.
Expensive juice bar for refreshments with no menus just a chalk board behind the counter with 2-3 things on. Not everything they sell I must add, so you have to ask the girl behind counter to reel off everything they do.

The room

This was dissapointing, we had previously stayed at Oulton Hall and Slaley was nowhere near the standard of Oulton hall. Many cracks in the walls, cracks all round the coving, wall paper coming away and dated decor. Not the luxury birthday get away I had planned for my girlfriends birthday.

Evening Meal

In the Hadrian room, this was exceptional. Both me and my partner thoroughly enjoyed this part of the trip. The 19th and the whiskey snug are both nice places to have a after diner drink.

Overall

I cant help but feel dissapointed with the experience at Slaley, the grand layout and grounds cannot mask the dissapointing spa experience which for a spa weekend is the most important part.

DO NOT GO FOR A RELAXING SPA EXPERIENCE

2  Thank danw649
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is the first time I've ever left a review on tripadvisor but just felt I had too. I purchased a Spa Day through Groupon in January and have been trying ever since to book the day. I have lost count of how many times I or my friend have telephoned. When I have eventually got to speak to someone there is no availability. People promise to ring me back and never do. I've got to the point of thinking the customer service is so dreadful that I really don't want to spend a day at the spa. Is this a deliberate strategy of Groupon and Slaley Hall? Purchase a voucher which then can't be used? Perhaps that's not the case but Slaley have some real work to do if they are ever going to be in the same league as Rockcliffe Hall (whose Spa Day was amazing) or Seaham Hall (likewise).

3  Thank Oakfield_Mummy
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We love staying at slayley, everything about it is comfortable, friendly, nice atmosphere, lovely grounds, good food. I took my daughter for birthday spa treat, we both had 30 mins back massage, and 30 mins facial, which were both very good, and I did have the full 30 mins for each. However my daughters treatjent finished 10mins early. Very disappointed about this as the treatments are not cheap. I will formally complain to slayley, but it will notstop us from future visits as the rest makes up for this.
We also think for a spa the pool is quite cold!