“Looked promising - proved disappointing.”
Review of Station Inn

Station Inn
and 1 more site!
Station Inn
Ranked #36 of 62 Hexham B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 29, 2013

www.stationinnhexham.co.uk Beware - photo’s of rooms are not up-to-date!
2 night visit. Website looks good with promising rooms but seems photos/descriptions are old. This proved disappointing on arrival.
Plus points - Friendly, helpful staff. Good, generous, made to order breakfasts. Funky decor in bar/lounge/restaurant. Sensible bar prices. Evening meal menu looked good but we didn't get the chance to sample this. Warm inside and pleasing outlook to the rear of the building.
Minus points. - We were moved from room 13, 2nd floor to room 6, 1st floor which was slightly better. Loose electrical fittings and untidy cables/extension leads. Inadequate lighting on stairs and dangerous step down at foot of 1st floor behind the door. No warning sign for this. Illegal in new-builds! Many squeaky doors - some just slamming noisily shut - were very annoying. Adjust the closers and get some WD40. Broken bedside light not replaced despite asking. No replacement tea/milk for 2nd day. No control of room htg. 25 deg when radiator on even with window open. Poor room facilities/shower. Room 13 wardrobe almost unusable due to the bed being up against it. Shame about the lack of safe onsite parking.

At the moment, my photo's won't upload.

With just a little bit of effort, everything could be so much better. Please take note of above comments.

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear will be quieter and better outlook. Stairs are narrow & steep. 1st floor is th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank peterlecky
There are newer reviews for Station Inn

Reviewed September 28, 2013

I booked at Station Inn Hexham simply because I couldn't book online anywhere from Doncaster to Newcastle for the same night after my earlier York booking was cancelled due to circumstances beyond my control.

Nevertheless the new owners who have been there for around 2 months were enthusiastic about the place and the live-in chef who I had an interesting conversation with insisted he could prepare a steak for my evening meal that wasn't tough.

Needless to say, the Northumberland sirloin steak was tender and prepared to perfection and his self made chips were also excellent. This impressed me particularly for the inexpensive £12:95 cost.

Hexham itself is a lovely place to visit and I thoroughly enjoyed the walk up the hill afterwards to shed a few calories after the delicious apple tart for dessert.

The room was average, and nothing stood out with a 'wow' factor. Breakfast was OK, nothing stood out.

I'd definitely like to re-visit Hexham as I didn't have time to see the wall and I'd definitely stay at the Station Inn again.

Room Tip: Apparently a karaoke night is held on Saturdays, however I was booked in room 13 on the second floor...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Themikanic
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed here with my daughter who is autistic. We decided to stay overnight as we love Hexham & we thought we'd make a weekend of it. The staff have become good friends - Amy, Catherine, Chris just to name a few, a very high standard of customer service and they are great with my daughter. We are always made most welcome & we were allocated a very pleasant, clean, spacious room with en-suite which was very clean with ample towels. The food at the Station Inn is exceedingly good & very, very reasonably priced (their Monday to Saturday 3- course special menu is very varied & the price is exceptional). The karaoke on the Saturday night was very entertaining also. I rate The Station Inn highly & my daughter & I look forward to returning there in the very near future
Lynn.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Lynn L
Reviewed August 21, 2013

On arrival, the bathroom in our room hadn't been cleaned (a little surprise awaited us in the toilet!). No problem to change rooms and we were given a free beer for the inconvenience. New room was basic and the beds were ridiculously uncomfortable. You can tell that there has been some redecoration, but it's all very cheaply done. Breakfast was ok, but not good.
The staff however were very nice and helpful which is the only reason I didn't rate it as 'terrible'.
Later found out that this place has a bad reputation in the area, so I guess it lived up to that reputation well.

Room Tip: If you do ever have a need to stay here, then aim for a room at the back and top to get away from th...
4  Thank JuneBaby78
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Where to start?!?! The place looks so grotty and run-down, it is an ex-strip joint and you can tell.

When we got into our room we found that someone had used the toilet for a nr2 and had not flushed...it absolutely stank! The bedroom had been cleaned, but the bathroom was still dirty. When speaking to the guy behind reception his first reaction was: I hate it when this happens...?!?!?!

In all fairness, we did get a different room straight away and he did offer us a drink on the house.

In the new room the wall paper was coming off the walls, the bed had no mattress - I slept on the springs that were covered by a sheet - and there was a wardrobe in the room that could not be used because the bed was blocking the doors...useless! Breakfast was just a very basic greasy fry-up. Just about edible.

This would all be acceptable if the price was low, but we did pay £69 for the room...and that is a lot for a dump like this!

I won't recommend this place to anyone unless you are on a very tight budget, but you're better off sleeping in your car than staying at the Station Inn.

6  Thank Annemieke1977
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here after completing the Kielder Lakeside Way bike ride & for the price of £90 for the family room of 4 was excellent value. The room was clean & tidy, the beds were very comfortable, bathroom was ensuite & had a reasonably powerfull shower. There was a well stocked bar & the staff could not do enough for us, ensuring that our bikes were secured during our stay. Brekfast on the Sunday was very good with quality food & plenty of it. Only 30 miles away from Kielder I would certainly recommend staying here & there are plentl of pubs to wander around.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Just returned from a short stay; food was very good and the staff really friendly and helpful. Our bedroom was comfortable with a four poster bed! The views of the town were great.We will return! We came by train and the inn is opposite the station - but there was no noise from the trains.We were able to explore the "Wall" easily using the bus service outside the tourist information office - only a short walk from the inn- and free for wrinklies like us who have a bus pass!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple