“Lovely hotel, poor nights sleep”
Review of Hopping Hare

and 1 more site!
Hopping Hare
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Northampton
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night before doing a Red Letter Wacky Races day. Chose it as different to all the main stream chain hotels in the area.
We received a warm welcome. Happy with the room. Had dinner in the bar as sadly restaurant full. Really enjoyed the butternut squash and oat fritters and my partner enjoyed his burger. Staff friendly and attentive.
Breakfast was also enjoyable. Both had the full English. Was room for a little more organisation due to not enough tables so people waiting and two staff trying to do ten things at once, but full marks for effort.
My main negative feedback, and quite important, is my poor quality of sleep. We were in room 104 (if I recall correctly) which must be over the front internal door. All I could hear is the constant banging of it which seemed to rattle through the radiator. This went on until midnight and woke me up again around 7.30am. If this door could be prevented from banging (then bouncing a few more times after), it would have been a very enjoyable stay.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VictoriaH105
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear Victoria,

Thank you for your review and I hope you enjoyed the Wacky Races day.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your meals and the team looked after you well.
Excellent food and first class customer service are our highest priorities.

The door you refer to is a fire door and it should not bang. We will get this fixed.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Northampton.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I was booked into this hotel for a business meeting near by. It was my first time in the area and didn't know what to expect. I can't say enough good things about the staff and the hotel; everyone went the extra mile to make sure the room and accommodations were perfect, plus the staff in the restaurant were exceptional. One morning I missed breakfast (by 45 minutes) and I was offered a very nice bacon sandwich and tea, very kind indeed. The room was cozy and clean, just a delight to stay there. Many thanks to the employees at the Hopping Hare, people make the difference.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Humancapo,

Thank you for your kind review.

You are so spot on. The whole ethos at The Hopping Hare is to go that extra mile for our customers. Our staff really do care, try hard and really appreciate it when their efforts result in customers having a great time.

Your feedback will enthuse and encourage then further.

Many thanks, Kind regards, David

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed for an overnight stop to break our journey. Dinner,bed and breakfast.
The room had no view but this was not important to us. The main anxiety is always will the bed be hard? It was not, we both slept well and even though I had a topper in the car outside there was no need for it. Well done!
The carpark was safe, as we had things in the car this was a reason for choosing this hotel.
Dinner was fine, tasty and nicely presented and breakfast good enough..No marmite however.
This is an old building but all signs of this have been banished in favour of a contemporary style featuring large vases.
Very pleasant and responsive staff.
We would not return because of the relentless music which is continuously intruding in the whole downstairs area ,including the dining room. There is no quiet area so we went to bed early.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Persistent,

Thank you for your complimentary review and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your visit.

Clearly we had the background music a little high. There are 4 zones and each area should be set at a level which is audible but not intrusive. When set at the correct level it is ideal and we will certainly pay more attention to this area.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stayed for two nights and wished I could of stayed longer.

First of all service was fantastic, friendly but professional , they actually looked like they wanted to serve you , which is hard to find ! They all just seemed to get along and work as a team , it was great to see.

Food again was great , rooms were comfy and spacious , I had an outward facing room , and although was no sea view it was still very pleasant. Breakfast was okay , you could tell the food was all fresh which was the main thing.

I do think everyone should be very proud of how they portray themselves here

well done we will be back !

Room Tip: Get a outward facing room so you can avoid the interior fans for the kitchen. Make sure you book a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank asifthe5th
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear Asifthe5th,

Thank you for an excellent review.

You hit the nail right on the head. The team really want our customers to have a great experience at The Hopping Hare and they go the extra mile to deliver first class customer service.
I really appreciate it when customers recognise that our staff really care and take pride in their work.

Our food is excellent as well!!

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Visiting Northampton we stayed one night at the Hopping Hare. Staff could not of been more helpful. Excellent value for money. Breakfast was also excellent.
Would recommend this hotel.

Good value for money as the price we paid we did not expect much.
We will be staying here again in the future.

Room Tip: traveling with babies take your own travel cot as they do not supply one.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank iloveittravel
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Iloveit,

Thank you for your kind review and for recommending The Hopping Hare to other travellers.

Our staff are very friendly and helpful and I am particularly pleased that you appreciated the excellent customer service which they always try to deliver.

Kind regards, David

Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Haven't eaten here in quite a while and it gets better each time. Had a wonderful meal with all the trimmings. Such friendly and helpful staff and such good value for money. If your looking for a tasty lunch or a special place to treat someone I'd highly recommend the hopping Hare!!

• Stayed: September 2013
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Nikki,

Thank you so much for your very positive review.

The staff are indeed extremely helpful and friendly and I know they always go out of their way to offer exceptional customer service. I know that their efforts are recognised by our customers but of course only a few post a review. So thank you very much.

Kind regards, David

Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights and for an evening meal. I would recommend that the restaurant is brilliant. The food is of a very high standard and would recommend as fine dining. My husband ordered the 31 aged sirloin steak which he thoroughly enjoyed, and I ordereed trout with green salad leaves toss in lime juice which was fab. Our stay in the hotel was average, as you entered the B&B. Not sure where the receptionist area is situated as there is no sign to indicated this. I found that the staff was not very welcoming or friendly. There was a wedding party that had booked out most of the rooms and we were subjected to the last room which was awful, it was a sweat box for two nights that we had a fan going all night (no aircon) In the bathroom was a shower cubicle only that you could just about fit into and definitely not able to swing a cat in. Breakfast was good but service awful. Waitress decided to bring me porridge and a cooked breakfast at the same time to eat. Very disappointing stay. The only saving grace to this establishment is the brilliant chef a sous chefs in the kitchen.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Winnie D
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Winnie,

I am pleased that you recognised our restaurant as brilliant and that you would recommend the food as fine dining. We don't believe we are fine dining but we do know we are one of the very best restaurants in the County and our food is of exceptional quality and excellent value for money.

The staff are very disappointed with your comments about service and I am surprised as excellent customer service is our highest priority and overwhelming feedback from customers is positive and very good.

On a couple of specifics, the fan you referred to was in fact the air extraction unit in the en suite bathroom which was on as the light in the en suite must have been left on (it goes off automatically 15 minutes after the light is switched off).

Our powerful showers are a standard size for hotels. We have had positive feedback on them, but never have had a complaint.

I understand that porridge and breakfast were ordered at the same time and prepared at the same time as the chef assumed there were 2 people for breakfast. As you know as soon as the mistake was discovered the breakfast was returned and reserved later, with an apology for the misunderstanding from our staff.

Regards, David.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Park Inn by Radisson Northampton
#1 of 1 in Creaton
Sedgebrook Hall
Sedgebrook Hall
#1 of 1 in Chapel Brampton

Been to Hopping Hare? Share your experiences!