“Highly recommended”

Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Northampton
Fenwick, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I am a business traveller mainly and don't like business hotels. However, I still need certain criteria when I am staying. Mainly comfortable and clean room with attention to detail, good sized bathroom, Wi-Fi and (as a lone female traveller) a sense of security and helpful staff.

Although this is essentially a pub with rooms, it is so much more. It's a beautiful building and is furnished inside to the highest standard - treading that difficult line between modern and maintaining it's traditional pub feel. I arrived late so didn't get to sample the dinner menu but I am sure it was lovely, it certainly looked it. Staff were helpful.

The room itself was a good size with lovely big windows. Good choice of TV channels (essential) and the most comfortable bed imaginable. Great sized bathroom and spotlessly clean. Contemporary furnishings and to a high standard.

Breakfast was a relaxed and delicious affair and all for £85 b and b.

I hope I will get the chance to stay again!.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank LaneyAMoss
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Laney,

Thank you so much for your complimentary review and for awarding us top marks. The team are delighted.

We are very much a preferred choice for lady travellers who. like you, very much appreciate the warm, friendly and relaxed atmosphere and our committed staff who care passionately about delivering the very best customer service.

We hope you can stay again soon.

Kind regards, David.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Having read the reviews online we decided to call as we'd not arranged anything for our wedding anniversay. We spoke to David who very kindly managed to get a lovely table for us in the conservatory at short notice. I'm always dubious of local resturants as Northampton has many wannabe fine dining pubs. Well all I can say was I was blown away. Starting with the service. The waitresses were on top form, very polite, very hospitable and very knowledgeable. When I asked about the different deserts each one was described to me as someone who'd tried them and was qualified to recommend. The food was precise, served well, cooked perfectly (my husband had the steak & I had the sole) and tasted delicious. The decor was modern and comfortable. I've already recommended to all my friends and I'm looking to go back as the menu choice left me wanting to try more. Not often I do I praise but The Hopping Hare definately deserves it :-)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear V,

The team are delighted with your feedback and are really pleased that you enjoyed your wedding anniversary celebration at The Hopping Hare. It is so rewarding when customers appreciate that we stand head and shoulders above the competition.

Excellent food and first class customer service are our two highest priorities and it is a real rewarding to the team when customers have a great time and they have helped.

Thank you for telling your friends about us and we hope you can visit again soon.

Kind regards, David.
London
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed here recently on business. Having had bad experiences in the past with hotels in the Northampton area this is a real find. The restaurant is the best in the area, and the staff all went that extra bit for us all. I would certainly recommend the Hopping Hare to anyone working in the Northampton area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear London Traveller,

We're really pleased you travelled to Northampton and stayed at The Hopping Hare. Thank you for your very complimentary review and for awarding us full marks.

Excellent food and first class customer service are our highest priorities.

We hope you are visiting Northampton again soon.

KInd regards

David
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed overnight last weekend as part of as wedding party. The staff accommodated our need to arrive early and get ready for the wedding.
Stayed in room no 1 which was small but immaculate. The food was excellent and the bar was good value. The breakfast was excellent as was the service despite the number that arrived for breakfast at the same time.
Overall excellent value for money and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2013
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Bernie,

Thank you very much for awarding us full marks and for your kind review. The team are delighted.

We look forward to you staying again when next in Northampton.

Kind regards, David
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed at The Hopping Hare for two nights last weekend with my wife. We had previously stayed at The Hare eighteen months ago when we went to Silverstone and we thought having tried it once and enjoyed staying there we would do the same again. We were not disappointed and in all honestly i believe our visit this time was even better than that in 2011.

We ate in the bar area on the first night and in the restaurant on the second night (same menu). The food was fantastic, my beef was so tender and my wifes pork was fabulous. There is a great wine choice (all reasonably priced) and a good selection of real ales. We enjoyed the relaxed atmpsphere on the first night in the bar area but i would recommend booking a meal in the restaurant just so you can enjoy a more secluded area.

Breakfast is very good and do try the omlettes - i would agree with a previous reviewer they are the best i have ever tasted.

We were given room Number 5 and i couldnt believe how spacious it was and how comfortable the bed was. The room was very clean and the maid service after our first night was very prompt and carried out whilst we were at breakfast.

Finally i would like to thank each and every member of staff for the kindness, courtesy, helpfulness and above all their willingness to accomodate every request with a welcoming smile. We asked if they could provide us with some sandwiches to take to Silverstone and these were freshly made whilst we were at breakfast and we far better than we could have anticipated.

Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 5 when you book!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Kev,

Thank you so much for your kind review, it is very much appreciated.

I am particularly pleased that you are very appreciative of the team and their kindness, helpfulness and welcoming smiles. Excellent customer service is right at the top of our priorities.

Also very pleased you appreciate the excellent quality of our food.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Kind regards

David.
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

We've been to the hopping many times and have to say its always been excellent , but our last visit was very disappointing . The restaurant seemed quite full when we arrived which was midweek , we were the last table of the evening (8.45 ) maybe we booked to late ? Our meal was ordered , starters came but no wine , glasses were cleared but still had drink left in them, felt as if staff wanted to go home ! Had to ask for our wine again . Two of us had the crispy hens egg ( which I've had before and was delicious ) but this time not so , egg was solid and served with a few leaves , certainly not like I experienced on a previous visit . The men had steak which they couldn't cut so asked for steak knives and wasn't much better and one was left. Dessert was lovely , had to ask for sorbet instead of ice cream due to a food intolerance , seemed a bit of an issue but we did get what we asked for. So all in all a little disappointing .

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Liza,

Thank you for your review.

Of course I am delighted that on your many previous visits the Hopping Hare has been excellent, but it is disappointing that we were not up to scratch this time.

You certainly were not too late as we take orders until 9.30pm mid week and indeed we are flexible. The kitchen team are always willing to accommodate late arrivals whenever possible and the bar is open until 11pm and later for residents.

I'm certain this is a one-off blip and am confident you will give us a maximum score on your next visit.

kind regards

David.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

This is an "inn with rooms" style of hotel. The rooms are small but are tastefully furnished with shower rooms rather than bathrooms (at least in all the rooms I've ever stayed in, 4 for the record).
The hotel offers free wifi which is a bonus and there is a room service menu which offers some really tasty options. The breakfast is basic (no fresh fruit, no yoghurt, no pastries) but redeems itself in my opinion if you order an omelette. I have rarely had a better one anywhere in the world - not a reason to book a hotel as such but I thought I'd put it out there...!
One other slightly unusual feature - the TV carries the audio description channel option which is great if you are visually impaired but can be a little disconcerting as it sounds like someone else is in the room with you commentating on the TV.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Herbie,

Thank you for your complimentary review, which is much appreciated.

Really pleased you like our omelettes and we will be looking to improve our breakfast offer soon.

Look forward to you visiting us again soon.

Kind regards

David
i
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
The Poplars Hotel
Highgate House Hotel
Highgate House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Creaton
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa

Been to Hopping Hare? Share your experiences!