“Not somewhere I'd would normally go. BUT,,,,”

Frank's Hamburger House
Ranked #177 of 582 Restaurants in Northampton
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2017

This is not the sort of restaurant/ burger bar that I would normally choose, but as a guest at my teenage grandson's birthday do it was a surprising revelation. It is best described as a "Curate's egg" of a place. The décor is to say the least 'rustic' unpolished deal tables and hard chairs or benches in a throw back to Mom and Pop places of the fifties and a large bar. None to clean, but not filthy, just well used and wiped down with efficiency rather than loving care.

However, the food redeemed the unfortunate first impression. After a dreadful experience in a well known chain pub recently it was a joy to be served a blue steak properly seared and rested with its accompaniments also correctly cooked and presented. Serving a huge bowl of chip separately was an odd experience, but I was assured by my family this is normal practice in these sort of places (I can't help being a fossil!).

The young girls serving were to be commended, despite being busy they were extremely polite and helpful and ensured a rather large party like ours was well attended to.

Overall, for the money charged they could consider some refurbishment and maybe additional waiting staff at busy times (although I do understand the issues of wages these days). It has certainly enlightened me that there are still Chefs out there who understand what they are cooking despite the increasing Gadarene rush to the reheating of frozen microwave meats and sauces by a 'kitchen operative' rather than a trained chef!

Reviewed July 10, 2017

We used to love Franks at Billing - for the food, presentation and service - it was a real treat. Sadly something has seriously changed for the worst. Food was average (poor quality buns, overcooked burgers), service verged on rude (menus thrown down on the table for example) and presentation very 'Little Chef' just put on plates, no boards or baskets. The only plus was the dessert which the kids loved - but the choice is now so limited that the adults decided to skip it. Early Saturday evenings it used to be packed, but it was mostly empty and I can understand why. Perhaps they're cost cutting but it means they'll lose customers. We shan't be going back, such a shame.

Reviewed May 27, 2017 via mobile

Went to Franks for the first time with my other half for my birthday. My other half had been before and had recommended it. We went when there was roadworks outside and the road was closed to thro traffic. I think a few people thought it was closed because it was empty, but it was early on in the afternoon. Found the staff friendly and helpful and the restaurant was clean and tidy.

I ordered the burger with brie and onion. The first few bits were very disappointing. The burger itself was very plain without much seasoning or taste. All the brie and other topping were in the middle of the burger so you had to work your way to the middle before it you got any real taste.

I think I would give the place another try in the future, but it's on warning, another bad experience, and I wouldn't be back again, expect better for the prices you're paying

Reviewed May 24, 2017 via mobile

I had the lunch time chicken wrap with Let/mayo it said with salad and fries ? The other half had rump steak, mine was Lovely not sure about the chips were they to share or where they his with his steak if the waitress stayed or asked if everything was ok I'd have asked but there was a large table with about 20 on and two staff so it was busy steak fine chips a bit salty if we go again I'd asked for no salt as they were a bit to much for me if they were mine If they weren't I'd had a couple
Would go again so ok clean and tidy place nice Deco not posh could do with a couple of chairs as benches I must be getting old but had a short skirt on and only little legs climbing over a bench

Reviewed April 15, 2017 via mobile

Went here one saturday afternoon for some lunch and although being quite pricey the food was well worth it! Left feeling stuffed just from the main course.
Will definitely visit again.