“Sunday lunch”

The Wheatsheaf Pub & Dining Room
Ranked #11 of 596 Restaurants in Northampton
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Local. Seasonal. Fresh. The home of local ale and quality food in Dallington, Northamptonshire
Reviewed February 11, 2018

We visited the Wheatsheaf based on the reviews we had read. We booked a table for the four of us (it was very busy, so would definitely recommend doing this for Sunday lunch!). The service was excellent; polite and very speedy without feeling rushed. The food was really tasty; we all had a roast and dessert. We all really enjoyed eating here and will definitely visit again.

Reviewed February 10, 2018

Enjoyed an evening at the Wheatsheaf celebrating a friends birthday. Food was great (perhaps slightly salty, but nevertheless still delicious) and service from the floor staff was great - even at one point we asked the chef who had popped out about our bill and he was very helpful in getting someone to sort this for us.

The attitude from the manager however we were all pretty disgusted with. We had booked for a large group and we were advised this would have to be done over two tables but was assured these would be next to one another - which we had no problem with whatsoever. Upon arrival, we had as expected two tables, they were relatively close but not quite next to one another. Within that space there was three tables, the two for our group and another table set for 2 people. We asked if we could swap two of the tables which would mean we could sit together, not inconveniencing anybody and equally offering the least amount of disturbance for the other table for our chatting between the two groups. The response from the manager was first of all a look of complete contempt, and second a response full of sarcasm at asking if we could move the table of two (big enough for 4) to the 2nd table we had for our group which was suitable for four people.

To say it put a bit of atmosphere in the room at that point was an understatement. The young couple who eventually sat in the table between our group were happy enough but seemed to be of the same feeling as us that it would have made a lot more sense for the tables to have been swapped around which would have negated the need for our tables to be swapping chairs throughout the evening.

The issue wasn't that we weren't able to swap, had we receive a polite enough no or even a laugh and a no that would have been fine - but I have seen better customer service skills from a child in comparison to the manager. Thankfully the bar and waiting staff more than made up for his frankly disgusting attitude and did not dampen our evening!

Politely requesting you ask your management to cheer up a bit - no the customer isn't aways right and we can accept that but they could at least do it in a way you would expect of a manager!

4  Thank winodino2018
stendall131, Owner at The Wheatsheaf Pub & Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2018

Hi Winodino2018,

Thanks very much fro your review, I'm sad to hear you found my attitude not to your liking during my visit.
Just to be clear on a couple of points, when you made your booking you were informed that we do not except tables of any larger than 10 people on Friday nights (and the rest of the weekend) for several reasons:
First is that we only have 40 cover dining room & therefore large tables do make it difficult to be flexible with the table plan & maximise booking capacity. Second is that our kitchen is fairly small & delivering 10 plates of food to our high standards all at the same time is a struggle, any larger & the quality of the food could be compromised. Last is that for the same reasons this can slow the speed of service for other diners.
It's for those reasons that we were unable to accept your booking for 15 people, however when you were insistent on booking we agreed that we could separate you into a table of 10 & a table of 5, with NO guarantee that they would be close to each other & would be treated as two separate table bookings in order to space things out for the kitchen. You accepted these terms & the bookings were made.
On the night you arrived late, with just 12 guests, you did not phone in advance to let us know, you in fact did not even let us know as you all entered the dining room, it only became apparent as empty spaces were revealed. Just to be clear that is £90 - £150 a small, family run business has lost out on, no apology was offered.
Because of your drop in numbers you then wanted to pull together tables & rearrange a fully booked dining room so you could all sit together, this was not possible firstly because of all the reasons outlined above & secondly because you wanted to swap a table booked & suitable for 2 with your table suitable for 6-8. I wonder how the 2 guests booked later in the evening would have felt sat on a large oval table suitable for 6 - 8 people?
You say that the very same couple "seemed to be of the same feeling as you" that a swap would have made more sense? That's very strange - how did you determine this? Because the young lady on that table was my sister & she said that they didn't even speak to anyone from your group?

Your group then spent the rest of the evening shouting over each other making it impossible to take orders, changing your minds as to whether you were paying individually or together, leaving the table for cigarettes when it wasn't clear if you were finished with your food - in fact it was pretty much impossible to keep you all at the table for even a second so we could go about the job of serving you.

I may have been guilty that evening, of allowing my frustrations at the way your group were conducting themselves (without any regard for other diners, without any regard for a small business) of getting the better of me & for that I am sorry, not to you however, but to the rest of my team who as always stayed professional in the face of difficult circumstances, they are a credit to the business.

Politely requesting you do not return for another visit.

Reviewed February 10, 2018

Well where do I start? In the past month I have been to 2 amazing wedding receptions at the Wheatsheaf and I can’t fault it. Sam and Victoria and their staff have really done us proud. It was professional relaxing yet personal to us. The atmosphere was electric and so much fun. Everything was well planned to the finest detail and nothing was to much trouble.
The food was exceptional and well presented. This is one amazing village pub I highly recommend it we will be back! The ratings for food,service and value don’t seem to work so I am giving everything a 5 thank you Sam and Victoria x

Date of visit: January 2018
1  Thank Jackie S
Reviewed February 8, 2018 via mobile

I've eaten here so many times, with friends and family. It is always very good, excellent food, lovely staff. The menu is small, but it's well worth trying something you wouldn't ordinarily have, you'll not be disappointed. Failing that, the burger is always exceptional, especially on a Wednesday when it's 2 for £20 (I think that's the right price).

Reviewed January 31, 2018

We've known The Wheatsheaf for over 30 years during which time it has gone through many incarnations. The dining room has been improved somewhat by the current owners and the food is ok but, my goodness, it is really expensive and no better than your average pub fare. I made the mistake of ordering a "BLT sandwich" which was truly dreadful and cost £8,50 - see what I mean?
Avoid.

Date of visit: January 2018
2  Thank Brian G

Hi Brian G,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review - we take all feedback seriously & are sorry to hear you did not enjoy everything on your last visit.
We do try to price all our dishes to offer value for money as well as give the customer the best quality, locally sourced ingredients. Given that you can pay £3.50 for a sandwich in the supermarket, we believe that our BLT with 3 slices of quality thick cut back bacon, freshly baked sourdough, fresh salad & side of fries, served in a pleasant environment with good service for £8.50 is fair (not to mention VAT, Business rates & staff costs).
However we accept that is also a matter of opinion & had you informed us of your dissatisfaction at the time we would have done everything possible to rectify the problem. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do to improve your experience if the customer does not inform us at the time.

I hope you can give us another try soon.

Regards