“OK”

Cineworld Cinemas Northampton
Ranked #10 of 24 Fun & Games in Northampton
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I use a cineworld 'unlimited card,' not to full advantage, but I do do reasonably well out of it.

They have changed their ice cream counter in Northampton from Ben and Jerry's, which was lovely, to the unmistakably hideous Baskin Robbins ice cream kiosk - very bad. Something that annoyed me far more than I would have ever expected. I sampled all flavours (they were very accomodating in that regard), and all significantly paled in comparison to their once adored Ben and Jerry's selection).

Expect inordinate expenses for popcorn, something similar to the price of it's weight in gold, even with my unlimited card discount, in fact, expect the worst from all all food stuffs. Don't don't don't! Sweet popcorn is NEVER sweet, and salted popcorn, if not right, extremely salty. Poor balance at all times. Smuggle treat items in with you! One thing I must say, is that some of the staff serving at the food kiosks are extremely polite and friendly, exemplars in that regard. in fact the same goes for most staff working in this cinema.

The cinema's perfectly comfortable for me, without the reclining seats of newer cinemas, which I don't find problematic, as those with recliners have never seen a drop of WD40, and consequently squeak beyond reason, which fortunately isn't a problem here, and I don't care about the supposedly lesser comfort arrangement.

There is an issue with lighting, that being small ceiling lights, to light the paths down the stairs and through the doors which, during the playing of films, present a considerable disturbance. Particularly disruptive in 3D movies! Lighting up the floor itself with little LEDs would have been much better.

Everything else is down to the film itself, or the amount of care free noise makers sharing the auditorium. I always react to noisy people in the cinema, normally with a degree of effective diplomacy, however I have been pushed on occasion to sudden fits of rage towards nearby, disrespectful non viewers, deciding to ruin the experience I have worked hard to pay for, through wishing to socialise and chat loudly in the presence of a movie, as opposed to actually watching the movie.

CINEWORLD staff have assured me that they have a 'zero tolerance policy' towards managing such complaints, however I haven't had to go out to get assistance, all occasions of self management being entirely successful so far. I do mostly try to go at quieter times.

In most cases though, if I have been able to enjoy the film, the cinema itself is rarely something I think about, particularly afterwards.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We had a very bad experience at this cinema, the Managment are there for a free ride and hide in the office, Dirty, Smelly and Gruby and thats just the Manager, screens are left dirty and not cleaned correctly, usually most payment machines are not working, we paid for a 3D film and the monitor broke down, we were left waiting for over half an hour and told the 3D fil would come on, to then find that they had put the 2D film on, we complained to the managment who stood there sniggering and stated that I must have been having a bad day, looks as if this sixfields site is going down hill, no wonder the CEO is jumping ship and moving on, AVOID AVOID AVOID (and Manager Please have a wash and buy an iron)

2  Thank Copperpot_uk
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I've got a cineworld unlimited card and use it to full advantage

I've been over 52 times this year, including several times with nieces and nephews

The Northampton cineworld is more then adequate for my needs.

1  Thank MatthewJamesWagner
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Seating at the front, particularly at the end of a row is pretty useless. The screen is so distorted it's virtually impossible to watch without developing a headache.
I went to see Richard II streamed from Stratford. I booked over the phone and was told, by the automated system, that they had allotted me the best available (they didn't inform me where). When we got there I discovered they were in the second row, right on the end. I tried to change the seats, but was told there were no others available.
It was impossible to see, I'd have walked out during the first 10 minutes, but the manager came in to tell us it was being screened in next door with lots of empty seats. It was virtually empty. The lady next to me said she'd booked a couple of days before. So why didn't they change my seat when I asked?

1  Thank Helenat7
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I used to go to this cinema regularly years ago, it does the job but there are few things that annoy me, the seats are not the most comfortable as the arm rests are not adjustable like the ones in Vue in town centre. Also during the movie there are a couple of spotlights in the ceiling that stay on during the movie which can ruin the atmosphere. Allocated seating can also be an issue.