“wonderful service, great food, excellent value”
Review of Thali - CLOSED

Thali
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I visited Thali for the first time tonight and it inspired me to write my first ever tripadvisor review.
Situated in the same building as Fusion restaurant, the main concept of this restaurant was described by the waiter as a "variety meal". My husband and I both ordered the non vegetarian thali and were not disappointed. First came three poppadums accompanied with a hot green chilli pickle, tangy mixed pickle and a mango chutney with a yogurt mint sauce. This was accompanied by a very fresh tasting onion salad, presented beautifully and served with helpful explanations from our waiter on spiciness. Main course thali comes in multiple small bowls on a big tray. The waiter explained what each dish was and mentioned that the dishes given vary periodically so you may get to try different dishes if you visit again. We were served a fresh little salad bowl,tasty shami kebab and chicken pakoras. The pakoras were crispy and in very light batter, almost like tempura batter and were exceptionally tasty. There was a mound of fluffy rice on our tray and a dish of warm naan bread to go with the two main course bowls of lamb rogan josh and chicken balti. Both were filled with tender spiced meat and luscious veg in sauces that were the perfect level of spiciness for me, although the waiter explained that each dish could be made milder or spicier on request. A side dish of Tarka Dahl, a very savoury, almost smokey delicately spiced lentil dish completed the platter. We were told we could have refills of any dishes we requested, but we had plenty of food and couldn't have managed any more even though it was delicious. The meal was completed by a small plate of fresh fruit,a small scoop of vanilla ice cream, a lovely warm mini dough ball soaked in syrup, and a tiny cardamom scented creamy rice pudding-like dessert made with some sort of noodle. (sounds unusual, but was really good) The waiter explained what they were called but I'm afraid I was so relaxed and comfy with rather a full tummy by this time that I forgot!)
The whole meal cost £12.95 per person and was excellent. There is easy parking right next door that cost us a pound in the evening. The surroundings were clean, pleasant, with attractive table settings, service was wonderful with great food and excellent value. I really couldn't fault anything about our evening, we will be back soon!

2  Thank MrsFitzboodlespoodle

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Visited Thali on a Wednesday evening after reading other reviews on this site. We turned up without making a reservation and they were quiet and very happy to accommodate us. Both ordered the Thali and my husband also plumped for an additional curry side dish because he was hungry. This wasn't necessary as the food served was plentiful! Delicious curries and followed by a selection of desserts! Could not believe the value for money. We were also offered more of everything also rice and naan and even seconds of desserts inclusive which we had to decline! Service excellent and very friendly. We will be back. Oh curries were on the hot side I would have enjoyed it even more if they had been a touch milder! They offered once we were eating to change this but I carried on so my tip would be to ask for slightly milder if that's your presence when you order, they assured us they would be happy to accommodate this! A hidden gem.

2  Thank Sapphire89
Reviewed March 16, 2013

which is not what I decided to eat. I chose a garlic prawn chilli dish which was surprisingly packed with a tomato sauce but which was pleasant and hot enought.

The restaurant's decor was traditional for a provincial 'indian' restaurant in England. The service was friendly, excellent in every respect.

I ate in this restaurat at about 6:00pm on the 15th March 2013.

1  Thank rhh1
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

We cannot rate the food, service and price highly enough.

You're charged a fixed meal price and can choose from either meat or veg thali. For starters you get poppadoms, onion salad,chutneys and raita. Our thali consisted of chicken pakoras, tandoori lamb chops, salad, dhal, yogurt chicken jalfrezi, lamb curry, pilau rice and nan bread. Pudding was chocolate brownie, ice cream & a sweetened Indian yogurt.

It was all absolutely delicious. You could taste the freshness of the ingredients and it offers you the chance to try dishes you may not normally order. As per previous posts the food is spicy so if you'd normally eat only mild curries the food will probably be you hot for you, but as the staff seemed so accommodating they'd probably find you an alternative.

The staff were attentive without being intrusive and advised us that all dishes could be refilled free of charge. My husband didnt like the yogurt jalfrezi so they replaced this with an ordinary jalfrezi at no further charge too. There was a large group eating on the night we went and the staff made sure we got just as much attention and it didn't delay any of our service.

Don't be fooled by the size of the dishes, we thought we'd be hungry but there was more than enough food we actually couldn't finish it all.

It's a shame we were only passing through Northampton, else this would have become a regular haunt for us.

2  Thank Josham121
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We had a great meal at Thali - the food was authentic and really tasty. Service was attentive. Thoroughly recommend it and we will definately return.

3  Thank GMAV