“Fantastic suprise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic suprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband chose to go here for his birthday meal, and I wasn't that keen as I like the same few favourite dishes every time I go for an Indian I am totally converted to this experience. On the day we went, a snowy Saturday night, we were one of only two couples there (it was 9pm though), but it still felt nice. The vegetarian Thali included deep fried paneer, crispy mash potato dumplings, a melt-in-your-mouth aubergine and potato curry, and a chick pea massalla - the latter two are dishes I would never normally choose but I adored them both. With the poppadom, chutneys, naan, rice and dessert trio (another delicious surprise) it's amazing value for such good food. And to top if off, they have Adnams cider on draught for only £3.30 a pint! My only criticism is that the onion in the onion salad was much too chunky. I'm going to book again for Valentines Day though!

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Karen P

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

Thali offers terrific food - different from anything which you will find in Northampton - and a first class, personal service. I rate this place very highly. Keep up the good work!

1 Thank RobA1967
Daventry, United Kingdom
“Lovely, but too spicy!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

We visited Thali on a Saturday evening using a groupon voucher. The restaurant itself is really nice and well decorated. The staff were lovely but spoke a bit too fast sometimes and we didn't quite catch what they were saying when they explained what dishes were being served that evening. Apart from that the staff were really nice and even brought our one year old a chocolate when he was crying during the meal! That was very sweet. The poppadoms were absolutely lovely and came with a great selection of chutneys and dips. The thali itself was nice and I loved the idea of it, but almost all of the dishes were really spicy! It was such a shame because they tasted lovely but we couldn't each much of it because it was making our noses run and eyes water!! The desert was nice, but the whole thing was just ruined by the spicyness of the thali. They should offer a milder platter for those who don't like things to be too spicy. If they did that, we would definitely go back, but we wouldn't be able to eat there again otherwise, which is a shame because it was a lovely place. My only other complaint is that the disabled toilet where the baby changing facility was, was absolutely freezing and my poor baby was shivering while I was changing him.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mel W
Kettering
“A yummy selection!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Me and my friend visited the resteraunt with a groupon voucher making our meal half price. We went on a Tuesday night and there was only 2 other tables in use. The atmosphere was not that lively but me and my friend had a good time anyway. The service was slow to start but then made us feel welcome and explained all the foods to us! The thali was lush and I tried dishes I would have never usually tried, there was more than enough to eat and left feeling stuffed! I would definitely recommend :-)
Please beware the car park next door, it isn't made clear but it's 24 hour charging and we got a parking ticket!!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank shopaholic_lucy
“Well definitely be going again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I purchased a Groupon voucher and I have to say I was expecting a great deal from the meal but I was very pleasantly surprised. The food was delicious and the staff were fantastic and overall good value for money. We will definitely be making a return visit and make more of the drinks menu next time too!

1 Thank BeckyW30