Tripadvisor

Bookatable
Ranked #431 of 675 Restaurants in Northampton
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Home of the roast - and much more... When it comes to roast dinners, we really know our stuff. Every day our chefs lay on a feast of tender, hand-carved meats with all the trimmings - including towering Yorkshire puds, golden roasties with all those lovely little crunchy bits, and plenty of freshly prepared veg, all crowned with proper gravy. So it's no wonder we're Northampton's favourite carvery restaurant. Breakfast is Mon-Sat 8am-11am, Sun 8am-10.30pm Carvery is 11.30am-10.00pm all day every day
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Unfortunately this particular Toby,has acquired an awful reputation over the past 2years. Most of the kitchen staff,’not all’, are : rude,surly and brusque. They seem to have an attitude that things are done their way not the Toby way. Recently a new manager has been appointed and he is making a valiant effort to turn things around and regain the good reputation this restaurant had 3 years ago. It seems he has pretty hard task on his hands! However after our latest visit, my brother and I both agreed that there had been a slight improvement. If you go onto Trip adviser and read reviews of other nearby Toby’s you will find they have the same problems with their kitchen staff. So come on Mitchell and Butler sort it out. It’s not always about the bottom line. You get what you pay for.

Date of visit: January 2020
GeneralManagerAA, Owner at Toby Carvery East Hunsbury, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Saysdave, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience. We are disappointed to hear that you are not satisfied with your visit.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review, the teamwork very hard and we are working incredibly hard together to turn the business around. The general manager is female and is concentrating very hard on guest perception and standards throughout the whole business.

We are very pleased to see that you noticed an improvement, we are working hard at building a stable and standard driven management team ensuring that things progress the way we want them to moving forwards

Kind regards

Write a reviewReviews (614)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We went for lunch today and it didn't go well from the beginning. We entered and went to the greeting station - there was a guy behind it and he didn't say hello or even acknowledge us and just carried on faffing with some glasses. After about 10 minutes, the manager decided to come over and ask us if we wanted a table. We were shown to an ok table but the temperature in the restaurant was cold.
We were asked if we wanted drinks pretty quickly, but I would point out that a glass of coke costs £3.30, admittedly refillable, but still incredibly expensive.
We had to ask again about ordering food because it wasn't explained. When we did get the carvery, the Chef was very friendly and he advised that I could order a child's plate because I didn't want to eat that much. Unfortunately though, as my partner said, the food was tasteless and cold. I have to agree with him. We then had to catch the waitresses attention to order desserts which took about 15 minutes.
Then, all the way through dessert, the waitress and manager started an argument with the table next to us. They had a voucher which had been incorrectly applied to the bill and the diners were owed £1.72 and instead of just letting them have it, a massive scene ensued and the lady diner apologised to us saying how embarrassed she was.
When we eventually got our bill (another 10 minutes trying to catch the attention of the waitress), it was wrong too.
I explained that I had had a child's meal. She told me that I hadn't and accused me of having two plates. I told her to go and check with the chef who had authorised it, and she eventually came back and agreed that he had. I asked for a refund on the bill, and she said yes, but then disappeared never to be seen again. So we had to approach the manager (who was pleasant enough), to get the money refunded.
All in all, a very below-average experience. The place needs some serious staff training and the food bringing up to standard.

Date of visit: January 2020
1  Thank 400AnneD400
Reviewed January 12, 2020

Worst service we ever had. We were seated with no menu and left to our own devices, by who we believe to be the manager . Finally someone from the kitchen saw us and handed us menus, attempting to get the attention of staff. Finally, we ordered and were given no instruction what to do for the carvery. We got to the carvery and we asked for pigs in blankets which we had ordered. He didn’t speak enough English for him to understand what we meant. We moved along the food and eventually got to sit down and enjoy it. We asked for the pigs in blankets to be removed from the hill, to which point she finally told us it came from the kitchen. When they were brought out, 15 mins later, they were overcooked. We ate our meal which was nice but over shadowed by the service, and it took 20 mins to pay because of the issues with my gift card and staff being so stretched it was impossible to tie her down to pay on quick consession.
The restaurant got in contact with me and ignored my whole complaint. Genuinely appalled by the service here.

2  Thank jessicabatty
Reviewed January 8, 2020

Popped in for a pre Christmas Carvery lunch on the 23rd Of December and had a delicious meal, I found everything I ate to be totally excellent , both the roast beef and pork I had were tender and tasted lovely, potatoes both mashed and roasted were excellent as were the vegetables I chose from the varied selection available, loved the giant Yorkshire puddings. Even managed a desert. Hope to visit again soon. Thank you...

Date of visit: December 2019
GeneralManagerAA, Manager at Toby Carvery East Hunsbury, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2020

Dear E759ckjohns,
We are so happy to read such a great review about Toby Carvery East Hunsbury! We appreciate your positive review about your recent experience with us! We can't wait to see you again, have a great day.

Reviewed January 4, 2020

This place is a joke... after being seated 20 minutes late.. waitress came to ask us what we were eating? Explained we had pre-booked .. (ok I’ll go and check) comes back to tell us menus that had been pre booked had been lost! We could see other people were obviously getting told same thing! We decided to save time and the hassle to go straight for the Carvery... well what a big mistake, overcooked meats, cold veg, when asked for pig in blankets got a very rude lady sniggering at me like I’d asked for a pot of gold went onto the gravy, all 3 pots empty.. waited 10 mins to be refilled, dinner stone cold! Decided not to eat , finished our drinks and told the manager after waiting nearly 1/2hr for him we were not paying for this service and went! This is my 3 rd visit of this place, will never return! Supposed to be the home of the traditional roast dinner, would suggest you take on a few people who understand how to cook it.. ie not so many Eastern European’s!

Date of visit: December 2019
GeneralManagerAA, Manager at Toby Carvery East Hunsbury, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2020

I2330dysylviag, it's upsetting to hear that you did not receive the top-notch service we strive to provide.

We have a manager meeting on Friday where we will be looking into every key day over the festive period and will be focusing on what went wrong on the day in question.

All pre-orders had been put together in time order and a tally chart had been made for the kitchen so they were fully aware of the items everyone that had preordered and were prepped and ready. Clearly, on the day there was a lack of organization with the running and for this, I send my personal apologies. This is in no way acceptable and I make no excuse.

Thank you for your feedback it will be used as a tool for improvement ensuring that this never happens again

Kind regards