“Clearly a well-run hotel”

Northampton Marriott Hotel
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Northampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Clearly a well-run hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2006

I haven't stayed in a "chain" hotel in ages, so was fearing the worst from the Northampton Marriott. However, I am glad to say it surpassed all of my expectations. The people who work here clearly care about providing a good service and generally doing a good job. The hotel, whilst not the height of cutting-edge fashion, is really comfortable and most important of all clean - something which should be a given but is often not. My bedroom was not huge but had lots of amenities, such as broadband, iron, fridge, good toiletries, nice quilt on the bed and comfy mattress. Most suprising was the scrupulous cleanliness of all areas and very careful housekeeping. My room was spotless and everything worked! The food was presented with care, room service came on time, even the notorious breakfast buffet was fresh and appealing. The only (very minor) criticisms I can make are that the burger I had for dinner was slightly overcooked and the dubious £2.50 "tray charge" added to already-ambitious room service charges. But these are minor flaws that shouldn't put you off a stay in a fantastically-run, comfortable hotel.

• Liked — The room, the leisure facilities
  • Disliked — Slightly bland decor (minor criticism)
  • Tips/Secrets — Book on "hotels.com"
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank AndrewBr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2006

Great place to stay with friendly and good staff. Having stayed at the Northampton Marriott on serveral occassions in the past, mainly weekends , is always a treat. We stay every other month when going to the theatre or shopping. . From the moment we check in it is always great. The rooms are lovely and airy , looking out onto a lawn with little rabbits hopping about . The Leisure Club is great you can even have a cup of tea poolside. Last time we stayed we had dinner in the Restaurant, which was very good.. Nice friendly service , a lovely choice on the menu at a reasonable price. Breakfast is till 11 so you don't have to get up that early. Good choice on the buffet , reading the paper - Sunday bliss. We like it and will come back

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank enjoy2005
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2005

My partner and I went to Silverstone racing circuit for his ferrari thrill driving experience so we decided to make a weekend out of it. We looked at both the Marriott and Daventry hotel and we couldn’t decide on which hotel to stay at so we decided to stay at both hotels each night. for both hotels we took the best room available and decided to stay our last night at the Marriott as it sounded better because it stated that it had a king bed with double sunken jaccusi while the Daventry had a queen with jaccusi but not double sunken, so you see why we decided to go for both. Our stay at the Daventry was great except their jacussi was small, but everything else was fine. Well, needless to say.. When we arrived at the Marriott, it was 3.30pm and we were told to wait because our room was being cleaned. When we finally got to go in, the room was stinking of smoke, and the bed was not king-sized!! We called reception, while waiting we saw a cleaner I asked her if she would be able to get the smell out and she didn't understand me as she didn’t spoke a word of English. The head of house keeping came she brought a spray and used it. There was no robes and slippers she apologised and got some, there was not enough spray so she came back with a new one again!! After a few minutes the scent was back, we were upset but decided to let it go.. I took up the duvet to smell it as to see if that was the reason for the smell of tobacco when we noticed a big stain on the sheets!!! The entire bed was not changed.. We again called room service they changed the sheets and i had to ask the lady to changed the duvet cover as well because they were leaving it.. We went down to the reception to speak with the manager. She just told us that the bed was king and there was nothing she could have done because all the other executives’ rooms were full. So we got no-where with her! Then comes the eating, the service was poor, my partner asked for a glass of juice and the waitress never returned. the manager whom we complained to about the size of the bed, we saw her doing an all-rounder, she was serving and cleaning the tables and going to and from the kitchen all at the same time ( i guess it was lack of her incompetent staff.. these hotels should stop hiring non-speaking English foreigners to do jobs because they are underpaid and over-worked!! for god's sake we are paying for quality and not quantity. we paid almost £200 for nothing!! the only good part was the jacussi everything else was a disaster. Never will I stay there again!!

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2005

i stayed at the northampton marriott hotel for a wekend break with my partner for a weekend when we entered the hotel and went to the room the corridors were exceptionally hot.
when we was in room the room was also very hot and the air conditioning did not work and with only one small window there was no ventilation at all.
room service was also exceptionally bad as ordered a meal for the both off us first time they only brought one meal second time they did not take off the items we required.
as for breakfast that was some what of an insult to guests bland and disgusting!!
all meals over priced majority off staff ok and helpfull but spoke poor english!!!
all i can say is that after that break i will never go to a marriot hotel again

• Stayed October 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
North Shields, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2005

Ww booked a one night dinner, bed and breakfast deal in an executive room. The room had a king size bed, separate lounge area, robe, slippers and good quality toiletries.
I expected to be given an allowance for the meal in the restaurant but was plesantly surprised to be told that we could choose anything from each of the three course son the menu. Breakfast was equally good with plenty of choice and all freshly prepared.
Throughout our brief stay the staff were exceptionally friendly and attentive. My only complaint is that the room was too hot and we could not lower the temperature on the air con. However, will definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2005
8 Thank Cat4158
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2005

As a business traveller, I regularly stay at hotels throughout the UK. I have to say that, for a relatively low price of £150 for three nights (B&B) this was terrifc value. Good room and pool, and the breakfast was well above average. Overall, the stay was by far the best I have had in Northampton... much better than the nearby Hilton.

• Stayed March 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Woking, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2005

We stayed here in the June 2004 for a Norah Jones concert at the Althorpe Estate.

We asked for a non smoking room but on the way to the room down a very warm corridor all you could smell was smoke!

The room was indeed in need of a good spring clean as there was white dog hair all over the bedroom carpet that stuck to my freshly painted toe nails. The bathroom had dust and hair on the floor.

This trip and hotel stay was for my birthday and I felt let down staying in my first and last marriott as I book these on a daily basis in my job!

The pool was good and the staff in that area were very nice. Prices at the bar expensive and food very similar to any chain restaurant. Wanted the Hilton but full due to the concerts taking place....

Norah Jones was well worth it....

• Stayed June 2004