“Average Hotel, but restaurant is TERRIBLE.”

Northampton Marriott Hotel
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Northampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 29, 2010

I would not normally review a restaurant in my hotel review, but I have been to this hotel twice now, and both times the restaurant has been appalling! Why would I visit a second time, I hear you ask? Well, I was a captive audience, let us say. The hotel itself isn't too near to another eating option and so 'Centrale' it was!
Firstly, let me say that the hotel itself is perfectly adequate. It's just a glorified Travel Lodge, plain and simple (but quite well-equipped) rooms, nothing that makes it stand out from any of the other corporate 'high-end' chains.
The room was very reasonably priced at £65 (an offer) for a single. I had a HUGE bed, much bigger than the last time, but it was a disabled room so I'm not sure whether this made a difference?
Large TV, usual tea and coffee facilities, adequate bathroom which smelt slightly unpleasant and vinegary, but nothing too serious.
On to 'Centrale' the upmarket, very expensive 'French Bistro' within the hotel.
Dear Lord above.
Starter: £11, grilled king prawns. Slightly overcooked and rubbery, but edible.
Main: burger, £11-ish. Overcooked to the point that it was totally inedible. Sent back to the kitchen, another arrived straight away ("the chef has loads ready" the waitress said! Surely the problem?!) Again, inedible, but it was difficult to press the point with a waitress who had absolutely no interest whatsoever.
Dessert: £5.95 (I think) Tarte Tatin. Pastry was raw, sent it back. Came back nuked in microwave, pastry still raw. Brown stewed soggy apples on top, and - get this - treacle from a bottle sqeezed over in place of the procedure known as "cooking", when you caramelise the apples.
After this, the will to live had completely departed and so I left the dessert for the waitress to find and returned to my room without asking for the bill.
It was charged to my room, but at no point did anyone ask whether there was a problem - they knew that there was as I had returned two dishes to the kitchen!
It's a pretty scandalous restaurant and it really lets the hotel down. It's a plain, corporate hotel, but if it had a nice restaurant then it would make the experience of staying there quite nice. As it stands, I would avoid.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed January 11, 2010

Could not fault it. Me and my partner stayed for our honeymoon night and was bowled over from the very beggining. Amazing staff amazing food and amazing facilities! It may be of a higher price to other local hotels but it's clear to see what you are getting for your money

Reviewed December 13, 2009

Stayed for one night in a double room al expenses paid due to company xmas party. Had a double room which was excellent. Bed and pillows were very comfortable and smelt lovely and clean. The bathroom was also clean and hygienic. Large flat screen Tv with freeview channels. We were very impressed with the high standards. The xmas meal was a bit sparce, and a few more potatoes and veg would have been appreciated! The only negative was the reception staff. No warm greeting or even a smile. Had to even ask how to get to our room!. We did have a good nights sleep, and the breakfast is first class, with plenty of hot bacon, eggs etc and fresh fruit and pastries. We would recommend this hotel. We didnt use the pool or gym so cannot comment. Drinks are a bit pricey.....£9.00 for a brandy with no mixer and a pint of lager.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2009

we could not fault our stay , reception friendly and efficient , our room was spotless.
we usually stay in a innkeepers lodge at collingtree northampton but the rooms were getting very tired and grubby we had to take cleaning stuff with us and clean the room on arrival, so we changed and paid a bit more and went to the marriott, the difference is worth every penny. staff were very polite we had breakfast with room service, arrived
with perfect poached eggs and very hot a perfect start to the day, we ordered the breakfast at 9 arrived dead on 9. we could not fault our stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for one night in June as i had my graduation ball here. The hotel itself is great, along with the hotel pool. The room was a good size and had a sofa in it, nice and modern. The only problem was that the room was really warm, and all you get is a fan, but when the room is warm all a fan does is blow hot air around. All in all, i paid £50 online for the room, with no breakfast , so a great rate. Breakfast is an additional £15 each, so didnt bother.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2009

Perfectly ok I suppose, but not what I had hoped for. The room I had was a good size and comfortable, but was too warm on what was a balmy spring night. The aircon wasn't very good, and quite noisy. The alternative was to open the window which wasn't an options as the dual carriageway outside was busy all night. Room service was slow and inaccurate - I ordered two bananas for my dessert and instead received a 'banana split' with ice cream etc. Satff were friendly enough, but overall I left the hotel tired and ill-prepared for my morning meeting nearby.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 18, 2009

We have stayed at this hotel twice now. Ironically we got the second stay free because we complained about the service we received the first time.
On our first stay,last year, there were a number of problems - we were sent to a room that had not been made up, the second room smelt very heavily of smoke and the lights didnt work, they forgot to send up room service or deliver a newspaper and there was never anyone on the front desk to help.
We wrote to the hotel and they offered us a complimentary room so that they could apologise. Except nothing had changed. The decor in the hotel ( excluding the main lobby ) is very tired. There is also a very strange chemical smell in the hallways and the carpets and wood panelling need seriously updating.
Service again, was not brilliant. The check in girl barely looked at us when we were booking in and when we went to our room (at 6.30pm) there were still loads of breakfast trays outside rooms that had been there all day
The actual room itself and the bed were fine, but your overall impression of the hotel is poor and if I worked for Marriott I would be ashamed.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank eabtwj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Park Inn by Radisson Northampton
Holiday Inn Northampton
Holiday Inn Northampton
#11 of 27 in Northampton
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa

Been to Northampton Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!