“Friendly Staff-wouldn't go back”

Ibis Hotel Northampton Centre
Ranked #17 of 27 Hotels in Northampton
Reviewed January 29, 2013

myself and a group of friends stayed at the Ibis Northampton for two nights in October. The staff where very friendly and the hotel was very clean and in a great location.
Unfortunately that's where the plaudits stop. it became apparent very quickly that the hotel was used as emergency accommodation for homeless people a couple of friends where asked for spare change and cigarettes in the lift and felt very intimidated, at breakfast there where families with small children and young adults in pyjamas coming in and getting there take away breakfast in paper bags and taking them back to there rooms.
We asked the staff if the hotel was used as a hostel, they politely informed us that the council used the hotel as emergency shelter.
I emailed Customer services upon return and I received a no reply email approx six weeks later promising to investigate, it is now the end of January 2013 we still haven't received an explanation to date.
This is not what you expect from an international hotel chain.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CavoWirral
Piotr L, General Manager at Ibis Hotel Northampton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Cavo Wirral,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay at Ibis Northampton City Centre.
I sorry to hear that you encounter difficulties during you stay. I would like to clarify that Ibis Northampton is not used as a shelter for homeless peoples. We are welcoming all paying Guest who have or wish to book a room. Please contact me on h3657-gm@accor.com if you need more clarification. Best regards, Piotr (General Manager)

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Not convinced as very cold, loud, funny smell in the corridor very limited breakfast.
The location is perfect as in the middle of of the town centre.
As the room was to the side of the main road a lot of noise. When the people above us got up you thought they walk through your room.
Upside friendly staff

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Piotr L, General Manager at Ibis Hotel Northampton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

First of all I would like to thank you for the valuable feedback. I would also like to apologize that your stay was not up to the standard expected. I will definitely pass the comments of the room temperature and smell to the team in order to avoid those problems in the future. On a positive note, I am pleased to hear that you were happy with our friendly staff. I look forward to welcoming you back. Kind Regards, Piotr Latka - General Manager.

Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel on a number of ocassions and have found the staff to be warm and approachable but each time I have had to move from room to room because my 9.99gbp internet offer didn't work! Saying this the staff took it off my bill! The good points are that its a great location and again the staff do seem to care but on my last visit I put the do not disturb sign on the door and the cleaner just kept trying to get in! In the end I gave up packed up and left before the midday checkout! That said I will use this brand again as I have had some very positive experiences throughout Europe minus Manchester don't get me started but they were refurbing and I was a jet lagged Aussie lol

• Stayed: January 2013

I would like to thank you for taking time to write about your experience and I would like to apologize for the problems experienced with internet as well with housekeeping. I will give a feedback of your experince to the team, so we could avoid this type of problems in the future. I hope that this experience will not stop you from using the hotel in the future. Kind Regards, Piotr Latka - General Manager.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 14, 2013

This hotel was basic and cold. Turned out you have to pay for parking which was annoying as would rather have paid slightly more for a better hotel that was nearer to my workplace for the week. £10 for a lasagne ready meal from the restaurant ... No thanks! TV was pretty poor too, only five channels! One positive, the bed was the best hotel bed I've ever slept in.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
IbisNorthamptonGM, General Manager at Ibis Hotel Northampton Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

I would like to thank you for the time taken to write the feedback and I would like to apologize for the problems that you experienced while staying with us. I hope that this will not stp you from using us in the future as I can assure you it is not a true reflection of the service provided in Ibis. On a positive note I am glad to hear that you liked our new bed. Piotr Latka - General Manager.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

If you come by train, the station is 2 minutes' easy walk away. If you need to catch a bus in the city the hotel is one minute away from one of the main bus route roads. But if you come to the city by coach, it's not exactly far from the bus station but working out where you are when you arrive by coach is confusing for the first time visitor. The street the hotel is on is somewhat unprepossessing as you walk towards the centre, but in three or four minutes you arrive in the busier and more agreeable part of the city centre. The hotel itself has comfortable rooms, quieter than you would expect from the central location. One design flaw, however, is that the door to the parking garage opens directly onto the bar and breakfast room, letting in a glacial gust of cold air each time.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

I would like to thank you for the feedback and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass your comments to the team and I will be looking forward to welcoming you back in the future. Piotr Latka - General Manager.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed at this hotel many times as I regularly visit Northampton. The main reason we used to book this hotel was that the Gala Casino was located in the same building. Also book this hotel as it is reasonably priced. The Travelodge on Gold Street though is now proving tough competition and is slightly cheaper.

I booked my room over 3 months ago and purchased the Broadband package which offers breakfast, unlimited internet as well as TV. When I got to my room there was no modem, no connection for the iPod/iPad and the TV was not set up for internet/movie package I wanted. I called reception who came up to check as she was sceptical of what I was saying over the phone and then it turns out they have no spare modems/cables available. I was told I would be refunded for this though.

Never fail to have a problem every visit. On two occasions the key cards have stopped working and I have had to have them replaced which often means waiting for guests checking in as they only seem to have one person at any time operating at reception.

As a member of Le Club Accorhotels I get points for these visits but I wouldn't go out of my way to keep coming back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

I would like to thank you for taking time to share your experience with me and I would like to apologize for the issues that you had during your stay. I can assure you that it is not a true refelction of the service that we provide in the hotel. I hope this will not stop you from using us in the future. Piotr Latka - General Manager.