“Superb service” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Olde Red Lion
Ranked #130 of 516 Restaurants in Northampton
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Superb service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

Warm welcome given, service was superb
Food was great, no complaints
Superb atmospher, Christine & Paul really know how to make you welcome
Will defenatelly return when in the area

1 Thank Sturatcliff
Chrissienorthants, General Manager at The Olde Red Lion, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Thank you to the reviewer for taking the time to post a review. We can only assume from their review, that they were just visitors to the area and we look forward to providing hospitality to them next time they are in the area.

“A Great Sunday Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I had Sunday lunch here last week in a party of 4. The pub was warm with a open fire roaring away, the staff were friendly and helpful. After a drink in the bar we went into the restaurant. It was nicely decorated and felt cozy. We all ordered the roast beef it was excellent and the portion was huge the vegetables were very nicely cooked, puddings also good and the sunday lunch menu is £10 for two courses we all thought it offered great value. well worth a visit.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Claire M
Chrissienorthants, General Manager at The Olde Red Lion, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thank you for your review, we are delighted you enjoyed your lunch, Gemma my waitress and I were run off our feet last Sunday with 53 diners and just the two of us, so we are delighted you found us to be friendly and helpful, despite our being thin on the ground in terms of staff. To be able to offer such a great deal for Sunday lunch, we have to keep staff levels to a minimum and work extra hard ourselves to make sure you enjoy yourselves, so we are delighted to have succeeded.
“Good sunday dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

We ate here recently through a groupon deal, we had a sunday dinner as this was the only time slots left (we did leave it till the last week so it was our fault!) we arrived at half 12 and both decided on mains and deserts, i had the roast beef which was lovely and the portion was massive, my partner had the turkey which again was a very good standard. The deserts were both lovely especially the homemade rhubard and custard ice cream, would go back again just for this!! The only negative i would give its that £1.80 for a half of coke is a bit expensive but if thats my only problem then i can live with that. Next time i fancy a sunday dinner this place will be high up on my list. I also noticed they offered a 2 course sunday dinner for £10 that is great value.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank trevish
Chrissienorthants, General Manager at The Olde Red Lion, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
We thank the reviewer for their reveiw and for accepting that although they enjoyed their Sunday Lunch they were possibly penalised by nature of only a Sunday reservation being available, due to their leaving it late to redeem their Groupon Voucher, not by any fault of the ORL. Unfortunately the prices of our drinks are set by the price we have to buy them in at, as a Coke drinker, I also object to having to pay £1.10 for a coke from a garage, which I do not even drink on their premises. We are delighted we were able to fit you in and we look forward to seeing you again.
“oh dear”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

my wife and i are locals in kislingbury now for 3 yrs and have been to this pub twice whilst living here. from the high st the pub looks really nice full of character and looks like a lovely asset to the village, however the landlady has a reputation of being somewhat rude . the food however is without doubt on the last occasion we ate there was fantastic . our compliments to the chef , who clearly knows his job exceptionally well.
basically, in my opinion, a customer service course may be a good idea , advanced level and quick , meanwhile we go to the sun or the cromwell , service with a smile , you should try it. we wont be back and will spread the word

11 Thank neil196969
Chrissienorthants, Landlord at The Olde Red Lion, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Gossip spreads like a disease, as did the plague. This gentleman who states he lives in the village is known to me, he put his principles to one side to dine here on a Groupon Voucher and bought his "Chips" in with him. He most definately does not know the landlady at all, she is hardworking, kind, considerate and compassionate, has raised over £10,000 for charity. She is outspoken, does not suffer fools or rude people gladly, (why should she) if she had something to say to you, she would say it to your face and then it would be forgotten about as she does not bear grudges. She would never write rude or insulting things on an internet site, which I thought was for reviewing dining establishments not an opportunity to personally insult other human beings. I have always JOKED with regulars that My policy is that "our prices are set at a certain level to keep a certain sort of person out, unfortunately on ocassion we do fail".....unfortunately offering a dining deal has opened our doors to people who would not normally have chosen to dine at this sort of establishment and it has at times, not been a pleasant experience for us either, so perhaps I should actually make it our Policy in future ! All diners here have an opportunity to speak to us face to face with any gripe" they may or may not have", Should anyone have any reservation about visiting us, we would welcome an opportunity for them to pop in, be shown around, have a chat with us over a complimentary drink and make up their own minds. The Landlord
“disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

I got taken here by my family and we went with a Groupon voucher, I was looking forward to this as the pub had won an award for its food. When I got to the pub there was no one else there and it was so empty, and at lunch time I expected it to be busy. We ordered our food and the man behind the bar was lovely and chatty with a good sense of humour, the food was also lovely and presented well. There was a group of us sat in eating our meal and the woman kept constantly coming over to watch us, feeling like she wanted us to leave as soon as we finished our meals. She was very rude and it felt like she did not want to interact with customers who were going to her pub. I was so shocked with the way she spoke down to us and was very disappointed as I have heard so many good reviews from this place. I was so unsatisfied with the customer service we received.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank s351
We are sorry you were disappointed with your visit, the Landlord is a Joker and the bar where you would have dined at lunch time and it is most definately his domain. If the landlady was coming over to your table it would have been to make sure you were OK, that your meal was OK, you had drinks, clearing plates etc. not as you possibly thought that she wanted you to leave, she was definately not trying to be rude but possibly trying to make sure you were looked after. If this is a genuine reviewer, we would rather they had spoken to us in person and we would appreciate an opportunity to discuss the misunderstanding with them, should they wish to contact us in person.