“Excellent !!!!”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
“Excellent !!!!”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I would like to say that I have been going to the Olde Red Lion for the past 18months and have never had a bad experience. In fact quite the opposite, fantastic food and presentation, service second to none, and as for Chris and Paul you could not wish to meet a nicer couple. They go that extra mile to satisfy the customer, always so obliging. I often dine with my partner but also take family and friends to this country pub as I know they will be impressed, I dined here last saturday evening and then again for sunday lunch, which I have to say was superb! It is just like home to home, so cosy and welcoming. Please give this country pub a visit, you will not be disappointed.

• Visited November 2012
Chrissienorthants, General Manager at The Olde Red Lion, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Whilst diners return here again and again, there was only one person who dined here last Saturday evening and again on Sunday, so we thank her for taking the time to post this Review and we look forward to seeing you and your guests on many more ocassions.

“re review”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We were not groupon diners when we had our bad experience.We also had our candle blown out and the lights switched off.The food was good,the restaurant was cosy.I cannot beleive how this landlady can fabricate things like she does.There are so many complaints about you,dont you ever stop to think that it might be you and not the customers !!!!!!!!

Visited October 2012
12 Thank gail401623
Chrissienorthants, General Manager at The Olde Red Lion, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
The same people continually post nasty reviews on this web site, because it is in their nature to do so, this is further proof as the reviewer has another review posted only approx 8 weeks ago. Firstly the restaurant is cosy, because the person you refer to makes it so, the food is good because she is also behind the standards we require in the kitchen, the toilets are spotless because she cleans them. Instead of hiding behind their user name, perhaps they would like to telephone or pop in and call the person they refer to, a Liar to her face......because she would be happy to take an oath to the fact that the facts as we represent them are total truth and nothing but the truth, we can back up everything we state within a 72 hour period because we have 16 CCTV cameras with voice recorderding PIRs in the building. Did the landlord imagine the lady in the party calling the landlady names before entering the restaurant, a member of the party saying lets p..s them off ? and further more banging on our window with a walking stick after they had left the bulding, all of which as stated in our previous response is appalling. The only time we would blow out a candle is if it had totally burnt through and it was only the oil that was alight, which would start to smoke and smell.....the burn time on a t-light being approx 3 hours if the candle was lit from new. If you did not enjoy yourselves here, or had misgivings about coming in the first place, then that is OK, but to post malicious reviews with intent is not a pleasant trate and we would therefore question your integrity, having felt a need to write yet another nasty review inside of 8 weeks. We have a 4 out of 5 rating with Trip Advisor, 82 EXCELLENT REVIEWS and 18 VERY GOOD ONES, are all these Reviewers also deemed to be Liars.
“Review of review!”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I was interested to note a recent November bad review. As I was on the pub on the same evening I would would suggest readers beware. The response from the owner was a complete pack of lies. Whilst our meal was fine I was total disgusted by the way fellow diners were treated.

7 Thank Jtw1957
Chrissienorthants, General Manager at The Olde Red Lion, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
As I we dont know what Review you refer to we cannot comment, other than in this case responding myself....I the landlady has never ever told a lie either on this web site or otherwise and I resent the fact that someone who does not know me, would suggest I did, because it is not in my nature to lie, I am truthful to the point, being truthful however often gets one in as much trouble as lieing.......but I would rather be dammed as being honest than as a liar......But I will not put up with anyone being rude to us in our home, neither would the reviewer and believe me, not everyone is pleasant, but thankfully most are. As the reviewer implys they were eves dropping they possibly did not hear the full extent of the conversation, why else would someone post such comments......its all too easy to for what the previous reviewer (god bless him!) called " sleepless trolls" to post continuing nasty reviews into any period of good or great reviews for any business they may wish to discredit for whatever their reason.
“Nice and Cosy”
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I would 1st like to say people go to a country pub and they expect 5star service, then go to Indian restaurants and expect some sort of VIP excecutive none sense, and maybe go to a Italian and expect the waiters to sing to you like in the movies, people expect too much for too less, ever tried to complain to KFC, McD or Domino's of course not, WHY because they show u the door, I would really like to meet the Guy who mentioned 'Customers are always Right', Iv worked in many restaurants and 98% of the time it's the customers fault, it's made me change my career, Iv worked in Michelin star restaurants I'm 26 I'm a qualified mechanic and live it, most of you people are awkward, you think you can get away with it because its a small business u people need to get a life.

Now back to the review, this place is an example of 'country pub' and how it should be the gravy is always thick the chips are chunky, nice old fashion design I went on my first date with my new girlfriend in August and have been back 3 times, we've had a roast it was definitely amazing like at home, nice desserts, nicer staff, love that fireplace, please don't read the negative reviews its just sleepless trolls, and people who over exaggerate thing, Ciao

Chrissienorthants, General Manager at The Olde Red Lion, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
As an incoming Review Alert from TA titled Nice and Cosy, before I opened the e-mail I thought "that sounds OK", not "what garbage is coming through now".....but OMG, well done to you for speaking it as it often is, just like you, we have heard of many chefs who leave the industry because they get sick to death of what you describe, something which is hardly ever found in any other industry and we are forever being told by people that they would not do what we do every night of the week.....have to front the sometimes nasty side of the general public. As you state we are a "Pub" who serve great food, with good, friendly service, and excellent presentation, we are not a Michelin starred Restaurant, just as well because any Michelin Chef would not tolerate the behaviour we often have to. Thank you to you for speaking out and we look forward to seeing you again soon, whoever you are, because the nice people are not as easy to remember having dined as the not so nice ones.
“Groupon Deal.”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We went on Friday 9th November 2012 for Lunch for the first time. A typical village well run pub / restaurant, it was quiet, but had just opened. We had the pork and sea bass, which were cooked to perfection and stunning. The deserts of bread & butter pudding and a crumble were again to the same standard. I believe that some people just write reviews just so they can moan for the sake of it, and would find something wrong whatever.
Will be returning and recommending.

• Visited November 2012
Chrissienorthants, General Manager at The Olde Red Lion, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you so very much to the reviewer for their review, which totally coincidentally, somewhat supports our response to the previous review.........we are delighted your experience of dining with us was such a positive one, which as we previously stated, is what most people Groupon and otherwise experience and a bad experience is often down to the nature of the diner. We look forward to seeing you again.