“Lovely big, cosy riverside pub.”
Review of The Britannia

The Britannia
Ranked #232 of 520 Restaurants in Northampton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: May be found under 'Chef & Brewer' or perhaps Weatherspoons
Coventry
“Lovely big, cosy riverside pub.”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Arranged to meet some friends in this pub as it was mid way between our homes and what a lovely pub it turned out to be. Its quite cosy and spacious inside, with an olde pub kind of feel to it. Outside theres a large patio area with outside seating next to the river. There were lots of weeds and overgrown stuff between the decking fence and the river which I felt could be tidied up a bit, plus the steps leading down to it was a bit wobbly! Still, minor points. The car park was a good size so plenty of room.

The drinks were reasonably priced, staff were friendly and attentive. Some of us ate. I felt the prices were a bit high for food, but the Sunday Roast seemed reasonable which is what some of us had. The meal itself was I thought nice but average. Certainly tasty and clean plates left.

Id definitely like to return here again and experince more dishes etc and id recommend it to anyone as a place to meet up with friends etc.

1 Thank jackinbox99

northampton
“poor service”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I visited The Britannia on a week day for a late lunch with two friends. It took approx 20 mins to be served at the bar for our food order to be taken. The barman was unfriendly and ignored myself and another gentleman whilst we tried to attract his attention. There was only one member of staff serving behind the bar on a fairly busy afternoon.The other customer was waiting to complain about the slow service and the fact their table hadn't been cleared when they sat down , also they had given up waiting for dessert. When the food arrived it was fine but we had had to clear our own table. We had ordered dessert but it didn't arrive and no one came over to clear our table when we finished eating. I eventually had to queue again at the bar for 10 mins to ask the barmaid about our pudding, she said she would deal with it. 15 mins later still no pudding so again I had to queue at the bar and the barmaid seemed irritated that I was asking again.There was yet another customer in front of me complaining about the service and asking for a wet cloth so they could wipe their own dirty table. The pudding finally arrived cold with congealed custard. All in all we were at the Britannia for approx 2 hours when we had wanted a quick lunch. Having previously had a good visit to the Britannia I was disappointed and won't be going back in a hurry, clearly there are not enough staff on duty and the ones who are seem to view customers as an annoyance.

2 Thank daisy3663
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Lovely place, very friendly barmaid”
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Found this lovely pub while staying the night in the holiday inn across the road. Was very pleasantly surprised. Sat outside on comfy seats enjoying view of river. Great food. Lovely lady behind bar who unbelievably gave me her own chocolate when I asked if there were any shops I could walk to to buy some! This visit made a perfect end to lovely day and was nice to get a friendly welcome

• Visited August 2013
“Poor service, very limited menu, average food.”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I took my family to The Britannia for Sunday dinner after popping in for a drink after a walk. I asked the bar man if they were doing Sunday dinner and what time they stopped and he said yes and when they ran out. Everything was fine except for the Gammon which was running low. This was around 6pm.
We drove home and picked up our children and drove straight back. We were there at 7pm.
On entering the pub we stood for ages at the sign which told us to wait until being seated.. With everyone staring at us.. Feeling uncomfortable, we eventually caught the eye of a young woman with blonde hair scrapped into a bun and glasses. She did not speak but I said ' we need a table for 5 please'. To which she looked amazingly annoyed and threw her hands up in the air and said in a barely English accent ' I cannot do this, you will have to sit outside!'
Shocked and a bit embarrassed we began making our way outside.. When we got there there was nowhere suitable to sit and it was getting a bit cold, we went back inside and I saw lots of empty tables that could have been pushed together or rearranged to suit us. My partner approached a male member of staff and asked if this would be possible..he looked very put out but said 'ill see what I can do!' Anyway after a good ten minutes of us standing around feeling awkward and wanting to leave, he came back and said yes we can pull another chair up to this table! So all that fuss, and why couldn't the woman we first spoke to have just done that. She was rude and unapologetic and avoided eye contact with us the whole time we were there.
So we sat down to chose our roast dinners only to go up and be told each and every one was totally sold out!!
We would have left there and then if it wasn't late and we didn't have hungry kids with us so we reordered from a very limited menu with the very in imaginative selection of fish and chips, burgers and lasagna, not what we had wanted at all!
The food came out in plenty of time and was ok. We decided to order some of their ridiculously expensive deserts. At 4.99 almost as much as the main meal.. Only to be told out of the 5-6 options available there was only 2 to chose from! Our two girls chose the cookie ice cream which was 4.99 each and consisted of 3 scoops of ice cream on a giant cookie. Very disappointing and overpriced!
Needless to say our family meal out was a complete disaster and we won't be returning to The Britannia anytime soon. It's a shame they turned a decent riverside pub into the generic pub restaurant with a very unimaginative menu, half of which wasn't available anyway, served by rude and hassled looking young staff who made you feel they didn't want you to be there at all.

Market Bosworth, United Kingdom
“Decent place, lovely food, and reasonably priced.”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I recently visited here with a few family members for a sunday lunch and was most impressed with the pricing, quality of the food and the pleasant and courteous manner of the staff.
We could certainly go back.

• Visited July 2013