“Big Portions”

Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: May be found under 'Chef & Brewer' or perhaps Weatherspoons
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We visited here last night. First thing I noticed is that it's a family friendly pub i.e plenty of noisy children; which is fine with me as I have two little ones of my own so I can switch off to it. My starter of Stilton and peppercorn mushrooms was very nice and my main of Vegetable patch pie was tasty and plentiful, in fact I couldn't clear my plate which is a very rare occurance. I'm sure a visit in the summer would be better with being situated on a river but on the whole this is decent pub grub!

TheBritannia, General Manager at The Britannia, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Hi, thanks for the review
I'm glad you have enjoyed your visit with us & you loved the food that much to clear your plate. We are a family friendly venue but not a fun house, in the summer its even more beautiful & relaxing.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

First visit to the pub for a meal and was pleasantly surprised at the choices on offer, especially as it is one of a chain. In addition to their usual menu there was a special game menu with, pheasant, boar and venison on it. We were there with two friends for lunch. We had starters, with a main course, finishing with coffees. The starters consisted of pate, satay chicken and scotch and egg ( haggis and poached egg ). The servings were generous, well presented and tasty. The mains covered a wide range of choices from pub favorites like steaks, burgers, fish and chips, as well as some unusual menu items. We settled for sea bass risotto, slow cooked beef, duck breast and belly pork. The meals were excellent with the only point was the red cabbage served with the pork and duck is not to everyone's taste. The staff were very friendly and helpful. This is a restaurant I will put on the list to return to and to take friends to.

Hi, thanks for the great review.
I'm very glad that were on your favorites list and hope to see more of you.
Many Thanks
Dave

Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Another visit to one of our favourite pubs.
Although this is part of a chain, it has good character. With good food and service. A special mention to Dave and Suki for the Valentine balloons, even though we had not booked a special meal.

No doubt will be back before the month is out...

Hi, thanks for the fab review.
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and will be returning, hope that the balloons cheered her up also.
Many Thanks
Dave

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I was visiting Northampton on business and was recommended this pub restaurant by the client so I thought I'd give it a try. Its just of the main Bedford Road and had a large car park to the front. The atmosphere was very nice as I walked in with a lovely tradional pub feel. As a lone traveller, I'm always interested to see how restaurants treat a single person compared to a couple or a group but I am glad to say that I was dealt with promptly and efficiently. I was seated in the restaurant part of the pub and my drinks order was taken by the waiter in a timely manner. The Britannia is known for its good home cooked meals and it was certainly busy that night as it has been each time I've been in for a drink since then. I ordered the Stilton and peppercorn mushrooms for starters followed by the steak and ale pie for the main. The starters was very nice but I was disappointed in the steak and ale pie.There were only three pieces of steak in the pie in which one of the had gristle which put me off the rest of the meal. So it literally left a bad taste in my mouth. The service was quick and attentive and I cant fault it.
As I said before, the place seems very popular and was busy throughout the night so maybe I just had a dud meal. I am willing to give The Britannia the benefit of the doubt and try again another night simply because that many people can't be wrong...... can they?

Hi, thanks for the review.
Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry that you left unhappy with the regards to the pie. I would hope that you come join us again when your down this way to restore the reputations faith to you.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I have just moved to the area and are not too savvy when it comes to local restaurants. We decided to visit the Britannia as we have driven past it a few times and thought it looked nice. We were seated very quickly at a nice table, however the chairs were creaky and the table wobbled (we weren't overly fussed). We were given the January specials menu to have a look at, however it all seemed a little over priced compared to the normal menu.
We chose the Camembert starter - it was delicious! The chutney and greens went well and we ate it in record time! The only thing i would suggest is maybe provide an even amount of bread as we were fighting over the last piece!

For mains we went with the Hunters Chicken and the Steak Burger. I saw the meals coming towards us and thought 'that can't be ours' as it looked huge! The portion sizes were good which is a pleasant surprise as I find most expensive eateries only give small portions (how does that work, eh!?). We were offered a sauce of our choice, my boyfriend requested mayo and i asked for bbq sauce.. only to be told they do not have any. I pointed out that my boyfriend had bbq on his chicken and the waiter looked at us blankly and simply told us they don't have any. I was rather confused but let it go. The meal itself was delicious, very tasty and filling! The plates were cleared in good time and we were offered deserts which we declined. A different waiter helped us this time and was very friendly. We requested the bill which came and we put down our card, which the waiter saw. He walked off (we assumed to get the card machine) and didn't return. We tried to get his attention but he seemed to be too busy talking to someone at the bar. After half an hour of waiting we gave up and went to the bar to pay. After speaking to a friend they advised you usually pay at the bar, however we were not advised of that.. if he had mentioned this when he saw us put down our card it would have saved us from looking like lemons!

Regardless of the sauce and payment issue - the visit was thoroughly enjoyable and the food excellent. We will definitely return soon!

Hi, thanks for the good review.
As by your review you weren't overly impressed by the team on this visit but made up for it by the food, on this I apologise and thank for the feedback. Feedback to us is always a bonus and relish the chance to improve on in areas, I will look into this further.