“Well Worth a Visit!”
Review of Althorp House

Althorp House
Ranked #7 of 59 things to do in Northampton
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Went here via a Red Letter Day booking for a tour of Althorp followed by a cream tea at the Hall!

We thought that we had picked the wrong day as the heavens opened on the way to Althorp but by the time we parked-up the sun was trying to come out! What followed was a glorious Summer's day in the most beautiful and tranquil of surroundings.

We decided to leave our coats and umbrella's in the car (wise move as it happens because the afternoon was very hot and sunny). The Hall does not open till 12.00pm and then we sorted out our tickets, map and the guidebook each at the entrance after the gate opened. You can then walk to the Hall or bus it. We chose the former and our leisurely stroll took 10 minutes. Then we went straight into the exhibitions - which was both exciting and poignant at the same time. I had forgotten how much Diana had crammed in such a short life. The exhibition brings this all back to life and the dresses, gifts, reports, films etc also brings back good memories of a good person that was cut down in her prime.

After the exhibition you have two options either the Oval or the house (the latter does not open till 1.00pm). We decided on the Oval and so went past the 'closed' House and headed for the Lake, The Island, The Temple and The Ducks! The was simple, peaceful (apart for the ducks) and very serene. This is all very tastefully done and we felt Diana was at peace.

We then moved onto the House which was now open for business. We started off with the upstairs first and found all the rooms were wonderfully decorated and full of stories. The middle part of the house has a magnificant staircase that can be viewed but unfortunately cannot be walked! If only. The downstairs is just as interesting as the staff bring it all to life!

There is a small gift shop at the exit to the house but there is a bigger one opposite the cafe.

All of the House and gardens are in beautiful condition and we felt as though they were well cared after. There is a picnic area as well as a small cafe, outdoor seating and well maintained toilets.

Next we went to the Stable area which had been transformed into a private impromptu tea room and our cream tea was served here (tea with one scone, butter, jam, clotted cream and some summer fruit). I could have managed another scone but was too shy to ask for more!

I purchased a token gift from the gift shop to finish off the afternoon.

Hopefully this will not be my last visit to Althorp but Diana's Exhibition may not be here as this is likely to be the last summer it will be on display at Althorp before the collection is handed over to the 'princes' to do with what they will.

A wonderful afternoon was had by all and so we recommend a visit while you still can see it in all it's glory!

4  Thank LUFC_Fan
in 7 reviews
"free flow"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

With the Diana exhibition closing after this year I thought it was time we finally paid our respects, we turned up the first morning to find that the grounds were only open from noon and the house from 1pm. I had misread the details as I was watching all the exceptions to the days that the house was open but we returned and paid for our tickets and extra to include the upstairs rooms with hindsight I wouldn’t bother as one more room of portraits and 3 bedrooms didn’t add anything for me. We did not take on the audio recording either (I always find I it is like going round with friends who are all listening to their mobiles and don’t interact) this system was an extra £3ea but when we found that there were no other details to be found in the rooms then maybe we should have. There were 2 weird modern paintings with all the historical paintings which were provocative in design and out of place.

There is a shuttle mini bus to and from the gate to the exhibition area, and there are clean and plentiful toilets, a shop for the usual souvenirs, ice cream stall, self-service café which served a range of sandwiches, scones and drinks plus a picnic area for those who prefer it. There is also a special cream-tea red letter day customers’ area. The exhibition was full of Diana’s childhood items, wedding details, a selection of dresses and a wall of condolence books I found this all tastefully done and moving. There was an assumption that everyone new that Diana was buried on the island in the lake as the sign post just said “to the lake”.

5  Thank JoPattern
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Visited a number of stately homes in Britain in earlyJuly 2013 and Althorp was my favourite.The combination of beautiful setting,Diana's exhibition and the family history all presented gently felt good. I liked that no photos were allowed in the Diana exhibition and thought the whole thing was very respectful. The lake and her memorial were tranquilly lovely and even the gift shop and decor of the tourist aeas were tasteful, no commercial vulgarity as in some other stately home settings.

3  Thank Robin I
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This was my second time visiting Althorp. Take advantage of the audio tour, you learn so much. The house it so amazing, paintings alone are worth the visit. The staff are also so knowledgeable and seem to really love the house. Diana exhibition is so informative without being ghoulish. Earl Spencer was there signing books at the time of our vsiit but we missed him by minutes - gutted. Please take the time to vsiit this historic house and especially walk through the grounds which are kept immaculately.

3  Thank JanRayYoung