“Bought from Tesco's, warmed up in The Vineyard”
Review of The Vineyard

The Vineyard
Ranked #194 of 516 Restaurants in Northampton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Bought from Tesco's, warmed up in The Vineyard”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I never review before but this meal was so bad that I felt compelled to warn others.
Saturday night at 8pm 2 tables being used, everyone else obviously knew what I was about to find out.

In brief ordered the Pan fried mackerel for starters, next thing I knew I look over and the waitress walks in with a Tesco's carrier bag, she went round the back of the bar and emptied the contents, guess what was in there?? Vaccum packed mackerel fillets!!
When she came round I asked her if the mackerel in the bag was for me, she said their wasn't any mackerel, just a phone charger, after an awkward discussion of to-ing and fro-ing, where I explained I physically seen the mackerel, she called over the manager/owner.
Unlike the waitress, the manager said that in fact that was my starter!! I proceeded to explain that I came here for fresh fish not Tesco's, the manager/owner said that it was fresh haha mmm the signs don't look good at this point. I said id like to leave the starter altogether.

I asked the manager why she didn't come and say they had no mackerel, too which I got a pale looking face, I also asked why the waitress lied about what id seen?, the waitress pipes up with 'I told you it had mackerel in the bag, I explained that too you!!' I place my face in my hands and said its best we leave it their.
I'm not keen on being lied to and made to feel a fool, from then on the rest of the meal was very uncomfortable to say the least.

My fiancé had Queen scallop's starter which their was plenty 8 but they were tiny, almost prawn sized, oh yes costing £10.95, I have my suspicion that these were also cheap pre-packed however I never seen them opening the packet for these.

The main meals were fish platter and risotto, there's no point picking the bone out of these meal, that's a fitting turn of phrase as that's what I found myself doing with this platter.
At the end of the meal, I was charged full price £70 bottle of prosecco and glass of sauvignon blanc. I was never offered an apology, so didn't expect any financial benefit. Considering there was only two sets of diners, someone had to pay for the shopping. I decided to pay without quibbling, too be honest I just wanted out at that point.

On the way out I asked the lady if she was the manager, she said yes, I explained my feelings and that I would being reviewing the meal, she was left and phased and said she understood and for me to have a good evening. Still no apology

Summary The food was poor at best, the service was terrible but I guessing they didn't want to come back to me after this, and bill was extremely over priced.

I'm warning my friends and I hope you heed my warning, avoid at all cost!

• Visited June 2014
10 Thank Trevorfrancis70

Northampton
“Not impressed”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

A very disappointing experience. Very average food, below average service and little or no atmosphere. I had hoped for better.

Attention to detail is, in my view, important, as is first impressions. The first thing all of us noticed was that the cutlery on the table, there were 6 of us didn't match. Neither did the glasses brought to the table with the jug of water we requested.

I ordered the fillet steak and when it was brought to the table it was wrongly given to my son who had ordered the sirloin. It didn't look like fillet and, once it was correctly given to me, it turned out to be the toughest, medium cooked, fillet I had ever had.

As I said previously, there were six of us. When the potatoes were brought to the table we thought that more would follow as there wasn't enough for us all. The serving of vegetable was even worse. In both cases we had to order more. The first dish of vegetables had 4 florets of broccoli, the second had 2. it was much the same with the other vegetables. Really not enough, even though extra was ordered, to cater for all of us. Of the 6 of us there, only my wife was happy with her main course, the rest of us were not.

The starters were ok, as were the desserts, however, I could have done with a little less tomato based sauce on my fishcake starter. I could barely taste the fish.

It's a shame our experience was so poor as it's important to support independent local restaurants. This is not one that we will be visiting again though.

Not recommended.

• Visited May 2014
7 Thank folkjokeopus
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
“Don't expect to be blown away”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

We recently dined at the Vineyard on their pre-theatre menu. On the plus side the food is cooked fresh and the prices are really very reasonable.
Unfortunately the tastiest thing I ate were the vegetables, my steak had little flavour and the Diane sauce was very thin. The garlic mushrooms I had as a starter didn't taste of garlic although I could see pieces of garlic in the butter.
All in all I'd say if you are looking for somewhere to eat prior to the theatre that won't break the bank then it certainly ticks the boxes, but don't expect to be blown away.

• Visited May 2014
Ironbridge, United Kingdom
“Nice to have an independent restaurant in town”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

This little restaurant tries very hard to give you that special independent restaurant experience. Northampton sadly lacks quality eating establishments...there are a few good ones but not enough. The food is good, perhaps a little on the expensive side but it's worth the dining experience. It is rarely very busy during the week (from my observation) which is such a shame. They do offer a pre-theatre menu which is a little cheaper. I would like to see a few more vegetarian/healthy options on the menu. A very friendly restaurant and a good place to catch up with friends.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank pelham_11
Northampton, United Kingdom
“LOVELY FOOD AND EVENING”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I enjoued a splendid pre theatre dinner this week. It was a fabulous get together with friends and set near the theatre which is just the perfect location, literally a few minuts walk. It surrounded by the guildhall vintage buildings in the nice area of town.

The food was amazing, not to heavy which is the last thing you want before the theatre. amazing choices and delicous food. I will be using the vineyard for all our pre theatre and general occassions. I really enjoyed the service , a lovely welcoming and warm place.

5 stars all round for this place.

• Visited February 2014