“Always Excellent!”

Dining options: Reservations
England
“Always Excellent!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Walking into The Sheaf restaurant is like walking into a 70's living room. But if you don't love that, don't let it put you off! Derek looks after you while Annie and co cook the most fabulous food. Their steaks are amazing - even in large parties, nobody has ever had to return food for not being cooked as they have asked. Even the vegetables are served up with care and attention. We have had many good nights and many great meals at The Sheaf and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

• Visited November 2012

“Classic 60s”
Reviewed November 28, 2012 via mobile

The Sheaf is a classic example of what epitomised the pinnacle of English cuisine in the late sixties and early seventies. A gem of a place to be treasured and supported. There are very few of these type of restaurants left - enter the spirit and enjoy!

1 Thank Jeremy K
Preston, United Kingdom
“surprise dinner for my birthday”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Derek and Annie, whaat can I say. From entering The Sheaf you are made very welcome and to feel somewhat special. This was our first visit. Derek is fantastic with his sales pitch for your "specials" menu. Having described them, what's in them and how they are cooked while you are having your pre-dinner drinks the taste buds are really excited.
Annie came to take our orders and asked me where did I get that fantastic tan?. On my honest reply..... Wigan....the other people all of course thought what a good joke. On explainig that it was in fact true as we live just outside of Wigan they want to come and gat "a Wigan suntan". The evening was then secured for a very warm and friendly (chatty) time. The food as ordered came and was absolutely delicious, I had for starters vol-au-vents and side salad which were fantastic, main course was duck a'lorange, perfect and a sweet of profiterolls. What is served with these dishes you will need to visit and discover for yourselves, I can promise that you will be amazed. Derek came to the table during the main course and offerd a damp face cloth in a small bowl with the announcement that I can now use my fingers for the because I know you want to. A very nice gesture even if it was done in merryment. At the end of the meal he came back with a "birthday present" which was a candle stuck in a strawberry, one of those candles you can't blow out, wonderful thought that got us all laughing (again). A wonderful evening with some great people and fantastic food.
The next time we are in Northampton The Sheaf is n the top of our list of places to Eat or visit.
A big Thank You to all the staff (friends) at The Sheaf.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank John K
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Unique!”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We have been visiting this restaurant for years, and although we like to try other places, this keeps drawing us back. The steaks are excellent and done in various ways - it's the only place my husband will have steak rare as he knows the quality is definitely good enough. The duck is spot on. We love cheeky Derek and his floorshow displaying the specials of the day, and Annie is a whizz in the kitchen. The desserts are always great and it is such good value and the cheeseboard is amazing. Ok the decor is old-fashioned, but I think that adds to the charm. This is truly unique!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank angelaj423
Northampton
“Very Impressed! Service unmatched anywhere!”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Recently visited this charming pub/restaurant with my fiancee. I had heard positive things about the sheaf but as anywhere being my first time I had no idea what to expect. This place truly is a unique dining experience. I won't go into to much detail please treat yourself and visit the sheaf inn. Not cheap but lovely food and first class service. Derek and Annie thank you very much. We will be back!