“Great little place”
Review of Hopping Hare

Hopping Hare
Ranked #20 of 536 Restaurants in Northampton
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Hopping Hare is a restaurant, pub & hotel. FoodThe quality of our food is really important to us.That's why everything is prepared from the finest ingredients, the freshest produce and the very best meat and fish.Our head chef has hand picked suppliers who support our food ethos and knows where the meat is reared, how the fish is caught and where the vegetables have been grown. We source locally as much as possible.Our Menus are updated regularly offering slowly braised, heart-warming comfort food when it's chilly outside, and lighter, pan-fried dishes with tender fresh vegetable and salads during the summer months. We offer chef specials every day, while Sunday's menu offers you a choice of Great British roasts with all the trimmings. It's always advisable to book to ensure a place in our relaxed conservatory restaurant.Table service is also available in the contemporary dining room with its more casual atmosphere.DrinkWhen the temperatures dip outside, we get the log fires burning to create a warm welcome, while in summer the sun streams through the open doors to reveal a large decked area that's perfect for outdoor days and balmy evenings.The contemporary dining room area is cleverly zoned by interior design to accommodate groups of all sizes. There are perfect spots for business people, backed up by free WiFi throughout the building. You will also find quiet, intimate corners for couples, fireside sofas and seating clusters for small groups as well as semi-formal table arrangements. We provide newspapers every day.Our bar staff know a thing or two about serving the perfect drink for all occasions. A range of super chilled lagers sit happily alongside cask ales - all kept in tip-top condition by our cellar manager. A well balanced wine list includes something for all tastes and is available by the glass or the bottle, and there's an extremely well stocked spirits range. Soft drinks & freshly brewed teas or coffee are available at all times.For very special occasions we stock a range of champagnes.
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I like the hopping hare as it's close to home and the food is good. The menu could do with an update, lots of meat dishes and whilst I do eat meat I sometimes like something a little different.

david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Jlindajen,

Thank you for your complimentary review.

Delivering first class customer service and excellent quality food are our 2 highest priorities.

Our menu is indeed due for change which will be happening shortly after Easter.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Our meal was fine and the service was very good but when it came to the deserts it was surprising that they could not manage to serve it at the required temperature. Our table and the one next to us endured having a very hot bowl with cold crumble inside. My wife also had a cold sticky toffee pudding and there was not really a positive response from the staff on this issue.

david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Mike,

Really pleased that our food was fine and our service was very good.

I am sorry that the desserts were not up to scratch on this occasion. I understand that you were not charged for them, but that is not the point. We take on board your comments.

I hope you can call again when I am very confident our normal excellent standards will be in place.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I've eaten here on a few occasions, but the last time was certainly one of the best. Went with work colleagues, including 2 visiting from South Africa. Service was, as always, attentive without being too much.

david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Rosamund,

Thank you very much for your complimentary review and I am pleased that we consistently offer excellent customer service.

Fantastic food and excellent customer service are our two key priorities.

For any special occassion, or indeed if you would just like something special which is not on the menu, then we are very happy to arrange this for you. Please just ask Dave, General Manager or the Manager on duty.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We went here in a reasonably large group as a recommendation. We had to pre-order our food 'to avoid a long wait' and it really was very ordinary. The food was luke warm at best with a burger that must have been charred on the outside and then microwaved it was cooked so badly. The decor is quite contemporary but thats about where the compliments stop.

I was surprised at the clientelle here as well, we had all made an effort yet some felt it was OK to wear jeans and trainers on a Saturday night to what bills itself as a nice restaurant! Not their fault but I did wonder if they knew something we didn't!

I wouldn't recommend this a special treat, it's really just a poshed up Bernie Inn at best. Sorry.

david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for your feedback.

We source our products from the very best suppliers and unlike most restaurants, all our food is freshly prepared every day on site.

We strive to provide excellent quality all the time but over the past few weeks there may have been inconsistency as we have been recruiting a new Head Chef, who is now on board.

I am very confident that our exceptionally high standards will be re-established very quickly.

Regards

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Ok I had my very first risotto in this restaurant several years ago which i really enjoyed. I subsequently revisited this restaurant many times and was always pleased with the standard of the meal. I revisited a year ago and had a substandard risotto which tasted like a vegetable rice rather than risotto. I was put off visiting for a while but decided to revisit this weekend hoping that things would've changed in the last year. However again a poor risotto with hard rice. It did not look appetising and it had too many mushrooms! My girlfriends meal was mussels in white wine sauce in which she found almost half the dish contained closed mussels. However she reports that her starter was very nice and must say I was pleased with my starter as well. I used to use this restaurant on a monthly basis but i'm afraid will now be taking my business a mile down the road to the Fox and Hounds. Hopefully things will improve.

david g, Owner at Hopping Hare, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Dear Riceman,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very pleased that your starters were very good but disappointed that your risotto was not up to our normal excellent standards.

We are one of the few restautrants in Northamptonshire which prepares all our food from fresh produce on a daily basis and we source only from the very best quality suppliers. We should be excellent at all times but we may have been inconsistent on occassion over the past few weeks whilst we have been recruiting a new Head Chef.

I can tell you that we have a new Head Chef starting on Monday 4th March who has previously been Head Chef at various 2 and 3 rosette restaurants and I am very confident that we will very quickly move to these levels of excellence.

So please try us out again soon and I believe y ou will not be disappointed.

David