“Dated”

Ranked #22 of 29 Hotels in Northampton
Empingham, United Kingdom
“Dated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Firstly, you can't really complain at £35 a night but compared I other hotels in that price bracket I can't understand the hugely positive reviews.

Positives; room was clean, nice tv

Negatives: bizarre car park arrangement whereby the mangement wanted me to leave my car keys at reception as its so small 4 of the spaces block in other cars. I refused and was told I had to move it in the morning. So at 6:30am I called to move my car and other guests were angry at me even though I was in an allocated bay.
Heating. No control over radiator in the room was roasting on arrival and upon asking thy turned off the heating in the entire building. Freezing in the morning.
Bathroom. Felt like I'd been in a time machine to the 70's. very dated, mould on the ceiling. Glad I only had to shower once.

As I say it was cheap but I'd rather spend an extra £15 on something with better parking and a nicer room.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Alloa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Was in Northampton on business, and booked into the Langham for a night, found the roon small but clean, had everything you could wish for and a comfy bed, my room was at the back of the hotel, and I found it to be very quiet.
There is a nice little lounge bar with a great selection of beer's on tap, and with sky sport so great if you like the football, which suited me.
This is a well run little hotel, which is clean, and the breakfast is fantastic, another great point is you can see into the open kitchen which is spotless.
You are well looked after in this hotel and the staff are very friendly and make you welcome, parking was secure but limited, I'll be back here the next time I'm in the area on business.

Room Tip: At the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We booked two nights so we could travel into London by train to attend a wedding. Very secure parking was available and easy walking distance to the station helped everything go to plan. The room was fine and with a large flat screen TV. The best things about the stay was the superb cooked breakfast which was served with admirable efficiency.
We also enjoyed a Sunday morning walk around the Racecourse which is almost adjacent to the hotel before continuing our journey.

Room Tip: Google Streetview gives a good idea of the layout.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Harrogate, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed one night to visit the uni open day and had booked two twin rooms. Myself and my father in one and my teenaged daughter and her friend in the other. Their room had a double bed and another single bed with ensuite. Ours was two singles in a surprisingly large room with all our needs catered for with a TV, fridge, tea and coffee making facilities (with biscuits), hairdryer, iron and board etc. The beds were noisy due to the plastic sheeting under the sheets and were quite hard which I prefer. They have a thin duvet with sheets and a top cover and two thin pillows which were again fine for me. There was another separate 'dressing room' with modern, newish furniture (wardrobe and drawers) then a separate bathroom with locking door. Again surprisingly large. It was adequate but it needs a shelf above the sink for toothbrush etc instead of having to leave next to taps and a hook for clothes etc. The shower was lovely and hot but the shower screen wasn't attached along the bottom and a little grubby. It needs updating to a more modern model and an extractor fan fitted for the steam.
Despite the heating seeming to be turned off the hotel was very warm. We were uncomfortable at times.
On arrival (around 10pm) we went to the bar which apart from being very warm was sufficient and has a large TV with sky.
The car park is situated around the back and is accessible by a narrow, pot-holed alleyway. As several of the hotels and private houses all use this access they should all chip in and get it resurfaced immediately. It is well signposted but there is no bell or intercom so you have to ring the hotel to get them to let you in. (We did arrive late, but it is probably open earlier) It is gated and secure but tightly packed when full. Depending on where you are parked you may not be able to get out until someone else moves their car. PS You can only turn right onto the road.
Slept well. Our room was in the main hotel and faced the car park. the girls' room was facing the front. Was quiet.
At breakfast there is a choice of cereals on the table and menu for a full English (very large) etc. A glass of OJ is brought to you and they ask for your order and coffee/tea pots are brought. It's laid out very well with everything you could need and is served hot.
The staff are really helpful and friendly and do a great job. Can't fault them.
This really is great value. We paid £45 per room and this included the breakfasts. Fantastic. If daughter goes to the uni, this is where we will stay when we visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KKPHarrogate
paisley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

I went to stay when visiting my granddaughter who lives close to the hotel.I asked for a quiet room and was really pleased with the one I was given as it was at the rear.I slept soundly and then I came down to breakfast and it was amazing.All anyone could require. There is also a seating area at the back and due to the wonderful weather some guests took their papers out to read them there. All in all a very happy stay. Thank you.I will return.Isobel Thomson.

Room Tip: Room at back was very peaceful
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

We needed a place to stay overnight as taking part in a Help For Heroes Netball Tournament the next day. The welcome from Mary was lovely and our room was a good size for 4 people to share, the wall mounted flat screen TV was an unexpected bonus. The room was clean and had everything you could think you could possibly need - I spotted an ironing board & iron. As for breakfast it was just what we needed as it was going to be a long day of netball - truely tasty and plenty of it .... to sum up 'a little gem of a hotel'

Room Tip: For a family of 4 room 25 has a double and two singles and loads of floor space - also easy access t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Meerbusch, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed at the Langham for 2 nights (family of five). We found the hotel met our needs. The rooms are small but have everything one might require including coffee and tea with biscuits. The rooms are clean and the bed was comfortable, the shower was powerful and the water temperature easily regulated. The highlight of our stay were the breakfasts which were served fresh and to order. The service was most accommodating and friendly. The hotel has a car park at the rear which we were able to use on our first night but it was full on the second night and so we had to park on the main road in the front of the hotel. The road leading to the car park at the back of the hotel is in dire need of repair, the pot holes reminded me of my time on training grounds whilst in the army! - however our car managed the course without too much trouble. WLAN was offered at no extra cost - a must nowadays. My thanks to the team. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family