“Don't bother as this hotel overbooks reservations”
Review of Hilton Northampton

Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Northampton
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I often travel to Northampton on business and have always (until now) stayed at the Hilton, mainly due to its handy location. Whilst this hotel is"average" (given the price) I have in this year been really disappointed, for the same reason, TWICE!
I always reserve a room and on two occassions, I have turned up at the hotel at 10pm ( I travel late to avoid M25/M1 traffic) only to be told that there were no rooms for me. The hotel did book another room at another hotel on the first instance and in both cases the other hotels tell me this is a regular occurence.
Top tip - reserve your room elsewhere.
Obviously the Hilton "brand" does not really care about giving any customer service - once is forgiveable, twice forget it. I will be staying elsewhere in future.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
3  Thank SusanS231
hiltonguest, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Northampton, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for writing a review following your recent out booking. I am most disappointed to learn that your experience was less than satisfying, for this, please accept my sincere apologies.

I do understand the inconvenience that was caused to you bearing in mind that you found yourself in this position through no fault of your own.

Due to late cancellations and non arrivals it is our hotel policy to over commit a number of rooms. It is never our intention to redirect a guest to another hotel but unfortunately this happens on the odd occasion.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused to you and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to show you our usual high level of service and standards in the future.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Northampton

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Stayed here for one night on Business.

The hotel needs updating as the bathroom in my room was fairly tired and on par with a travelodge rather than a Hilton hotel.

The room was big, clean and comfortable which is as expected.

Phone signal here is really bad so could not use my own phone to tether to my laptop. As with many UK hotels wifi cost is extortionate at £15 per day which in 2013 makes no sense when you look at how cheap web services are.

Food was surprisingly really good. I had the British buffet and really thought for a buffet the quality was great.

My main gripe was checking out. This was the worst experience i have ever had checking out of a hotel and looking at other reviews a common issue here. It took 45 Mins to check out when considering i was 3rd in the que is crazy. As i needed a VAT receipt i had no alternative but to wait and the delay made me late for a meeting which is not acceptable. The worst part of it was the VAT receipt would not print anyway so the Hotel promised to email it to me which they still have not done.

Considering my bill was near to £200 for the night, i would not stay here again.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay here at the Hilton Hotel Northampton.

I would like to thank you for your comments, as feedback such as yours helps us to continually improve the products and service that we offer.

The Front of House Manager would like to convey her apologies for the extremely slow service that you encountered when trying to check out. She has taken on board your comments and will ensure that the staffing levels are reviewed more frequently so that we can give every guest the prompt service which they are right to expect.

We currently have a maintenance programme in place to update the hotel including the guest bathrooms and there facilities. This year we have started to improve our communal areas and have already redecorated and replaced the furniture and carpet in the lobby. We are hopefully going to be starting the guest room improvements in 2014.

Thank you once again for your comments, and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I stayed here for a family wedding, and the whole wedding package was good! The food and service were very good, and the table wine nice. The rooms were lovely, comfy beds and rooms quite large. Bathroom ok, but shower messy with a flimsy curtain. The drinks were very expensive! Locate is just off the M1, but it's a bit of a run down Hilton. I didn't have breakfast, but others said it was ok, but not great for how much it cost them. All in all, ok to stay in, but a bit budget-esque. However, we were there for a wedding and that was brilliant, so we had a great weekend. Parking was free as it was the weekend, so saved the £5 I thought it was going to be!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review after attending a family wedding here at the Hilton Hotel Northampton.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel. I'm delighted that you enjoyed both the wedding and your overnight stay and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

The hotel was extremely busy with a weekend convention so this obviously put the hotel under pressure (although this should not be an excuse) for the following points:-
Guests dining in the lobby as there was not enough space in the dining room
Bathroom needed updating, toilet seat had unsightly marks that could not be cleaned away
Unsightly stain on sheet
Room absolutely boiling and no way of cooling it down unless you wanted to listen to the rumble of traffic from the motorway
Shower more like a dribble and took ages to warm up
An overpriced bottle of water in the room @£2.50
Overpriced drinks @ the bar, a glass of white wine costing £11.50
Nothing to eat for the children. We were promised chicken nuggets for them but these never turned up. Waiters clearing tables even though it was clear we hadn't finished ( possibly due to heading the table for the diners sitting in the lobby
Heavy smell of cigarette smoke in the corridor and finally a very grumpy receptionist (Michelle) on our departure who obviously did not want to sell the ducks on offer as she huffed & puffed through the sale.

Room Tip: Sorry, can't offer a tip
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

We currently have a maintenance programme in place to update the hotel including the guest rooms and there facilities. This year we have started to improve our communal areas and have just completed the lobby. We are hopefully going to be starting the guest room improvements in 2014 so have passed your concerns regarding the bathroom, heating and noise to our Maintenance Team to address.

I have spoken with the Food & Beverage Manager regarding your dining experience and he would like to apologise for the problems that you encountered. These issues have been discussed with the team members on duty over the weekend to ensure that they provide our guests with the high level of service we aim to achieve. He has also taken on board your comments with regards to our beverage prices and he shall take this into consideration at the next pricing review.

Once again, please accept my apologies and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to show you our usual high level of service and standards in the future.

Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night on business. The hotel does not offer the quality you expect from the Hilton brand.
My room was fine it just felt dated. No fridge just a warm bottle of water to buy for 2.50. I chose to have the British buffet in the restaurant which was adequate but not great. After dinner I wanted to watch a film on my iPad using the hotel wifi. I was shocked to find out that wifi was not free but cost £15 per day! Hilton needs to review their policy immediately as this is unacceptable.
I used the gym and pool in the morning which was good.
Staff were helpful and friendly if a little disorganised. Check out took longer than it should.

• Stayed: October 2013
hiltonguest, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Northampton, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Dear Guest

We currently have a maintenance programme in place to update the hotel including the guest rooms and there furniture. We have just finished improving our communal area by redecorating and replacing the carpets and furniture and should hopefully be starting the guest room improvements in late 2014.

We do not wish any of our guests to leave less than satisfied so have taken on board your comments regarding the in room Wi-Fi charges and shall be discussed by the Management Team when the next pricing reviews are due. I can confirm however that Complimentary Wi-Fi is available to all guests in our Public Areas including Reception and Court Lounge Bar.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Another Hilton - just the same - in need of work to justify the price tag. Room large - with a sofa, however the shower was weak and took time to warm. No air con in the room - there was a bottle of water - however priced at £2.50! opened the window to get some fresh air - oh dear the M1 - too noisy to leave open. next the wifi - surely free at this price - nope.
in fairness the hotel seems to be in the throws of a significant uplift so fingers crossed as the room was VERY tired. the food was okay - had both a buffet evening meal and breakfast - no problems in that area. lets just hope the redecoration reaches the rooms and wifi soon becomes complimentary. then it may become an option again . . . but until then its DeVere for me!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

What a pain they were changing the carpets in the lobby on the day/day we stayed, though the management of this was poor and at times unsafe and inconvenient as we tried work our way round the hotel, why not do the work at night?

Hotel is easy to find situated on the A45 just off the M1 junction.

Room was a good size as was the bathroom, the hotel is light in colour décor, the room had three white walls which showed their age as it gets grubby easily.

Signs take you to the 1st floor via stairs, not sure if there is a lift.

Breakfast was good as was the evening buffet dinner.

Good meeting rooms.

Dear Guest

I do understand the inconvenience that was caused to our guests when having the carpets replaced in the lobby and would like to apologise for this. Due to the working hours of the third party contractors we were unable to have the work completed over night so had to be completed in normal business hours.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel, I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back in the near future.