“Typical of modern Hiltons”
Review of Hilton Northampton

Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Northampton
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

On the plus the rooms are tidy enough, food ok, and this has one of the best hotel gyms going.
On the minus terrible service, poor location with nothing around, and bizarre stain on settee in room!
Room service is the priciest I've seen in a while but the restaurant service is appalling so limited on the food side. Not like there is anywhere round there to eat either.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Jon A
hiltonguest, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Northampton, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out your comments regarding your recent stay here at the Hilton Northampton. I am most disappointed to learn that your experience was less than satisfying, for this, please accept my sincere apologies.

I have noted from your comments that the service you received whilst dining in Seasons Restaurant was not up to our usual high standards, a course of corrective action and re-training regarding anticipating guests needs has been taken with immediate effect.

The comments regarding the Livingwell Faclilites and the accommodation have been passed on to the Club Manager and the Housekeeping Manager to share with their Teams.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused to you, if I can be of any further help please do not hesitate to contact me on the below details.

jacky Jowers

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Was here on a business trip, arrived late. Clean and sizeable rooms, which cannot always be said for hotels these days. Breakfast had a reasonable selection. A bit of an out of the way hotel for me, but I did arrive in the dark and left for a train by taxi at the end of the next day. I always ask for a quiet room as I don't sleep well with a lot of background noise, I lucked out here as there is a fairly consistent level of noise from the busy dual carriageway that ran past the room and I did double check when I booked in. I was also next to a conference/meeting room, so if you are on a break and fancy a lie in then ask to be put somewhere away from this - the noise was loud in the morning (also next to the public ladies rest room, which didn't help)!

Room Tip: Rooms are clean and a decent size, not sure if a quiet room exists as I asked for one, but didn'...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
hiltonguest, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Northampton, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hilton Northampton following your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate all the guest feedback we receive as this enables us to view the hotel from a guest prospective. We were pleased to read your all your positive comments of the hotel and the comments regarding the issues with noise will be passed onto the relevant department to help us move foward with our continued excellent custome service. I hope we can welcome you back again to the HIlton Northampton in the near future.

Yours sincerely
Jacky Jowers

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Just returned from a stay at the Hilton Northampton where we attended as part of a party group. We booked two 4 bedded rooms (what was available) which were spacious and clean and seemed to have been recently updated with modern furnishings and nice decor. We were suprised there was no mini fridge and no lock on the bathroom door.

The breakfast was very good apart from our encounter with a member of the kitchen staff who demonstrated how 'pssd' off she was as the tongs had been left on the food rather than placed on their appropriate resting trays, I felt it necessary to explain 'it wasn't me! because of the way we were made to feel. There was good choice on a self service basis and the area appeared to be managed professionally.

Security turned up twice to complain about the noise we were making (laughing and talking into the early hours). Next time we will stay in the foyer as it wasn't our intention to disturb anyone.. There may be issues with soundproofing!

There is no lift and the corridors are long, so if you are not physically fit ask for a ground floor room. Overall we liked the hotel and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: There is no lift and the corridors are long, so if you are not physically fit ask for a ground floor...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hilton Northampton following your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate all the guest feedback we receive as this enables us to view the hotel from a guest prospective. We were pleased to read your all your positive comments of the hotel and the comments regarding your experience in our Seasons Restaurant will be passed onto the relevant department to help us move foward with our continued excellent custome service. I hope we can welcome you back again to the HIlton Northampton in the near future.

Jacky Jowers

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night in August 2012 with my wife, and we were allocated a room on the first floor. The hotel is a fairly typical Hilton - appalling 'Roman Statue' in the foyer, the usual outdated decor and council leisure centre circa 1990 architecture, but seemed clean with decent facilities. However there is no lift and, despite being disabled and walking with a stick, I was not offered any assistance with my bags either on arriving or on departing (the carparking is quite sparce at the front of the hotel so you have to park quite far away from the main entrance). I have previously enjoyed staying at Hilton Hotels but it is clear this one is not particularly well-run as the staff seem unhappy, and those I encountered were rude and unhelpful. When I reported a problem to the duty manager on the front desk she was very dismissive, and was simply not interested in discussing it further.

The room was adequate, if with tired decor, but the bed was comfortable and the bathroom decently fitted out.

In a nutshell not a great place to stay if you are disabled or place a premium on the good service that Hilton used to provide.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank majorclanger100
hiltonguest, General Manager at Hilton Northampton, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear Guest,

I have noted from your comments that you had to carry your luggage up to your room, the normal procedure is for the member of staff that check’s you into the hotel, should offer assistance with your luggage, I will re-iterate this to my Front Office Manager, as this was obviously was not the case. A room on the ground floor should have been allocated, to have saved you walking up the stairs, a course of corrective action and re-training regarding anticipating guests needs has been taken with immediate effect.

In response to your feedback regarding the duty manager, I have spoken with her and she would like to convey her apologies to you, as her intent was not to come across as dismissive, we usually get very positive feedback about how helpful the staff are here at the hotel.

Sarah Kenny

Reviewed September 2, 2012

The hotel was clean, staff was very friendly and accommodating, room was clean and spacious, it was on the first floor and I could not see any lift, so if stairs are a problem for you, ask for a ground floor room. Breakfast was fine with a good selection of Continental and English breakfast items. When I booked the room I asked for a later check-out at 13 hrs, which was granted without charge. A throughout positive experience. I did not give this hotel an excellent rating only due to lack of AC, which caused the room to be a bit too warm as the windows could not be opened completely and due to the lack of lift availability for less mobile hotel guests.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
hiltonguest, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Northampton, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear Guest,

Our rooms do not have Air Conditioning,however we do supply fans in all of our bedrooms located in the wardrobe to help ease the temperature when the need arises.
We can organise ground floor rooms on check-in and always have a concierge on hand to assist with luggage if guests are located on the 1st floor.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed here on business a few times this year and on both occasions found the place very average indeed.
The room was nice and clean, however the food was average at best, and to be honest it all looks a trifle drab now, needs a big makeover I feel and needs a bit of a buzz about the place feels a little sleepy.
OK but not be rushing back in a hurry will ask our company to use another hotel closer by in the future.
Not what I expected, expect a lot more from a 'Hilton'.......

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Traveljunky911

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hilton Northampton following your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate all the guest feedback we receive as this enables us to view the hotel from a guest prospective. We were pleased to read your positive comments regarding your accommodation and these will be passed onto the Housekeeping Department. Thank you for your comments and I hope we can welcome you back again to the HIlton Northampton in the near future.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

The hotel has a lovely atmosphere. The staff are amazingly attentive, especially the cleaning staff, they are lovely. The rooms are clean, well maintained, may need a bit of updating on the carpet and design front, but generally very good.
Leisure facilities are good. The restaurant food was very good, breakfast amazing. Home made muffins, that are stunning ! My only issue is the £5 a day parking. And a very expensive visitor parking, I would have had a friend to visit but the parking was a crazy price. My other issue, was Coffee was WAY OVER PRICED, I did observe many business man/ woman using hotel as a base for meetings. Lots of coffee on expense accounts being bought. So unlikely hotel will change prices for them, I suggest a discount of %40 for hotel guests though as nearly £5.00 for a coffee is taking the mick !! Then the hotel will at least get trade the rest of the day, as well as morning business meetings. If it hadent been for this everything would have been 5 stars.

• Stayed: August 2012
hiltonguest, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Northampton, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hilton Northampton following your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate all the guest feedback we receive as this enables us to view the hotel from a guest prospective. We were pleased to read all your positive comments of the hotel and these will be passed onto the relevant staff.
Just to clarify the cost of the Parking is 24.00 for 24hours to non residents, however this is greatly reduced to 5.00 for residents and free for all residents staying at the weekend.
I have passed your comments regarding the cost of the Coffee from Cafe Cino to the Food & Beverage Manager for his comments.

Thank you again for taking the time to complete a review and I hope we can welcome you back again to the HIlton Northampton in the near future.