“Fantastic place, great food, great staff.. it doesn't get much better!”

The Fox & Hounds - Harlestone
Ranked #30 of 516 Restaurants in Northampton
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: An idyllic retreat set in beautiful country house-style surroundings, The Fox & Hounds serves a menu of gourmet European recipes. Trained in high-class cookery schools in Spain and Italy, the chefs bring a wealth of experience, and demonstrate knowledge of a breadth of classic and complex cooking techniques. Partnering with Rothschild wine merchants, guests can choose a bottle from the well-stocked cellar.
Bonnybridge, United Kingdom
“Fantastic place, great food, great staff.. it doesn't get much better!”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Thank you for a wonderful festive Christmas meal we had a fantastic time.
This is probably one of the best pub/restaurants i have visited and enjoyed everything.

The pub itself is gorgeous, very stylish and well presented and the staff are so welcoming and helpful.

The four of us had the 3 course festive menu and couldn't complain about a single thing. The food was delicious, well presented and probably one of the best meals i have had in a pub. Even the drinks were a reasonable price.

I am gutted we live over 3 hours away but we will definitely be back next time we are in Northampton.

thank you to all.

Northampton, United Kingdom
“High price for low quality”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

My mother and I came here on my first day off in 3 weeks. I had eaten here several times and knew it was fairly good food but still over priced. However it's hard to find places that aren't around here.

Despite this we went ahead and ate here. We ordered at 16:07 and Got our food at 17:03 we had no starters and there was us and two other tables or two so this was astonishing. My mother had something from the Xmas menu which was totally different to what the waitress had described to us. Our aoli fries were infact fries covered in tartare sauce which was vile. My pork belly had soggy flabby fat on top, my mums onion rings were soggy and cold which accompanied her cold mushy, microwaved and discoloured Christmas veg. My green beans were half top and tailed and I didn't quite enjoy bits of the root between my teeth. And the pea 'shoots' were infact just stalks. And somehow my pork tasted of just lemon? Total bill for two drinks and two mains, £45. Stupid. Rubbish. Will NOT return.

3 Thank Toby H
Northampton, United Kingdom
“It doesn't get better than this.”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Wow! What a wonderful dining experience our Saturday night at The Fox & Hounds turned out to be.

On Saturday 7th December two relatives who had never been to Northampton before, were staying with us overnight for the first time. On Friday evening 6th December, following a last minute change of plan, we decided we would take them out to sample Northampton's gastronomic delights rather than entertain them at home. However, booking for a Saturday night, with only 17 days to Christmas, and at only 24 hours notice, I had a nasty feeling that everywhere was probably going to be full up. But, Bingo! I could hardly believe my luck when it was confirmed that my request for a table for five adults could be accommodated at 8.15pm.

We live only approximately three miles from the pub and have eaten there several times over a number of years because we like the current ambiance of the place. To be frank, there had been one or two occasions early on when the experience was a little disappointing but not enough to put us of eating there again. After all, everyone has their off days.
On our arrival at 8.00pm for our 8.15pm table, a very pleasant young lady immediately confirmed our booking and asked if we would like to go straight to our table or have a drink at the bar first. We ordered and paid for drinks at the bar but then opted to go straight to our table as the fifth member of our party arrived. The drinks were promptly brought to the table.

The restaurant was full and there was a really lively buzz of people enjoying themselves but not so loud that it spoiled conversation.

Menus were brought to us straight away by the Maitre D' and we were pleasantly surprised by the choices on offer as it turned out to be a newly revised menu. In addition to the main menu was the option to select a special fixed price (but variable with the number of courses) Christmas menu.

After allowing sufficient time for us to make decisions, a lovely and attentive waitress named Danielle took our orders and checked to see if we needed any more drinks. She quickly returned with the bottle of wine ordered and dispensed it into our glasses. We fully expected to have to wait some time for our meals in view of how busy the place was. But no! In a very short time the four different starters ordered appeared. Presented in a nouvelle cuisine style they were not only a delight to the eye but all agreed that they were also very satisfyingly tasty.
So far so good then. But could the standard be kept up?

We needn't have worried. Our plates were removed promptly by Danielle after the starters had been consumed and within a relatively short space of time she and another waitress returned with the five different main course ordered. Four were A la Carte and one was from the special Christmas menu. Once again the presentations were visually pleasing and very complimentary comments were soon being exchanged between us as we each sampled the creation that lay before us.

At an appropriate point Danielle came back to ask if everything was satisfactory and whether or not there was anything else we required. Everything was and we needed nothing else.

Our empty plates were again removed promptly and Daniell brought the sweets menu. Four items were ordered and arrived after a minimal wait. All matched the standard of the previous courses and in combination with the accompanying coffees made a fitting finale to to a superb dining experience.

The total bill for 5 including a bottle of wine at £18 but excluding a gratuity, was £141 which we felt was completely justified by the high quality of every aspect of our visit. There was nothing that we could criticize from the moment we arrived and received a friendly greeting, to our departure for home two and a half hours later. Excellent food, excellent service and good ambiance. If the Fox and Hounds can keep up this level of customer satisfaction, there is no way I am ever going to be able reserve a table again on a Saturday night with only 24 hours notice. Their competitors have been warned!!

Northampton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic pub grub, and a particularly great Sunday roast, when compared with a number of other local restaurants.”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Had a Baked Camembert to start (a shared starter), very good, followed by a Whole Spit Roast Chicken dinner (a shared dinner), with a selection of very nice trimmings, the chef also coming from the kitchen to carve at the table. Straight forward desert - I only had ice cream, nice quality though, and my partner had a fruit crumble, had to taste a bit, which was very good also.

I've grumbled following past visits to the Fox and Hounds, and have overall found it to be a bit hit and miss. Very inconsistent in fact, at times excellent, sometimes dreadful. But whoever appears to be running the kitchen at the moment, particularly tonight (08/12/13) has made us very happy.

The service is for the most part always good, and the staff appear to be interested in carrying out their duties to the best of their abilities, are very polite, and contribute greatly to the Fox and Hound's warm atmosphere.

Northampton, United Kingdom
“The Fox & Hounds with 3 kids”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I have driven past this pub but never ever gone in. We arranged to go there with some friends who have 2 kids so 4 adults and 5 young kids in all. I must say that the decor was superb and the pub had a really warm and welcome feel with a couple of crackling fires and a nice cosy lounge area to welcome you. Our table was ready for us straight away and the waiters were friendly and welcoming. They took our drink order and the drinks arrived promptly and the beer that I chose was excellent. The choice of food on the menu was very good and they had a decent kids menu. Two of mine chose from the adult menu as they were hungry but there was also the option of getting smaller portions of the adult pasta meals. The food arrived in adequate time and was of very good quality, with the kids portions being really generous. A few of us had puddings and I can recommend the French Lemon Curd and Almond Sponge! All in all a great meal and a perfect environment for catching up with old friends. The kids enjoyed it and even though it was a rainy day, didn't get bored.