Dosa Hut
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We'd been missing the food we sampled in Southern India 2 years ago til we found this place. Great masala dosa, puris and everything else we remembered and loved! Friendly, efficient service too. We will be back.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

After visiting Sri Lanka and enjoying the food and hospitality there we though we should try this Northampton Restaurant, so booked a table early on a Friday evening. We were the first in the restaurant that evening, so sat down in a quiet and peaceful area of the retaurant to look at the menu. The menu is written on dark paper with dark writing so is difficult to see in the dimly lit room. The waiter kept asking if we were ready to order whilst we were browsing the extensive restaurant and enjoying a good chat together, it seemed like the waiter was in a hurry to get us through the system, maybe he knew something we didn't, but we told him on a few occasions that as we were still the only customers in the restaurant that we were not in a hurry and we would let him know when we had chosen our courses.

Two of us ordered "2 fish fillets" these were fishcakes, very spicy, not fresh at all and no sign or taste of fish in them, was this another sign of things to come we wondered.

Ordered a couple of beers and a glass of red wine in the mean time, the beer helped to wash down the tasteless fish cakes.

Our various traditional Sri Lankan main courses arrived, we had asked for mild spices and expected the food to be hot, we were still the only people in the restaurant at this time, the food was only mildly spicy and only mildly hot - we were quite disappointed by this time and regretted haven chosen this place - its hardly a restaurant, it just seems to be a hobby that someone has put together, the service wasn't great and the food was not good at all. Calling it a "Hut" is the right adjective in this case!

One of our party was quite ill afterwards and is sure it was something that was eaten in the "Hut".

Definitely will not be going back here again, poor food, poor service, an overpriced dissapointing experience that we will quickly forget. Stay clear!

4  Thank L16gsy
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We have eaten in many parts of south India and Sri Lanka. The food at Dosa Hut is authentic, tasty and reasonably priced. Helpful service from VJ and very good food from the chefs from Tamil Nardu and Kerala. Nice atmosphere with Indian music playing. Particularly recommend the masala dosa for lunch! Jim and Linda

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I come from the South of India and whoever tasted south-Indian restaurants in other parts of the UK for example "Chennai Dosa" and "Thattu Kada" in different parts of the UK can undoubtedly say that the food they serve is below average in meeting the expectations of the average south-Indian. I don't care all this as far as I am given excellent service. Everything went well till the new management took over. The new guy who owns the restaurant is the most arrogant guy I have ever come across in the UK. My friend who works for the "PIZZA EXPRESS" had a pizza that he brought with him after his work. This manager guy was so arrogant to us as we had that take away cover with us!!! He shouted at us to put the pizza on shop floor to continue to eat the food we already received. We explained to him why the pizza is with us but he had no ears to listen to the truth and he insisted on the pizza being removed from his sight...!!! So horrible and weird..!!! None of us could understand why an Indian/Sree Lankan restaurant owner is annoyed at the sight of a "PIZZA EXPRESS" packing? Has he ever had a pizza!!!

I will never ever visit this restaurant as I strongly believe that I pay not only for the food but also for a better service. Neither me nor my friends were respected as customers and on the contrary were insulted before the other 3 customers who were having their food there.

Finally I would like to request everyone to double check the receipt before you pay.

1  Thank subashmj1981
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I have been travelling to Northampton of late and Dosa Hut is a brilliant find. They are one of the few south-indian restaurants that I have been to in the UK and found authentic food.
The items are reasonably priced and the staff is very friendly.
Would definitely recommend.