“Best afternoon tea :)”

Ranked #41 of 536 Restaurants in Northampton
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Just had the most amazing afternoon tea here. What makes it is the savoury stand. The warm cheese scones with chutney were one of my faves. The sweet stand was gorgeous as well. All unique little cakes. Will be going back soon. Value for money, beautiful surroundings and delicious food.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

12 family and friends went to The Dining Room on my 80th birthday. We had afternoon tea which was outstanding. The savoury stands of pastries, cheese scones and sandwiches were delicious. Then came the sweet stands of scones, jam and cream and lots of gorgeous cakes. Teas and coffees wears replenished several times. All the time we were looked after by very friendly staff. We could not manage to eat it all BUT we were given boxes of our cakes to take home. We could not fault anything and will be back again. Thank you to the owners of The Dining Room for making my birthday afternoon so happy.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I went with a friend for afternoon tea and can say we were not disappointed in the slightest! A whole 3 tiers of savoury treats and then another 3 tiers of sweet goodies! Everything delicious! This is the only afternoon tea we have not been able to finish but it didn't matter as we got to box up what we didn't eat. The unlimited tea was a lovely extra too! Will be returning x

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Although very small, the menu is good and the food is excellent.
My grandchildren were treated like adults by the staff and they loved that. (They were 6 and 7 at the time). The food suited us all. The fact that the Dining Room is attached to 78 Derngate, a house worth viewing, by Rene Mackintosh, open to the public, it is an experience worth recommending.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

My sisters and I had chosen The Dining Room for a private surprise dinner for my mother's 60th, based on word of mouth only and WOW we were not disappointed.

Rachael was just amazing, accommodated our every need, so responsive to (all!) my queries and made the entire night everything that we could have wished for. We had a party of 18 people, the menu was tailored for specific requests, the room was decorated with our banners and balloons, and the birthday cake was beautifully displayed. Not once did I feel like any request was a bother, even with the constant request to turn the lights up and down so the guests could take photos!

The food - ooooooooooooooh the food. Fussy eater is a tag I'm trying to shake but still, with that in mind, for ME to say the food was stunning is a big deal!! I personally had; Mozzeralla wrapped in Parma Ham, Gressingham Duck & Chocolate brownie with Caramel ice cream. WOW you just couldn't fault it, it was beautiful. Talking about it is making me hungry! Even my mother had only declared moments before we sprung the surprise dinner on her that she definitely wasn't hungry...and she ate all 3 courses! Such amazing value for money.

On top of all that the waiting staff served us all with such ease, no one was left waiting for food, nothing was cold, there were no mistakes on the orders, which is what you want of course but here it was just done so efficiently and professionally.

All our guests thoroughly enjoyed the evening and have nothing but compliments - a massive thank you to Rachael and her team.

The Dining Room just makes me think happy thoughts - oh why didn't I know about it before....we'll be bake for the Afternoon Tea!