“Best place for Halloumi Fries”

The Red Lion at Brafield
Ranked #89 of 650 Restaurants in Northampton
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Pub, Grill
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Based in the pretty village of Brafield-on-the-Green just outside of Northampton, The Red Lion is a traditional yet upmarket country pub surrounded by Northamptonshire countryside. A real retreat for anyone who visits, The Red Lion offers a relaxed ambience and superb Modern European cuisine. The lounge is a cosy space filled with leather sofas, the garden is simply beautiful and the dining room is the slightly more formal area. At the helm of the kitchen is Chef Chris Simpson who boasts extensive experience on the London gastro pub scene. His menu is full of exciting dishes such as braised corn fed chicken with bean and chorizo cassoulet or lamb rump with rosemary polenta, Savoy cabbage and red wine jus. Having received a nod from none other than Egon Ronay, The Red Lion is well worth checking out if you are in the area.
Reviewed December 22, 2017 via mobile

We came here for a Friday night meal with friends and we were seated in the booth in the restaurant which I was really pleased with.

We drank Cabernet Sauvignon red wine with our meal which i would recommend

I had the Turkey Roast Dinner as I was feeling festive and randomly the halloumi fries as a side which were incredible, you must try these...

I gave this 4* instead of 5* as one of my pigs in blankets was missing the blanket which was disappointing as this is my favourite part of an Xmas roast.

We were also big gravy fans so perhaps with pies and roast dinners a gravy jug may have been better.

All in all we had an amazing meal here and we will be returning.

Thanks

Reviewed December 22, 2017

A member of a small chain including the Brampton Halt and Bugbrooke Wharf, these pubs serve similar seasonal menus, together with Christmas fare and a good selection of beers and spirits. The pies are real pies with a pastry base and top, not a bowl of slop with a disk of pastry on top. Pork belly is delightful and due to my need to have a traditional Christmas lunch I went for the turkey, a n received a very large portion. Others chose the prawns or fish and chips. A thoroughly hearty meal was had by all 6 of us, well served and we were not rushed. Only possible gripe was the time it took to be served food, which was not an issue to our party but then we are retired and not on the clock. Would thoroughly recommend this pub for lunch.

Reviewed December 19, 2017

We visited this yesterday on Monday 18th December for lunch

Starter were fine , but oh dear my risotto, well was not risotto,
which should be a cream tasty bowl ( that is was not)

What i got was the worst i ever seen, it was yellow to (WHY)
it was mixed of rice from other menu WHY! OH WHY!!
it had no taste or seasoning nothing , my wife tried it she said it was just no good.
she was very upset that you would serve such a disappointing Dish

Lets face it to cook a good risotto is not that hard

Please CHEF Check seasoning before you send food to customers !!!

2  Thank exmouthdavy
McManusPub, Guest Relations Manager at The Red Lion at Brafield, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2017

Hi
Firstly thank you for taking time to leave a review, I am only sorry it was not a more positive experience for you. Our risotto is a very popular dish so naturally, I am disappointed it did not reach our usual high standard.I would like to discuss and rectify your recent visit and would be grateful if you could contact me at feedback@mcmanuspub.co.uk.
Regards
Matthew

Reviewed December 16, 2017

On Friday 15th December 2017 I took 30 of our walking group for lunch, following our December walk, at the Red Lion. Some of us chose our meal from their Christmas menu and some chose from their regular menu. We were all served delicious, hot food, timely and with excellent service. We all enjoyed our meals and would recommend the Red Lion at Brafield without hesitation. Great food with excellent service.

Reviewed December 4, 2017 via mobile

Good choice of food in a nice ambiance. Nice atmosphere and good parking facilities. Nice friendly staff too