“Never again!!!”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I am so perplexed by the manager at this restaurant, I'm afraid this will be a long one!!!

My husband and I, along with two friends visited the Blackwell Ox last night for the first time in years, and remembered why we had stopped eating there in the first place. (It has not been the same since the wonderful chef they once had, left and opened up his own venture; The Pig and Pastry, in York).

The evening went off to a promising start. The young waitress was really friendly, and the serving time was ideal. But it went downhill from there. One of the starters (the soup) was nothing to write home about, then my Ribeye stake (ordered medium/rare) turned up medium/well done! It was edible, so I ate it - but not to my liking. Then the desserts (this is where things hit rock bottom). The two men ordered Mixed Berry Eton Mess. When it arrived it looked nothing like an Eton mess I had ever seen before. It was a wine glass laden with berry coulis, with some cream. My husband found ONE piece of merangue in his, and our friend couldn't find any. It was so over powered by the berry coulis, that it was not at all pleasant. Our friend left his and complained to the waitress. Well to cut a long story short....We asked that they remove his one dessert from the bill. The manager came over and began to get very stroppy. Accusing our friend of eating the dessert (when he hadn't) and went on and on. It probably went on for around 5 minutes. It was really bazaar, and I am sure that all the other guests could of done without the entertainment. She made a total fool of herself in our eyes, all for a £5 dessert. She ended up storming out of the room. We did get the amount taken off the bill - but a bit too late to save the situation, and we shall never grace their restaurant again. It was such terrible customer service that it was actually funny! What a shame.

3  Thank Michelle22_11

Reviewed August 26, 2011

We went here for lunch a couple of weeks ago (early August), and were really looking forward to it after reading the reviews on here. Unfortunately we were very disappointed.

The place is lovely inside, but our initial impression was soon dented somewhat when we sat outside and found a large pile of dead wasps (literally - someone had swept them into a pile and then not cleared them up) on the table and a smelly ashtray overflowing with cigarette ends and water from the rain the night before. Surely a quick look outside would have been enough to see and deal with these issues? With that, we went back inside where it was not much better - dead flies and wasps on the window sills and the first chair I pulled out!

Anyway, enough of the decor and on with the food. Definitely a meal of two halves. Presentation was amazing but my scallops for starter were still cold in the middle, and my fish for main was swimming in butter and overcooked. Mrs Xraybloke's starter (courgette fritter) on the other hand was delicious, as was her main course (which I'm ashamed to say I can't remember what it was, but it was the vegetarian option). Very odd.

The real ales (Timothy Taylor Landlord and Copper Dragon Golden Pippin) were both well kept; the choice of non-alcoholic drinks was also very good. The wine list looked very good but we didn't try any of them.

Cost seemed slightly pricy for a pub lunch (£55 for two courses each plus two beers, two soft drinks and two coffees) but not ridiculously so.

On the basis of my meal alone (and the dead wasps and flies!) this would have been a two star experience, but the quality of my wife's meal plus the drinks and the service lifted it to three stars.

3  Thank xraybloke
Reviewed June 22, 2011

food was delicious,lots of choice on the menu.the only thing i didn,t like was the fact that too many tables were crammed in the restaurant,a little bit too cosy for my liking,couldnt have a private conservation without the next table hearing you.

Reviewed March 5, 2011

We visited the Blackwell Ox for dinner for the first time last Saturday night. We eat out regularly but can honestly say this was one of the best meals we've ever eaten. The restaurant itself is small and intimate and the bar staff very welcoming. The meal began with a lovely little complimentary Blue cheese and Waldorf salad, which we followed with Tomato and star Anise soup and the Rib eye steak, The dessert of Salted Caramel and chocolate tart was to die for, worth visiting for alone! The only criticism we had was that the waiting staff were very young and a little offhand/slow but on the whole a lovely night and we will definitely be visiting again soon.

Reviewed October 15, 2010

Top end restaurant food,in the local,and at reasonable prices Who could ask for any thing more.