“Not very good”

Park View Guest House
Ranked #168 of 195 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 18, 2013

On the plus side, I was e-mailed beforehand, seemed well organised and owner was friendly - and breakfast was fine. On the negative no completentary shampoo or soap (although there was the remains of some soap from previous guest), shower poor , asked to pay up front which seemed odd, rooom not particularly clean (a few stray hairs here and there) and decor frankly depressing. £40 for a single - probably should have been £20 - £25.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sheffsnr

Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Although good location and welcoming and clean.i stayed 1 night .went to reception and staff took my debit card .Transaction went strangely straight to asking me for my pin number....not showing the charge which thecard machines normally do.then theguy at the reception said that he accidently added £40 cash back on my card....which I didn't request. I asked for the the transaction to be altered to just the price of the overnight stay but he said he couldn't do this and would sort it out day after. ..I didnt even get offered the cash back which I said I would take..morning after....was informed the cash back would be credited to my card 2 working days. ..not acceptable. I demanded the £40 cash back. That I never wanted in the first place. Got this....very dodgy and dont think a genuine mistake....so be careful with the card transactions

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank cazbah111
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my husband for 2 nights - service was good, room was average (although pretty clean!) and breakfast was poor. For only £50 a night for 2 people we did not have high expectations and overall was average. Did have free parking!!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thefuzzynormals
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Spent two nights here recently and found room perfectly adequate with everything totally spotless.
Small shower room but good shower and lighting and very clean. Good breakfast and very good service, owners very welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ida S
Reviewed September 21, 2013

my friend and I spent 5 days in the park view guest house in room 5 and the only fault the toilet and shower room was on the small side the owners were very nice nothing was a bother breakfast was good with a choice on the English breakfast menu lovely coffee and HOT toast
I have been in many places where the toast is made and left and served cold and hard, the beds and towels were changed regular although we were only there 4 nights/5 days. There was parking too a big bonus as it is very near the minster thank you to all at the park view next time in York we certainly will be coming back

Room Tip: room 1 excellent twin if you can't do stairs
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank joan059
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Got a warm welcome and took straight to our room, which was small but clean. It's not far from the city centre, which is a big plus point. The problem for me was the noise from the road and screaming locals all through the early hours. This would probably not be such a problem during colder months when the windows are shut, but last weekend was really hot so the windows were open so the noise kept me awake - earplugs are a must! Breakfast was dissappointing - it didn't really taste of anything. All in all it was an OK place to get your head down for one night but we wouldn't stay here again, sorry.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Amanda M
Reviewed August 19, 2013

If you just want accomodation close to the city centre, then this place will suit you down to the ground. Really great location. As for the room itself - it's soooooooo tiny!! Boy, do they pack those rooms in. For example, we only had one bedside cabinet - there wasn't room for two. Regarding service, that was very good and helpful. Parking was great - if you turn up early enough. I think there are 8 rooms available but only maximum for 5? car parks. Breakfast was a bit greasy - and no cereal was available on our first morning of stay. It's worth noting thjat breakfast is only available 8am - 9am. The impression I got was that they did the minimum possible to comply with the standards they needed to - but there wasn't anything above that. Overall it was cheap and cheerful but we won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple