“Not the best...”

Park View Guest House
Ranked #166 of 195 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Got a warm welcome and took straight to our room, which was small but clean. It's not far from the city centre, which is a big plus point. The problem for me was the noise from the road and screaming locals all through the early hours. This would probably not be such a problem during colder months when the windows are shut, but last weekend was really hot so the windows were open so the noise kept me awake - earplugs are a must! Breakfast was dissappointing - it didn't really taste of anything. All in all it was an OK place to get your head down for one night but we wouldn't stay here again, sorry.

2  Thank Amanda M

Reviewed August 19, 2013

If you just want accomodation close to the city centre, then this place will suit you down to the ground. Really great location. As for the room itself - it's soooooooo tiny!! Boy, do they pack those rooms in. For example, we only had one bedside cabinet - there wasn't room for two. Regarding service, that was very good and helpful. Parking was great - if you turn up early enough. I think there are 8 rooms available but only maximum for 5? car parks. Breakfast was a bit greasy - and no cereal was available on our first morning of stay. It's worth noting thjat breakfast is only available 8am - 9am. The impression I got was that they did the minimum possible to comply with the standards they needed to - but there wasn't anything above that. Overall it was cheap and cheerful but we won't be staying there again.

2  Thank Andromeda5000
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Would love to be able to give a full review of this place but can't because they're, in my opinion, dishonest.

I made an Internet booking a week before the races for 2 night at £180. This was on a Saturday; the next day I got a call from them telling me their booking system was faulty and that they'd been booked up for weeks. Imagine my surprise when lots of web sites still showed availability but now at £350 for the same two nights!!

I rang the guest house to check this and was told they had several types of rooms available - which would I like? It was then I explained who I was and that, despite having an email confirmation from them, they'd cancelled my booking. Cue lots of spluttering and poor excuses.

Book at your peril and my next step is to inform Watchdog.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Off their P
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Let us start with the location which gets eight out of ten as it is an easy walk into the main attractions but not the most scenic of walks for much of the journey. Now lets move on to the service which is friendly and first class and the family room which is very big and can sleep six plus. The final good point is that the owner also owns a nearby Indian restaurant in which we had the best Indian meal we have ever had. Although this is great it also explain what to us were negatives. One is the decor which is way too Indian in style for our taste when in York (which would not be the case were we in Agra). Second is the breakfast whereby I can cook Rogan Josh as well they can cook full English and I am afraid to say that my Rogan Josh would not be up to much should an Indian family visit me. All that said the guest house almost, but not quite is a place that I would book again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Alan S
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Our priorities when we book a place to stay are
1. Parking
2. Location
3. Price
4. Good food.
We certainly had all four.
The owners couldn't do enough for you. Everything we asked for, especially at breakfast we received.
There were a few negatives however. Bathroom was tiny. You had to sit at an angle whilst on the toilet to avoid the sink. The room itself was also small. The double bed in the room meant that there was no room for other pieces of furniture. No bedside cabinet meant I had to put all things such as my book, glasses, water, phone, clock etc on the floor when going to sleep. The towels although changed daily were really grubby. We felt perhaps a womans touch was needed. All in all for the price we paid, I think the place was just about right. Whether we would return, I don't know.

2  Thank nursemeg21
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have stayed in a variety of accommodation for work and pleasure, ranging from tents, youth hostels, travel lodges and hotels. I frequently have weekend breaks and am happy to say I have never have had any problems. until now. I made a booking for this place via iyork and everything seemed fine, although it did say it was a provisional booking. So I phoned up a few days later to confirm and got told it was okay and he put down the phone before I had a chance to ask anymore questions. I was taken aback but assumed he must have been busy. However, there was no booking for me and I was stuck having to get last minute accommodation after arriving - since this was the weekend of the York races most places were fully booked and everywhere else was very expensive! This was not a good start of my holiday! I will be coming down to York frequently for my work and this place will definitely not be getting my custom!!!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank Avril W
rassal, Manager at Park View Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

SIr

we are very disappointed in your review not only is it fictional but it seems to me you have a personal problem first of all you booked with iyork not with us direct so if they mess up your booking this is not our fault it did say provisional booking so why did you turn up knowing its not a live booking. you did not call us at all to confirm anything, if you did we would of told you that its a provisional booking and that you do not have a room booked. i think you was finding it difficult to book anywhere so you thought you could pull the wool over our eyes and just turn up thinking we may give you a room thinking its our fault well no sorry,

please do not book with i no york they have done this a few times and please be aware for future reference that provisional does not mean live booking if you want you can take this up with iyork but as the hotel goes its out of our control

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great little guest house near the Minster and Uni. Clean, rooms and ensuite small but adequate. Nice decor and fantastic breakfast. People very friendly and helpful. Would definitely go back. Steep stairs with some traffic noise but still slept soundly.

Room Tip: Book early x