“ghost in the toilet?”

Ranked #12 of 34 Dessert in York
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 18, 2016

Visited the tea room and enjoyed loveiy afternoon tea in the garden with the family. The staff were efficient and friendly. Before leaving i visited the ladies toilet,whilst washing my hands felt what i thought was a child grab me by the leg but no-one was there.

Date of visit: July 2016
Write a reviewReviews (478)

Reviewed July 17, 2016 via mobile

Went for lunch here on Saturday and sat outside in the sunshine enjoying a high tea with some friends and my daughter. The staff were lovely and very helpful with our requests which differed from the menu slightly. Excellent choice of cakes and all delicious! The outside area is well shaded and I would recommend it to anybody who would like a traditional lunch in a great location!

Reviewed July 16, 2016 via mobile

We popped in for a cup of tea and cake when shopping on The Shambles and it was a good decision. It was a sunny day so we sat in the garden which was very relaxing. My husband had the cream tea and said the scones were tasty, and I had a lovely slice of Victoria Sponge - though it was difficult to choose from the selection. Service was quick and friendly. It is quite pricey but that's because it couldn't be more central. A premium worth paying.

Reviewed July 9, 2016 via mobile

Situated in the shambles the Earl Grey tea rooms is a good afternoon stop off.

Service is good , and they serve loose tea Earl Gray which is a bonus.
Cakes were nice I wish we had arrived a little earlier to enjoy a cream tea.

Reviewed July 6, 2016

We stopped here for lunch as we liked the look of the place from the outside. This is a lovely English Tea Room serving traditional food as well as a good selection of teas. They also have outside seating at the back that you wouldn't expect from the front of the building.