“Forgotten gem, in the Shambles.”

Earl Grey Tea Rooms
Ranked #9 of 27 Dessert in York
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2014

The last time we were in York we had dinner here, and I forgot all about it!! Foolish me!!!

We had dinner in a little café, which was awful. During our York wander we passed the Earl Grey Tea rooms and remembers how much we enjoyed our dinner from there last time. Having eaten earlier, and not enjoying it, We decided that we had enough room to have something from here.

We had Assam tea, which was beautiful, we even bought some to take home.

My mum, who isn't as greedy as me, just had a toasted tea cake, and I had the smoked fish platter, which was absolutely fantastic. I love smoked fish and this had my favourites on it. Smoked salmon, mackerel and trout, yes my breath was somewhat evil after, but I didn't really care. The platter came with salad and bread.

The meals were well priced to say we were in the middle of a tourist city.

The toilets are clean, and although one of the toilet doors does stick, it also has a notice informing you of this when you enter, not surprising the door sticks abit, the building has been there for a very long time.

The staff are friendly, and as mentioned before, the prices are not outrageous, to say that its in the middle of a tourist city.

The cakes are to die for, not great for your waistline but, they are worth very single calorie.

If you like proper tea, come here, if you want some time out from the hustle of a busy city, come here, if you like good food, fair prices and quality service, come here.

There are newer reviews for Earl Grey Tea Rooms

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I visited the tea room a couple of days before Christmas it was throwing it down with rain and we needed somewhere to have a quick lunch. Being so close to Christmas we had walked past a number of restaurants which were packed out but this one seemed inviting and not too busy. We were given a table upstairs by the window looking out onto the Shambles where we could watch shoppers rushing by in the rain. The staff were pleasant although not overly chatty. The food came in a reasonable time and was well presented and tasty. The tea came with strainer and extra water. The cake we tried was delicious. The price of the sandwiches I thought was a little bit expensive. I had to wait too long to pay at the counter downstairs in the little shop area. All in all I would go there again - a pleasant experience.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Visited here yesterday afternoon having visited in November. Had a nice lunch with jacket potatoes, sandwiches and cream scones between us. The hot chocolate drinks were very popular, staff pleasant.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

It looks like the perfect place to take afternoon tea in the picturesque setting of York's famous Shambles. The 15 minute wait for a table only served to raise my expectations - so too did the specials menu offering everything from Yorkshire puddings to pizzas, not to mention a wide array of cakes.

The reality is sadly very different. There's barely a trace of a smile on the face of the staff and service generally seems to be surly at best. Our order consisted of two jacket potatoes with chilli, one chilli and rice, and one tuna melt. Not the most complicated of meals to make, but only the latter was finished. Undercooked potatoes, dry tasteless chilli, soggy rice and stale nachos don't make for an appetising meal.

With two reasonably good teas, a bottle of coke and a beer, all of which came to around £40 I would have just written this off as a bad experience.

However, something much more alarming also happened. I am allergic to nuts and have been ever since I can remember. When I order something I consider risky I always mention this in a restaurant - never though when I've ordered chilli.

I was a little shocked light brown objects in my coleslaw which the waiter confirmed as peanuts. The offending item was removed and the potato replated in a few minutes, which was great despite being made to feel like I had upset the conveyor belt.

What worried me most of all throughout the remainder of my unfinished meal was that if I had dived straight into the coleslaw I'm not sure what the outcome would have been. Having settled the bill I explained the risk that this posed to people with nut allergies, met with severe disinterest and a reprimand for not alerting him when I placed my order, for a jacket potato.

I don't want or expect special treatment when I'm in a restaurant because of an allergy. I want it not to be an issue - which it is in 99% of the places I eat at.

The moral of story is be careful if you have an allergy when you eat here, and if you can eat your food don't expect to be that impressed.

The one disappointment to an otherwise fantastic weekend in York.

2  Thank Ben S
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We should have known better - only 2 people in and the guy had to ask for a clean cup for his tea, he did then say that the last time he heard this background music it was at his grandmothers funeral.
I think they are trying to be traditional with the sugar cubes and old fashioned tomato ketchup squeezy thing ... but my wife had to give back the burnt toast, and then complain that the scrambled eggs were really a chopped up omelette and why it was served with cold tomato, cucumber and cress is another mystery.
My poached egg on toast were ok but not worth £6.85 appeared to be a be a business on its close down route.
The owner did say he wouldn't charge u for my wife's attempt at food to be honest wish we had never gone in, possibly worst meal had since doing TA reports!!